Q for Bass Players that use more than one bass

walkinbass

I'm looking for a better way to handle two or more basses on a gig. It takes too long to turn down, unplug switch bass, plug in, turn sound up ... adjust ...etc.

Is there anything wrong with the idea of having each bass set up with it's own cord, plugged into a little mackie 1202 and then send the singnal from the mackie to the bass head (GK1000RB) ?

I could hit the mute for channel that a bass is plugged into on the mackie .... switch bass... unmute new bass channel....

I could already have levels set, could use the mackie eq if needed for each bass....

One would want to be careful not to over load the GK....

Thoughts on this? Cautions?, pros and cons.... ???

(I have a 1202 sitting around that doesn't get much use anymore... just brain storming....)

Two words:

Wireless.

System.

When you go wireless, you can have a bunch of basses with you, and as long as they all have transmitter packs (or whatever the hell you call them) set to the same frequency on them, you can use one reciever and plug that right into your amp.

I just turn the amp off, unplug the bass, put that bass down and grab another bass, plug it in, turn on the amp, twist the knobs, and start playing. It shouldn't take more than about 30 seconds to switch axes.

you could build a simple 2 in 1 out patch box with an a/b switch. can get the parts at radio shack. When I played key bass and electric I had one, and would just flip the switch.
I also have one of those 1000's too. mine is just the head, its called the 1000rcb. great little amp. I like lightweight :)

I have to use the upright and fretless quite a lot in some of my bands, so I invested in the A/B box by Boss. Kinda more expensive (about 150$ over here) but very versatile, and with a lot of options: you can connect 3 instruments to 1 amp or vice versa, connect 2 diff FX loops, each with their own volume control... *very* versatile.

Herwig

walkinbass said:
I'm looking for a better way to handle two or more basses on a gig. It takes too long to turn down, unplug switch bass, plug in, turn sound up ... adjust ...etc.

Is there anything wrong with the idea of having each bass set up with it's own cord, plugged into a little mackie 1202 and then send the singnal from the mackie to the bass head (GK1000RB) ?

I could hit the mute for channel that a bass is plugged into on the mackie .... switch bass... unmute new bass channel....

I could already have levels set, could use the mackie eq if needed for each bass....

One would want to be careful not to over load the GK....

Thoughts on this? Cautions?, pros and cons.... ???

(I have a 1202 sitting around that doesn't get much use anymore... just brain storming....)

The best and fastest system would be to build a double-ended bass. This bass would have a neck on each end of the bass body. The strap would have a round swivel mounted exactly in the center of the bass body. All you have to do is twist the bass around and switch necks. Instant!

I am such a genius sometimes................

1.A good (therefore expensive?) wireless
2.The A/B Boss mentioned already
If I have to use both my instruments live,I cannot use neither of these devices.... just take my dual-channel head and that's it,because my axes are very different (one of them is a 6-string Yamaha TRB JP,fitted with a GK2B to a Roland V-Bass,the other is a 4-string Warwick Streamer fretless with no effects).
I'd never use a small mixer for that function (soundwise,I'd never rely on a small mix'EQ),though I must agree that a bass player handling a mix should be somehow spectacular for the chicks :D :D
Regards,

You can't really use the mixer idea - impedance mismatching will screw your sound up.

I just hit the mute on the amp, which also kills the DI to the PA. Unplug, unstrap, strap, plug, adjust EQ if you need, unmute - might seem like a long time but actually it is only 30 seconds or so.

Easiest would be to use a Planet Waves cable with the on and off switch on the plug. Plug the switch end into the bass/guitar jack. To switch basses turn off the cord, unplug it, plug into the next insturment, and hit the switch! ;)

SteveK said:
Easiest would be to use a Planet Waves cable with the on and off switch on the plug. Plug the switch end into the bass/guitar jack. To switch basses turn off the cord, unplug it, plug into the next insturment, and hit the switch! ;)
+1 on the Planet Waves cable. I have one and like it alot. It cost me about $30 at Sam Ash. High quality IMHO.

Back