:::A real Guitar Amp:::

nicolaad30

Which of these four amps has the best sound and is enough loud to compete with a drummer that goes nuts when having stiks and a can in front of him...

*Fender Cyber - Deluxe
*Fender Rod Hot Deluxe
*Line6 - Flextone III
*Vox - 1x12 Valvetronix

Which one would you buy...

i have a hot rod deville. it has so much reserve volume that i have NEVER turned it up all the way. you can damage your drummers ears with that amp.

half way up is deafening

i usually gig with it on 2 and 1/2

I don't know how much power the Valvetronix has, but probably not enough for a heavyhanded drummer. You would probably need a 60 watt or more solidstate with 2 12s to compete.

HotRod is awsome. The Blues Junior is the came only less watts. I don't think a BJ will keep up with your drummer. Mine can't when its get heavy....HotRod Deluxe is the next step up....Delville is WAY TOO MUCH.

CyberDeluxe, its 65 watts, should do......

Line6............I'm sure it can hold its own.

I would have to say......what do you need? Do you need a plenthora of sounds and effects (Line6, Vox Valvetronix, CyberDeluxe)? Or do you want a single amazing tube sound that cannot be duplicated?

Even better than a HR Deluxe, is a Deluxe Reverb......check for a used one for the same or cheaper than a HotRod. DR has a tube rectifier and TRUE Fender Reverb. Its hard to explain, but.......That tube rectifier gives it a thing called "sag".......learn it......love it..........

Oh yes everyone, I would like to announce that I am the Proud Owner of a Super Reverb. Compliments my BJ very well. Gotta love stereo delay and chorus..............

Actually I'm not looking for lots of effects, but what about amp modeling.
With a CyberDeluxe I can get almost the sound of all Fender amps (same to Valvetronix).
With a Line 6 I should get the bests amps existing.

But do they have the exact sound of a tube amp, like the Rod Hot series?...

If I had to pick from your list, I would go with the Fender Cyberdeluxe probably. I owned a Fender HR Deluxe and never really dug it. The OD channel just didn't cut the mustard for me. It is definitely a classic Fender amp: very clean with lackluster distortion. (IMO)
All in one amps are very versatile, with lots of great tones, but they never sound like 40 different amps. They sound like 40 different tones coming through the same cabinet, if you know what I mean. And I wouldn't want "effects" in my amp. I like pedals for that.
I personally think the most affordable, versatile real tube amps going right now are the Rivera Quiana or Fandango. Great, great amps with all kinds of different and wonderful tones. Personally, I only use 3 basic amp tones, and I want them each to be the best they can be.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

Aaron,

I had a HR Deluxe but took it back for the BJ. I liked the BJ but thought I needed more power for stage (ya right)........and like you, I think the distortion is worthless on HR......

Its a one channel amp as far as I am concerned.

nicolaad30,

I wouldn't say you get ALL the sounds of Fender amps from the past. Its more of a snapshot. You might hit on it, but then its gone......you can't really play the amp of the past because it is so far impossible to emulate the dynamics that tubes bring to the table....EVEN if it does have a 12ax7 in it.

I never had much luck controling modeling amps with picking technique, seems they make you play to their needs.

I will say that the CyberDeluxe is probably a dream to record with.

I'm asking 'couse where I live I can't try myself good amps, so I've got to buy them by seeing the reviews on the Net.

I'm pressing on buying a Rod Hot Deluxe ' couse I own a Fender Deluxe, and I guess the rod hot is way the same but with tubes.

What about the clean and driven channel?. Are these worth or is it better the Fender Deluxe's one.?

Also I was looking foward to buy a set of Fender Pickups for my guitar, and I've found the Fender Custom '54 Strat Pickups awesome (well, what people say about it) on Zzounds these get like 9.4 out of 10, but are exactly what they say????...who knows.

I think theLine 6 would be tons powerful,more versatile and sound as good as any amps youlisted. Tube or otherwise. Plus you can get the pedal board with built in wah, volume pedal and tuner. And the amp has effects built in that are pretty good. I am in an insanely heavy band where volume and power is a must. With the flextone stack you will never be lacking in power. It's gain is insane, and clean tones are silky. Buy it!

I can't comment on the cyber-fender or the valvetronix, but I have a flextone & a good friend has the deluxe. It's all about what you want in an amp. The Fender tones on my line6 are great, but there's just something about a real tube amp that the digital modeling can't capture. The deluxe to me has a great tone, but it's a one trick pony. My line6 is versatile enough for me to play just about any style of music & once you master the floorboard, you have all kinds of control with no wall warts or crappy cables. For me the versatility of the line6 made it worth the lack of the one 'perfect tone'. My dream, though, is to run a POD through a Fender Super Reverb. One day...

The Distortion/OD channel on the HotRod is completely useless. But I still love the amp. The way to do it is control the break up with the guitar volume, then use a clean boost pedal (like turning up the volume on the guitar) for distortion.

Another option is to get a used Marshall 900 combo on Ebay for $500. Then you a decent clean with channelswitching that actually changes the sound.

I say get a good tube amp. Modeling amps are like a box of chocolates, eventually you will want more of one of them.

Sorry, that was tacky but I couldn't resist.

Analytical Man said:
I think theLine 6 would be tons powerful,more versatile and sound as good as any amps youlisted. Tube or otherwise. Plus you can get the pedal board with built in wah, volume pedal and tuner. And the amp has effects built in that are pretty good. I am in an insanely heavy band where volume and power is a must. With the flextone stack you will never be lacking in power. It's gain is insane, and clean tones are silky. Buy it!

Careful, Line 6s use some cheap components.

Have you ever compared a Flextone III and a Rod Hot?

One friend of mine, owns a Spider 112 I own a Fender Deluxe 90 and while playing I have noticed the diference instantly between a digital and non digital amp.
The clean channel (modeled by the line 6) wasn't even near to the Fender good one. The driven channel, has (on the line 6) nice sounds and lots of different tones that can simulate pretty good some amps out there. But you will notice the difference when using a Fender.

But again, the sound isn't the same on these two amps. What about the ones I mentioned above?... How do they sound like?

nicolaad30 said:

But do they have the exact sound of a tube amp, like the Rod Hot series?...

I don't want to sound like a smartass - but if you want the exact sound of a tube amp - get a tube amp.

If you want loud, versatile, and tube sound:
MESA BOOGIE
You can probably get a used dc-3 combo under $500

If you're on a budget and can skip the versatile part, a used Sovtek MIG 50 should cost you around $300-350 for a combo. I've tried the head and it has a wonderful shimmery 6L6 sound when clean, a nice crunch when overdriven

...but you gotta go tube whatever you do.

i own a hot rod deville (60watts) of screaming tube power! this fucker is loud. The distorted channels are alright but i use a boss overdrive pedal and the fucking distortion with the pedal is beautiful. seriously! happy hunting

Back