refret job questions

daav, around these parts you're looking at $200 - $250, depending. More for bound necks and stainless frets.

In my shop, typically $350 for an unbound rosewood or ebony fingerboard. $450 for a bound fingerboard or a maple fingerboard. If we need to do extensive work on the fingerboard (a lot of sanding to get it flat, or rebuilding worn bits) it will go up based on our $80 an hour shop fee. Add $150 to any of the above for stainless steel. We also get an $18 shop fee, which covers the cost of the fret wire.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

yikes!
Spendy. Probabaly well worth it for quality instruments.

Thanks for the info guys.

Daav

Just one thing I'd mention . . . I have seen a few people think they need refrets when a good fret dress has got the guitar back to playable condition again. Sure, sometimes there isn't enough meat left on the frets to take another dress but often there is even though it might not appear that way.

One local guitar tech once did a fret dress on a 25 year old guitar I thought needed refretting and it was fine afterwards, certainly good for another few years. He offered to take the price of the dress off the price of a refret if I still thought it needed one, but the dress was fine.

So unless you are sure those frets need replacing I'd get a good tech to take a look and advise you.

Just one thing I'd mention . . . I have seen a few people think they need refrets when a good fret dress has got the guitar back to playable condition again. Sure, sometimes there isn't enough meat left on the frets to take another dress but often there is even though it might not appear that way.

One local guitar tech once did a fret dress on a 25 year old guitar I thought needed refretting and it was fine afterwards, certainly good for another few years. He offered to take the price of the dress off the price of a refret if I still thought it needed one, but the dress was fine.

So unless you are sure those frets need replacing I'd get a good tech to take a look and advise you.

That's what I had done w/ my strat a while back....the fret dress cost $110-ish, and the guitar played like new again.

Back to the stainless frets, IMHO, if you've got a guitar worthy of a refret, seriously consider the stainless. I love them. Brightened the tone only slightly but they really hold up.

Back