Power adaptor alteration

Clive Hugh

Can anyone give some advice on this one? I have several pedals and use a power adaptor for each one which ends up in an untidy mess. I have seen adverts for one with several outlets but as yet they are not manufactured for Australia's power plug configuration which is 3 pins and 240 volts.
So I was thinking if I got a large adaptor, say 500ma output and added a few plugs to it, as long as the total of the demand is less than the output it is capable of would it work or would I fry something when only one pedal was being used?
Clive

Clive Hugh said:
Can anyone give some advice on this one? I have several pedals and use a power adaptor for each one which ends up in an untidy mess. I have seen adverts for one with several outlets but as yet they are not manufactured for Australia's power plug configuration which is 3 pins and 240 volts.
So I was thinking if I got a large adaptor, say 500ma output and added a few plugs to it, as long as the total of the demand is less than the output it is capable of would it work or would I fry something when only one pedal was being used?
Clive

As long as a power supply is well regulated, it delivers the same voltage throughout its rated current output, so there should be no prob.

Clive,

If all the pedals use 1 std 9V battery, in other words, if their pwr requirements are 9V DC, then get a Boss Power Adaptor (or one with equivelant output specs) and just buy an adaptor daisy chain from a music store. They plug into the power adaptor and have about four plugs on them for pedals. Just make sure that all the pedals have the same +/- configuration on their power input sockets............I can't remember what is the norm but there are the odd pedals where the + and - are reversed on the input contacts.

:cool:

ausrock said:
Clive,

If all the pedals use 1 std 9V battery, in other words, if their pwr requirements are 9V DC, then get a Boss Power Adaptor (or one with equivelant output specs) and just buy an adaptor daisy chain from a music store. They plug into the power adaptor and have about four plugs on them for pedals. Just make sure that all the pedals have the same +/- configuration on their power input sockets............I can't remember what is the norm but there are the odd pedals where the + and - are reversed on the input contacts.

:cool:

Just make sure that the total current requirement of all the devices you want to power does not exceed the power rating of the adaptor. And like he said, be careful of the polarity; reversing the power and ground can severly damage solid state devices.

Aus & Gordon,
Thanks, all my pedals use the same + - configuration which is why I thought of going this way. Ausroc I was under the impression that adaptors with multiple leads weren't available in Oz at this time, certainly not in North West W.A.
Aus do you know anyone who has them in store.
Clive

Clive Hugh said:
Aus & Gordon,
Thanks, all my pedals use the same + - configuration which is why I thought of going this way. Ausroc I was under the impression that adaptors with multiple leads weren't available in Oz at this time, certainly not in North West W.A.
Aus do you know anyone who has them in store.
Clive

You got Radio Shack there? You can get a one input to several output adaptor there.

Back