Recording Electric Guitar— The Science and The Myth

He could have saved himself 4 pages and all those diagrams and frequency response charts and just said:

"Place the mic relatively close to the grill...and then move it around a bit until you find a tone you like."

:)

The science geek in me actually enjoyed the read. No real ground-breaking revelations as a result of his efforts, but i think it was an interesting experiment.

The read was good and his in-depth testing...but it's not like he came to any specific conclusions about how to record great tone.

I think what often happens is people over-think and over-complicate the whole thing.

They got mics all over the place....they got rulers out and their measuring shit....and they get caught up in some pseudo-science, basically looking for a math solution to something that is purely about subjective tone tastes and needs...
...when you usually just need to move the mic around and find the best tone YOU like for a given amp/cab/speaker/song.
Sometimes a 1/4" left/right, up/down or front/back...and it's either great or sounds like ass.

I think what often happens is people over-think and over-complicate the whole thing.

I think that's exactly what happens, usually because they read crazy shit on the internet.

Disclaimer - not saying this article is crazy. I didn't read it. I'm just saying in general. The internet is full of nonsense.

Back