Quick answer please

Krystof01

Hi,
I'm going to get a bass guitar tomorrow I htink; I need to lay the bass tracks down over my guide bass tracks. I am going to get a fender standard precision or jazz but still don't know which.

I have done a search and looked at reviews on harmony central.

To ask which is better would be wrong so I'm not going to. I haven't played either and don't think I'll be able to (ie have to order in). From looking at the specs it seems that the only real difference is that the Jazz has a slightly narrower neck and also the pickup issue.

Any opionions on which; can you describe the sound/tone difference of the different pick-ups.

BTW, I might put it off and go Tuesday instead as I'm still unsure; nut I do need to have ordered one by Wednesday.

Thanks,
Krystof.

krystof-

The biggest difference IS the pickups. With the Jazz, you get the 2, which you can blend or use either to get some varying sounds from it. I think it's an advantage when used for recording. My Precision is the smoother of my 2 basses, but I think my Jazz just needs a setup.

H2H

H2H; maybe you can help me again.

I went to look for one today and I came across a fender american standard jazz bass for £300 (£ not $); used. When I asked teh sales guy he said it was indeed as American standard but something about the pick-ups not being the same as the American standard model. He said they hadn't been changed it's just the model of bass fender do/did. He reckoned it was around £500 and something new.; it is not an old bass and has no/little signs of wear.

Can you lot help me out. From my research I can see American standard Precision and Jazzes for about £900, standards (made in Mexico I believe) for around £350 but nothing in between; oh yeh and squires even cheaper.

I asked for the model/specs but he couldn't give them to me as it was second hand and he was a guitar guy. I am sceptical of buying a bass that seems like an American for such a low price. It isn't going to be the deal of the century as the store is good but not that good.

Any insight's welcome,
Krystof.

Hi again,
I rang back up this afternoon and asked him if he had found any more information out. All he could tell me was that it was indeed an American standard a stripped down version. The pick-ups are not as good as the american model/he didn't know about the bridge. How much would it cost to modify it, ie two new pick-ups (maybe duncans), and a new bridge (if required).

Thanks.

Make sure it has a legit serial number on it. Fender serials are like:

MN999999 Made in mexico, '99
N999999 Made in US, '99
E999999 Made in US, '89

Does it sau "JAZZ BASS" on it? Because there WAS a Deluxe model that had one Lazz pickup and one P-Bass pickup on it. There was also a Precicion Lite model with that pickup configuration.

Also, if it's a real Fender, there will be a date stamp in the neck pocket on the neck and the body.

H2H

I was writing while you replied...

Get the serial, this is the best step. I'd be curious what the pickups are. You should be able to get a good set for between $75-$200, depending on what you want. ( dont know pounds) More than likely, the bridge would be ok, as there are few different bass bridges made by Fender.

Get the serial, and make sure it SAYS "JAZZ BASS" on it.

H2H

Hay H2H;
I bought the bass today. Cheers for the advice. The serial number statrts N90 (so I guess yes it's American and a 1990 model?). It also says Jazz bass/made in USA and also at the top 'American Traditional'.

There was a new Jazz bass (2000 model) in the shop and I compared the two. The new one has a reinforced graphite nut and thru-body bridge but is also over 3* the price; I still reckon I got a good deal.

Concerning the pick-ups, well I don't really know much about bass pick-ups, they look the same as the new Jazz one but they won't have been the same. In time I'll replace them if I have any difficulty.

Thanks for the advice H2H,
Krystof.

I think you should be happy to get that bass for only £300. I wouldn't have hesitated for a second. Let me know if you're getting rid of it (hehe).

Funny that; someone wanted to buy it off me in the shop before I'd even bought it.

The price was so good that I had to leave it another couple of days so I could check it out; make sure it was the real thing.....with H2H's help and a bit of other research.......I love this bass.

I recently bought a J-bass made in Japan, from '92 I think. It's OK, I'm more or less using it as a backup if I break a string on my P-bass during a gig. But it doesn't have the punch of a "real" J-bass.

There are heaps of pickups to try out if you would want to change the sound.

Back