Pickups & strings distance?

AlfredB

Hi there, I wonder if there is a recommended "ballpark" figure for the distance between the strings and the pickup?

how will the sound be influenced if the pickup is too close? (i know sustain will suffer)

how will the sound be influenced if the pickup is too far away from the strings?

thx
alfred

I've heard the hieght of 2 nickles stacked on top of one another.

That might be the closest you want to get, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure of the exact measurement.

I figured I might as well look it up...

Setting the pickup height

After adjusting the action and string height, it's a good idea to adjust the height of the pickups. If the pickups are too close to the strings, the magnetic field can affect the intonation, especially with single coil pickups, as well as cause undesirable distortion. In addition, a pickup that's too close to the strings can kill your sustain since the strong magnetic field will cause the string to stop vibrating prematurely.

Always check the height of the pickup while fretting the string at the highest (last) fret. Measure from the top of the pickup to the bottom of the string. You can also use the pickup height adjustment to balance the the volume and tone of your pickups. For example, if there's too much bottom end, you can lower the bass side of the pickup a bit more to lessen the low end. If you have too much treble, you can lower the treble side, you need to experiment to find the perfect setting.

If you set both pickups to the exact same height, the neck pickup will almost always be louder than the bridge pickup. You can balance this by setting the neck pickup a little lower than the bridge pickup. Also, when you have both pickups selected simultaneously, you can adjust the tone by changing the heights of the two pickups so that the mix is more balanced. What it really comes down to is personal preference in tone and output.

The specs put forth by the manufacturers are merely starting points to depart from, they're not ironclad settings. If you have humbucking pickups with adjustable pole pieces as well - six adjustable screws on top of the pickup, then you can make fine adjustments for individual strings by tweaking the corresponding screw for a given string. This is a good way to balance out individual string volumes. You should start with all pole pieces screwed down flat against the pickup, and make necessary adjustments from there.

Considerations for Single Coil pickups:

If you are working on single coil pickups, you need to keep the heights lower than humbuckers because the magnets are typically much stronger. Prior to beginning a setup, make sure that the pickups are not too close to the strings, or you'll get misleading string buzzes, and intonation problems. The magnets influence is much stronger on the bass side of the pickup due to the mass of the bass strings, so in general, the bass side of the pickup should be lower than the treble side. It will take some experimentation to arrive at the perfect balance of tone and volume, while still maintaining accurate intonation. Remember, the strong magnets used in single coil pickups can cause sharp intonation if they are positioned too close to the strings.

After you make adjustments, check the tone of your guitar each time, and keep fine tuning it. It may take a while before you arrive at the perfect mix for your preference, but it is achievable. If you get a harsh type of distortion from your guitar, try lowering the pickups a bit to yield a creamier, more natural type of distortion. The key here is to experiment.

Specifics for Gibson Guitars

Neck Pickup Bridge Pickup:
  • 3/32" on bass and treble side 1/16" on bass and treble side

Specifics for Fender Guitars

Pickup Height Bass side Treble Side:
  • Texas specials 8/64" 6/64"
    Vintage Style 6/64" 5/64"
    Amer/Mex Std 5/65" 4/64"
    Humbuckers 4/64" 4/64"
    Lace Sensors As close as desired, allowing for string vibration

That's a good look up. There are a few other things to keep in mind, too. It depends on the pickup and the sound youre going after.

For instence, if you use EMG pickups you can get them right up to the strings as close as you want because they do not magneticaly interfere with the strings. Same goes for other active EMG type pickups.

Also, if the pickups have adjustable pole pieces, which Gibson humuckers do, as well as many other humbuckers, you can raise or lower the individual poles to make the srtings all more balanced for you, or to make something stand out. They're very versatile that way and you can experiment to find your own tone.

With single coil pickups, there is a max closeness to the strings, like said above, but I know guys who have the pickups flush with the pickguard and I know people who put them up at that max just before they start pulling too much on the strings. And they both like the sound they get from doing it their way. So there is room to play and experiment with what you like the sound of.

H2H

Good points, it's really a subjective topic taking into consideration all the varibles of adjustment you can make.

Like everything else in recording you have to adjust and listen, adjust and listen, adjust and listen, ect...

JKestle said:
Setting the pickup height

After adjusting the action and string height, ...

Wow, that's complecated.

Here is an easier way.

Fret your high E string at the highest fret, and set the treble side of your neck pickup about 1/16 of an inch away from the string, when freted at the highest fret. Adjust the bass side so the low E matches the output of the high E string (use your ear, the low E has more mass, so it will be furthur away than the high E). If the pickup has adjustable pole pieces, adjust those so the output of each string is about the same. Adjust the bridge pickup so it has about the same, or (for some) slightly more output than the neck pickup. This should not take more than 5-15 minuites, depending on how many times you have done it, and the guitar. A Les Paul Custom with three humbuckers will take longer, as you need to match each pickup, to match one another, and adjust the pole pieces on each. A Tele goes supper quick.

Done.

Feel free to experiment a little, and see if you like having the neck or the bridge a little hotter (closer to the strings), or a little cooler (further from the strings). Maybe you feel a need for the low strings to be a little hotter, or a little cooler. Go for it. Play around. This is one of the things which can really define your sound - personallize it - so have fun.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

As long as the magnetic field of the pickup isn't interfering with the vibrations of the string and each pickup is "mixed" with the others you're in good shape.

On fender single coils...the lower the pickups are set, the more sparkle and bell like tone you get. When the pickups are set higher, you get more mids and the higher they go, the muddier they get. Most people that hate Texas Special pickups, for example, have them set too high.

I have a set of Texas specials on a Mexican strat: The "low E" side is flush with the pickguard and the "high E" side comes up just enogh to balance the volume of the strings....they sound as good as any single coil i've ever heard. On my '66 strat the pickups are set a little higher...not much...but those pickups don't have as much magnetic pull as the Texas specials. The mex strat (with the texas specials) has just a bit more snap to the tone. :eek:( who'd of thunk it) ..but its a maple fretboard as opposed to the rosewood fretboard on the '66.

I don't think it matters a whole lot on humbuckers (as long as the pickups aren't so close it hampers string vibration) people that favor humbuckers usually distort their sound anyway. Humbuckers don't have a good clean sound (when compared to single coils) IMO, no matter how you set them. I would use Humbuckers for metal and thats about it.

jimistone said:
I don't think it matters a whole lot on humbuckers (as long as the pickups aren't so close it hampers string vibration) people that favor humbuckers usually distort their sound anyway. Humbuckers don't have a good clean sound (when compared to single coils) IMO, no matter how you set them. I would use Humbuckers for metal and thats about it.

Um, HELLO. Have you ever seen a jazz guitar player? Humbuckers, clean, 90% of the time.

They have a DIFFERENT clean sound. Not worse or better, just different.

I mean, come on.

As I said, the neck pickup, 1/16th of an inch when the string is fretted at the highest fret is a starting point. At that point, it will not cause an excessive amount of pull on the strings. Any closer, and you start to lose sustain, and your tuning becomes less stable. Lower will have less output, and will sound different. What YOU like is a personal thing. Experiment.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
Um, HELLO. Have you ever seen a jazz guitar player? Humbuckers, clean, 90% of the time.

They have a DIFFERENT clean sound. Not worse or better, just different.

I mean, come on.

As I said, the neck pickup, 1/16th of an inch when the string is fretted at the highest fret is a starting point. At that point, it will not cause an excessive amount of pull on the strings. Any closer, and you start to lose sustain, and your tuning becomes less stable. Lower will have less output, and will sound different. What YOU like is a personal thing. Experiment.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

I said "in my opinion". I don't care for a humbuckers "clean" sound...a single coil smokes it on "clean"...but, like you say, thats my personal preference.

I've been going back and forth on this issue for a while.

I play a Gibson ES-446 with Voodoo Pickups (humbuckers with low output). I play mainly jazz/rock/country/folk/funk type stuff (haha). I got low output pickups b/c I wanted to use a Keeley Compressor which has an IC chip that doesn't like high inputs (works best with single coils). But, I've moved away from that type of compressor lately and I find myself raising the pickups to get more output lately.

The nice thing about having pickups raised is the "gutty" tone you get. My amp has 6550 tubes and is a clean amp. With the pickups raised up, I can get really gutty low end that is sharp and strong. But, then you're gonna overdrive the preamp tube more. If you don't want that, you gotta lower the pickups, or your volume, and lose the punch.

Is anybody else just never satisfied? I think this calls for multiple guitars!

Mag

Back