Portable Rig

stevieb

Just another guy, really.
The "Fun Project- Build Me a Tone" thread inspired me...

Have been working on a good, but portable rig for a while. "Portable" is of course, subjective, even in my own mind- usually, I might think of it as me being able to make one trip from car to stage, without staggering under the weight or number of handles; sometimes I get a bit extreme and think, "Hey, what if I could go to rehersal or gig on my motorcycle?" So, here are my ideas, for each- what are yours?

One Trip from CAR to STAGE:

Genre: Warm Blues/Rock

Guitar: Westone Thunder 1A OR Westone spectrum SX- I like 'em both 'cause they have humbuckers (two in the 1A, one in bridge position on Spectrum) with coil taps and splitters- thus I can get both HB and SC pup sounds out of one guitar.

Stompboxes: Aeron stomp tuner, Ibenez TS-7, Dunlop Wah, Digitech JamMan.

Amp: Fender Deluxe Reverb. Seems to be good balance between low-power drive and enough volume to keep up with the mix.

Cab: Amp's a combo...

I also play harp, so add a decent harp mic and my box o' 12 harps (one in every key!) and my C Vibrato harp, and I am good to go. With effects and harps in a messenger bag or similar, I can get everything to the stage in one trip. If I am also playing some accoustic, the guitar goes in a gig bag and I can still- altho just barely due to the amp's weight- make it in one trip- but I sometimes have to pause half way and give my amp-carrying hand a rest.

MOTORCYCLE PORTABLE: This rig is less refined- still working on it, and frankly I rarely travel via motorcycle to rehersal or a gig. Given that if something falls off, it will get rather bumped up, I take that into consideration...

Genre: Warm Blues/Rock

Guitar: Strat copy, with HB in bridge and coil taps and splitters retrofitted. In gig bag with backppack straps. Either strapped to the mc's luggage rack or on my back.

Stompboxes: Boss DS-1 and portable tuner, in front pouch of guitar gig bag.

Amp: Gallien-Krueger 250ML, strapped to rear luggage rack of motorcycle.

Cab: None- I would either play thru the GK's bullett-proof 6's, or plug into a cab or board at the location.

Harps: Older, but not blown-out harps and mic that is expendable if need be.

Back