Refinishing a guitar?

People tend to rush finishing because it's the last thing to do and they want to get it strung. Thats a major mistake.

That's me, alright. Finishing seems to be the biggest obstacle for me. Like Mutt said, you're at a point where mistakes are visible. Have a plan that is widely accepted. Test the plan. Stick to the plan.

and I'll just leave this here...

TEST ON SCRAP..

That's me, alright. Finishing seems to be the biggest obstacle for me. Like Mutt said, you're at a point where mistakes are visible. Have a plan that is widely accepted. Test the plan. Stick to the plan.

and I'll just leave this here...

I've made all those mistakes... come across all those problems. I'm sharing all this so you don't have to...;)

Remember I trained on Rolls Royce and BA corporate jets... Where good enough aint good enough..

Did I mention...

TEST ON SCRAP...:)

Woah!

Thanks for the detailed responses.

I didn't know I could/should primer over the shellac :o
Glad you pointed that out. For now, I won't be doing anything for a few days because of weather and because of installing ceramic tiles in my dads office for him.

I haven't been able to find anything higher than 400 grit in Lowes :(
I'll check around in the other stores and see what they've got!
I'm also going to have to find a way to hang this thing up while I paint it. I'm thinking of threading a wire hanger through the bolt on hole(s) and hanging it from something. But I might just buy a little plank and bolt it to where the neck bolts on?

Say, should I test on scrap? :)

When I'm doing something that outside the spray shop I'd want to be able to handle the thing properly so I'd use the false neck...

IMG_1868.jpg

The weather here in Mississippi has me stuck inside for a while. Also, the bridge fits, but the machine heads don't :( the peg things are abnormally long on the originals. So, I'm just going to reuse them. Which means I'll be returning the new ones along with the bridge since its gold and the old hardware is chrome. I do, however, want to convert the tremolo to a hardtail though. Because the old bridge is just hopeless every screw and unusual mounting screw is striped or warped. The fine tuners are weird and messing with these floating things the strings thread thru. Idk, it sucks.

I've looked into a few trem to hardtail conversion pieces. Looks like Ill need to bring out a saw and fill the cavities with wood. I wonder if the type of wood matters?

The weather here in Mississippi has me stuck inside for a while. Also, the bridge fits, but the machine heads don't :( the peg things are abnormally long on the originals. So, I'm just going to reuse them. Which means I'll be returning the new ones along with the bridge since its gold and the old hardware is chrome. I do, however, want to convert the tremolo to a hardtail though. Because the old bridge is just hopeless every screw and unusual mounting screw is striped or warped. The fine tuners are weird and messing with these floating things the strings thread thru. Idk, it sucks.

I've looked into a few trem to hardtail conversion pieces. Looks like Ill need to bring out a saw and fill the cavities with wood. I wonder if the type of wood matters?

I'm located in Mississippi too.

if it was me I wouldn't try to fill the hole and switch it to a hardtail. bridge. I would get another trem bridge. It would be by far the easiest thing to do. Then you want the beidge to be a stationary non moving bridge...just lock the trem block with a piece of wood.

Back