Recoring Acoustic Guitar Direct

I'll have to change strings on my old D-28 so I've got something to A/B. I have limited microphone resources to capture the guitars acoustically, but I'll see what I can do in the next week sometime.
As for my interest it would be simple enough just to hear the modeling' aspect. I'm sure that alone would speak for itself one way or the other.

Alright I just slapped something together so it's pretty rough but gives an idea of the sound. You can hear the "phasiness" in a few places I think.

Quick little guitar riff played in this order:
1) Dry Piezo
2) Preset 1 100% wet
3) Preset 2 100% wet
4) Preset 3 100% wet
5) GPC Aura GT through a Dayton EMM-6 (the flattest mic I've got)
6) 1973 D-28 with dead strings through the same

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yc97l5hf0hzysvg/Fishman F1 Aura Plus Comparison.wav?dl=0

There is some resonance in the wet mixes; I forgot to click off record monitoring and I think there was a little boominess added as a result. Oh, and I would not call this a quiet guitar acoustically; it cuts very well and is nearly as loud as my D-28.

Thanks for doing that. Presets 2 and 3 seemed to sound like they'd be pretty useful- decent improvement over the piezo for sure.

Yeah, again sorry for the crude nature of the test. #2 gets a little phasey to me, but #3 is actually the one I am using live for now (until I get into that thing and set up something custom). The big thing for me was I was handed that guitar, looked up the manual on my phone, and in five minutes figured out the tuner and blend functions and was sounding pretty damned good through my amp. That instant gratification might not make for great direct recording but it sure will sell guitars!

It is certainly a compressed signal - pop that .wav into your DAW and take a look. The dynamics on the acoustic recordings are much more pronounced. I'll try to get some time to set up an SM57 by the cutaway (one reason I hate cutaway acoustics, BTW - it kills a great place to mic a guitar) and an X-Y SDC pair on the 14th fret and then record direct at the same time so I'll have three signals to compare. I just wish I could get a stereo out wet/dry mix into the DAW so we could roll it all into one performance for consistency, but at least I'll be able to have an acoustic recording and direct recording of the same performance to A-B.

"It is certainly a compressed signal - pop that .wav into your DAW and take a look. The dynamics on the acoustic recordings are much more pronounced"
Interesting. I didn't pick up on that in the listening- mostly was looking at the tones I suppose.
Yeah, #1 really struck me first off as that same old 'wild eq to simulate AC guitar' that's been around for so long.

Back