Playing live:what do I need?

Spitz

I have a small amp that sounds considerably less than the drums when my drummer plays softly. It really sucks, and it's knocking me off 'cause I want to start playing live concerts with my band.

What do I need?

I'm talking *small*, 15-20 max people concerts in my backyard and stuff like that, so I don't really need super high-tech monitors and 12-foot cabinets and all that fancy stuff.

...for now :D.

Anyway, what do I need to get? I'm on a tight budget, but I don't want to specify anything since I'd like you guys to point me in the right direction for a start (even though price is a concern).

Basically,

I have the guitar, the cables, but I'm looking for an amplifier (or whatever works for this situation, you guys tell me) that'll provide a clean, punk-rock guitar sound.

Thanks a LOT! :D

It would help to know what amp you are playing through right now. How many watts? Solid state or tube?

You will likely need a minimum 15 watt tube amp, running it damn loud, or better yet 30-40 watts, which will give you more headroom. Personally, I am a Fender guy, so I would say the Blues Jr. for 15W, and a HotRod Deluxe for a 40W amp.

Solid state: you will want at least a 25W amp to keep up (a Fender Frontman 25R), or more like 50W solid state.

the Traynor YCV40 is cheaper than a fender hot rod, it is 40 watts, and it suits my style better than a fender (a bit more distortion). Its all tube, spring reverb, effects loop, and all the usual stuff.

I'll second the blues Jr. That's what I got. You can get some dirty toob tones when it's cranked.

I don't do punk though so I can't say for sure. Still, I would think with a ts-9, you'd be doin' fine.

You can actually get 4 X 12 cabinets pretty cheap nowadays. I've got a Behringer one that I paid 200 bucks for, and while this may not be the greatest sounding set of speakers in the world, they are definitely more than adequate for the price.

Back