Resonator pick up suggestions...

Bill L

Massivdonian
I bought a Fender F 50 CE which has a tele pick up at the neck and piezo on the bridge. I has individual volume controls for each and a tone knob as well. My problem is even though I can get a usable sound from the neck pick up, the resonator pick up just really sucks. Shrill and thin are the only way I could describe it. Anyone have any suggestions on a decent replacement? I hear many resonators that sound fine with the piezo pick ups so there must be something out there.

I'm also thinking of changing the existing 1/4" to a TRS jack. The thought was to split the outputs of the pick ups for individual EQ's and pre amp's to tame it/shape the tone for each. Any other suggestions? Any thoughts pros and cons for either scenario? Anybody even play resonators?

Thanks,

Bill L

Your main problem with piezo is that they are intolerantly bright and quacky. When you add that to an instrument that is alredy very bright there isn't much wiggle room. The best amplified sound I've heard from a resonator and by no means have I heard a ton of them was using a Highlander under biscuit model. You may want to investigate them. A buddy of mine swears by them. Never fitted one so not sure whats involved.

Back