PRS guitars? Worth the money?

Feanor IV

Hey,

I can afford $1500 for a nice new guitar, and I was thinking I could go for a PRS or a Gibosn Les Paul. I'll go to a few stores to try some guitars, maybe on Thrusday, so I thought I'd ask you guys first and see what you think. Small questions:

1. Would you choose a PRS or a G. Les Paul yourself? (just a general answer, in your own subjective opinion ;))
2. Which brand has better equipment in my price range?
3. Which styles suit each guitar better?
4. Any specific model you can recommend?
5. I know that both brands mostly make expensive guitars, so do you think their inexpensive models I'm interested in are worth the money??

Thanks so much in advance!! :)

Please consider the Carvin CT6 or CT4. More options than can be listed here. If you ask this question in their bbs, you'll get a lot of feedback.

Les Paul - no doubt.

They're both pricey, but I think the PRS's are really overpriced. Just my opinion.

I have a Les Paul Custom and love it dearly.

It's all personal preference. Don't get boxed into judging by brands.....it simply doesn't work. The only way to realy be satisfied is to try out as many different guitars as you can and then pick the one that does it for you.

But if you're dead set on PRS vs. Gibson, I prefer gibbys. :p

Do yourself a favor and try the ESP EC-1000 First.

You can pick up two ESP EC-1000 guitars for around $1600.

With Duncans or EMGs.

Attachments

• blackesp1.jpg
    blackesp1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 57
  • AmberESP1.jpg
    AmberESP1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 46
I owned a PRS, but I sold it. I found out that no matter how much something is worth, if it's not for you or doesn't achieve the tones you like, or just doent feel right, then it's a piece of shit.
I turned around and bought a '72 Tele deluxe reissue for $700 and spent the rest on a shitload of new recording gear.

The 72 tele was a guitar that I fell in love with at the store and found myself going back to play over and over. I love my new guiitar and I play it all the time - whereas the PRS was just collecting dust - even though it was worth more than twice the amount and was a Pre-94 handmade guitar to boot.

How do you FEEL about PRS's and Les Pauls? Which one do you prefer playing and why and what kind of sounds do you like/want?

Todd

apl said:
Please consider the Carvin CT6 or CT4. More options than can be listed here. If you ask this question in their bbs, you'll get a lot of feedback.

I'm starting to think we have a new Manning1 on our hands :D :p ;)

i've been told by 2 friends that the cheap prs models are actually really good guitars. we all agree that the cheap gibsons leaves a lot to be desired. just so you know that i don't just hate gibson, I have 2 higher end gibsons. Gibson also seems to have more quality control issues than PRS. the only problem i have with prs is that fact that i think they're super ugly.

donkeystyle said:
i've been told by 2 friends that the cheap prs models are actually really good guitars. we all agree that the cheap gibsons leaves a lot to be desired. just so you know that i don't just hate gibson, I have 2 higher end gibsons. Gibson also seems to have more quality control issues than PRS. the only problem i have with prs is that fact that i think they're super ugly.

My drummer had a PRS SE with the bolt on neck. It was okay for the money, but solidly in the middle of the budget guitar group. I was overall unimpressed.

while looking around a 1500 budget, look into a Gretsch Duojet (G6128) ... G.Harrison, Dave Gilmour, jadajadajada

Thanks a lot for all the info! :D I really appreciate it! Keep it coming ;)

BTW, "super ugly"? I adore their looks!!! :D So, I guess donkeystyle's opinion under my point of view would become: "BUY A PRS" :D

You could also look into a heritage, They are ALL made in the U.S. and are generally less expensive than Gibson or PRS. I'd jump all over one if they'd just beef up that headstock.

1. PRS
2. PRS
3. Both are great for rock, heavy rock, possibly metal, blues, etc...
4. Custom 22, or 24.
5. I'd say save your money and get one of the higher end models, just my opinion. I liked the tones a lot better, thought they were more flexible than the budget ones and they definitely recorded better.

A few quick things about the PRS as opposed to the les is that the PRS is a lot lighter and I thought the action was better. I play a lot of shred, fast scales and lots of fast metal/metalcore so it was a no brainer for me at least. I also believe the neck is smaller as well which makes it easier to go up and down the neck.

apl said:

I see that they'll put a floyd rose on one for ya. I wonder if that would kill the sound?

Considering I OWN both and have owned LOTS of other guitars, I guess I'm a good person to ask.

If you want a Les Paul, you just want a Les Paul. There is nothing that is going to compare it. You can get a cheap knock-off or an Epi which can be made into very good sounding and playing guitars. BUT you will always long for the real thing, and never be satisfied until you're playing the actual guitar you want. Dont comprimise. Gibson does seem to be hit or miss for some people in the quality department. Its best to shoparound, as usual, and you'll really do best if you buy used. Guitars aren't like cars and wear out. Quite the opposite, a well taken care of guitar will usually be more comfortable to play and sound better after its been broken in and set up properly. It is also quite a better investment, as you won't lose the 30% off the top of buying a new instrument.

PRS Guitars are great, too. But if you are wanting a Les Paul, even a great PRS won't fill that. I personally really like PRS because they are much more confortable for me to play than a Les Paul. I like the Strat-ish body style combined with the dual humbucker set neck setup. And the quality of PRS guitars is absolutely top notch, bar none. Ive rarely if ever in my life heard about a quality issue with a PRS guitar. I play a McCarty, which is a thicker more vintage toned guitar. Its named after the creator of the Les Paul, Ted McCarty, and is made to sound sort of like a vintage Les Paulish sound. While it doesn't really sound like a Les Paul to ME, it is a great guitar in its own regard. The PRS is a more versatile guitar, as it has splittable pickups and can sound close to a Les Paul and close to a Telecaster in some positions. So it has become my take anywhere do anything guitar.

But if theres a certian tone you have in your head, or a certian look you really want, you can't fill it by a comprimise guitar. Get the tone youre really after and the look you want to have for a long time.

H2H

Oh, one thing to think about in refrence to PRS price and quality. Fender and Gibson each crank out something like 10,000 guitars per week. PRS has max output of 150 guitars per day for their US built guitars.

H2H

Both PRS and LP are fine guitars. I have both a LP Custom and a PRS Custom 24. I prefer the PRS for both feel and sound. It has the best neck and playability of any of my guitars.

I found that the setup of the PRS was better than any of the Gibsons I have. It also cost the most, so that is a factor for most.

Most here who have less costly PRS models also like them as well. The last 1/2 of PRS cost is mostly finish (color, top, neck markers, etc). While pretty, these add little to feel or sound.

For those who play long gigs, the PRS is much lighter, which is a plus for a 4 hour job.

Ed

Back