Recording Acoustic Guitar

rossjp

Luckily, as a student, I have access to an incredible production studio complete with Pro Tools, soundboard, and various other expensive pieces of equipment. With a setup such as this, what would be the best way to record an acoustic guitar, and what would be the best to record an electric guitar. I'm relatively new at this digital recording thing, so don't think you're going to hurt my feelings with your responses.

Also, I need to record some drums and bass...any suggestions on how to go about that? There are two sampling keyboards in the studio, should I use those?

Thanks

I've had my best results using a large diaphram condensor at about ear level, with the capsule pointed straight down at the floor. Next, position yourself and the guitar so the capsule is a couple inches BEHIND the bridge of the guitar. Using headphones you can dial in the "sweet-spot" pretty quickly.

For my taste, this technique gives me what I'm used to hearing when I play, and with the capsule about 18-20 inches above the guitar you have a pretty wide sweet-spot to work in.

I've found also that this puts your head in the null of a cardiod pattern, so breath noise is reduced. If it gets to be a problem, try rolling the capsule away from your head 15-20 degrees and adjust your positioning with the guitar.

If you have a pretty quiet studio to perform in, another idea is to put a LD condensor about 24-48" IN FRONT of the guitar and go for it. You'll need a very quiet room and a lot of clean gain from your pre for this. This is the technique I'm working towards at the moment. You can use gobos to tame room reflections if the room is a bit too "live". I'd put gobos behind the mic, and also behind your position too. Adjust to taste.:)

Let me see if I have this right. You have access to an "incredible studio" and either (A) the people in charge of the studio are going to let a novice in there by himself to play with the expensive equipment or (B) the people in charge of the studio do not know how to record an acoustic guitar, drums, or use a keyboard.

Back