Recording electric guitars with modelers WITHOUT going direct

Anytime someone sticks a mic in front of a modeling amp, that mission is accomplished.

Yes, quite! Sorry wasn't clear in my first post. Meant modeling floor units (helix, hd500, etc). Something without a speaker.
So if it's a floor unit and it's being run through something with a speaker and a tweeter or horn, are there guys who mic that by mic'ing both the speaker and tweeter/horn, or do they basically say screw that and just go direct?

From what I've seen around here, mostly they just run direct and use a speaker simulator or cabinet impulse through a convolution reverb in their DAW.

Actually, the vast majority around here that do sims just use something like Amplitube that has a speaker sim built in, or add a stand-alone speaker/cabinet sim right after it in their DAW.

I've heard results that range from godawful to passable, and one or two examples that were pretty damn good.

You could probably play your guitar through a really clean amp and then run that signal into the modeler. I don't see why you'd do that tho; it'll really affect the tone.

I've started messing with modeling lately, and my strategy has been to split the signal at the DI: one channel is the DI, which goes through the modeler; the other goes to an actual amp. Then I blend the two to taste.

I've built a couple rigs that were a Pod Pro through a tube power amp (Mesa 50/50 or Marshall mp-1) and into a cabinet. That was a live rig and it got miked up. The internal cabinet simulator was turned off.

Everything I've heard of Helix sounds really good actually (but then it is very expensive). Dunno why you'd do anything else except go direct though - its pretty much designed for it.

Cool tone man! Kind of a Steve Cropper/Stax Volt meets the blues kind of thing.
What kind of tele were you using? I'm assuming it was a tele.

Actually, I was using a friend of mines gibson guitar with humbuckers. It's a thin bodied guitar with a bolt on neck....body cut like a les paul, Maple fretboard, longer scale fretboard than a les paul. It a mid 70s gibson. I can't think of the model name at the moment but Carlos Santana played one for a while.

Actually, I was using a friend of mines gibson guitar with humbuckers. It's a thin bodied guitar with a bolt on neck....body cut like a les paul, Maple fretboard, longer scale fretboard than a les paul. It a mid 70s gibson. I can't think of the model name at the moment but Carlos Santana played one for a while.
It's either an L-6S or a marauder.

My first real guitar was an L6 deluxe. Same guitar, but with a set neck and rosewood fret board.

Back