Putting Volume Pedal between Head and Cabinet?

RCAGuy05

The complete setup is unnessary to explain but basically one aspect would be a running a speaker cord from the Tube Head to a THD hot plate, and then from the speaker out of the Hot Plate to a volume pedal, and from the volume pedal to the cabinet.
This is basically so I can use the line outs on the the Tube head and THD to run independently into seperate processors while the dry signal can be 'volumed in' and 'volumed out', make sense?

Even with the hot plate, I would not try this. Seems like you're either going to get horrible output quality, or something going up in smoke. Why don't you just get a Y cable to go from your line out?

Errr, just re-read the post. Yeah, don't do this. Not a good idea at all. All that voltage will fry that poor little pedal. You'd be better off getting pre/power amps and going from the output of the pre into the volume pedal. This is not a good idea, and possibly unsafe for your head, and for you.

Last edited:
RCAGuy05 said:
The complete setup is unnessary to explain but basically one aspect would be a running a speaker cord from the Tube Head to a THD hot plate, and then from the speaker out of the Hot Plate to a volume pedal, and from the volume pedal to the cabinet.
This is basically so I can use the line outs on the the Tube head and THD to run independently into seperate processors while the dry signal can be 'volumed in' and 'volumed out', make sense?
You want to put the volume pedal in the effects loop of the amp. What you are saying will not work.

WAIT wait wait wait, so do you have another power amp and cab to run the "wet" signal? I think you actually do need to be a little more specific on your setup, because as it stands I don't see how you'd be adjusting the wet/dry mix, you'd just be adjusting the actual volume.

I kinda figured this is something that wasn't gonna go. Actually I have a 5150 II Head w/ a 100 watt 15' cab.

Ok Ok here is the hypothetical set up:

I have the 5150 head, 15' cab, and I wanna get 2 processors and 2 seperate amps to run them to. So my dry signal is there. And with the 5150 to the THD hot plate, and hot plate to my 15' cab. On the Hot Plate I get a second line out(THD's line out).
So I wanna line out of the hot plate to a processor>guitar amp, line out of the 5150>another processor>to another guitar amp. So I have my 5150 running a solid dry signal to the 15 cab while the two other guitar amps have seperate processed sounds, like slightly matched delays and what not, so basically sonic crazy awesome-ness.
But I really want the option of taking out the dry signal while still retaining the the 2 wet signals, and be able to switch on the dry when I want, or even 'swell' it in with a volume pedal.
Anyone know of a more efficient way to this?
NYMorningstar mentioned running a volume pedal through the 5150 effects loop, would that work independently of the 2 wet signals?? Or would the volume pedal end up turning down the volume of the dry signal AND the 2 lined out signals as well? Man this is fun.

Back