rookie question about tone...

Howdy, all. I should know the answer to this, but it's been such a long time I could use some help (I've spent WAY too much time with my POD and a pair of headphones)...

I just recently bought a BOSS GT-6 for live shows and have been knocking myself out trying to dial in a tone on my 4x12. If, for just a second, we can all agree to forget that an 'all-in-one' unit like this is not the best for tone, here is my dilema...

I was sitting in front of my 4x12, I dialed in a sound that was decent, I stood up and it sounded awful. I made some adjustments, stepped two feet to the right and again it sounded totally different. So where do I want to be sitting/standing when I'm dialing in my tone? The sound changes so drastically as I move to or from my cab that I don't know where to hear the 'true' sound of my rig...

I realize this is kind of silly and borderline zen, but I could really use your help. Please give me your thoughts, advice and suggestions...

J

Okay, I'm not super-qualified to answer this question, but here's some grist for the mill:

Are you planning on micing the 4x12? If so, let the mic do your "listening" for you. Move the mic around the speaker until you hear the sound you want coming through the PA. Keep in mind that closer to speaker = more up-front; farther from speaker = more ambience. If your mic is picking up the sound you want, that's what the audience will hear (and you, too, if you have stage monitors).

Just my 2 pesos, dude. ;)

Sorry to be so slow replying to this, beaverbiscuit... Anyway, I'm trying to avoid doing too much through the mic because I'm planning to use the same rig for live shows and don't want to rely on the club's sound guy to dial it in.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this? How do you all dial in your rig -- sit on the floor in front of your speakers? stand a few feet in front of your cab? Where's the 'sweet spot' that gives you the most accurate idea of your sound? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

J

For the average club it's going to be 10 feet in front of it and most importantly - at gig volume.

. . . and as a sidebar - get a tube overdrive of some kind.

foo

the mesa boogie v-twin is a monster, speaking of tube overdrive. wow. it would be worth the time to find and try one of these.

almost everything sounds pretty good when it's blasting straight into your ear. until the point at which sound gets annoying/painful, louder is generally considered better to most ears.

there's my 2 cents. keep the change :D

Back