pickup adjustment screws

notCardio

I walk the line
I got a Proline kit at GC that has pickup rings and hardware for two humbuckers.

When I tried to add a ring, the pickup adjustment screws screwed into the pickup's holes just fine, but then they pulled back up when I put tension on them.

They're just the tiniest bit smaller than the screw that came out of there. The holes aren't big enough to have been drilled out, so what gives?

Aren't pickup screw holes a standard size? And where would I find ones the right size?

It's an Epi SG, not positive where it was made.

You got any wood toothpicks around...?

Stick the about a 1/4" or so into each hole, break off the toothpick in the ho9le, and then push that piece down a bit into the hole.
That should tighten up the screw fit.

You can even push the toothpick in AFA it can go, then break it off, and just use your fingernail to smooth the top a bit...that will really tighten up the screw fit.

I've don't that like a million times for various little screws on guitars and what have you...rather than looking for bigger screws, which only make the holes bigger...and then you need a bigger toothpick. :D

I got a Proline kit at GC that has pickup rings and hardware for two humbuckers.

When I tried to add a ring, the pickup adjustment screws screwed into the pickup's holes just fine, but then they pulled back up when I put tension on them.

They're just the tiniest bit smaller than the screw that came out of there. The holes aren't big enough to have been drilled out, so what gives?

Aren't pickup screw holes a standard size? And where would I find ones the right size?

It's an Epi SG, not positive where it was made.

What happened to the original screws and rings that came with the Epi?. use the original screws. Epi pups are metric threaded. Don't know the tech specs, but they are bigger than US threaded HB screws.

Maybe check in a hardware store or go to evilbay for screws that fit if the originals are lost.

miroslav - I'm not talking about screws that go into the wood. These are the screws that go through the pickup ring and into the leg of the pickup itself, with a little spring in between.

RFR - the guitar came without it, so I don't have the old ones. I guess I could take one from the other pickup to the hardware store to match, but I'm not very confident that they'll have one.

I guess I'll check ebay, but I figure the chances are slim there without buying more hardware than I wanted.

If you have an OSH nearby, they have a good selection of screws. A "fix" if you cant find long enough screws is to "nut" them.
Take your screw and just find appropriate size nuts.

Get the screw in there, put on the nut, and hit the nut with some solder.
In other words, you're soldering a nut onto the baseplate.

miroslav - I'm not talking about screws that go into the wood. These are the screws that go through the pickup ring and into the leg of the pickup itself, with a little spring in between.

Oh...my bad.

Yeah...I know what you mean now.
I have a bunch of various screws...lengths, diameters, thread counts. If you go to Home Depot, in the hardware section...look through the special boxes where they have the odd shit, the metric stuff...you should be able to find the long, skinny ones hatr would work. The hard part is finding the fine thread count..but as long as the screw catches, you can get away with a rougher thread count...though it could also permanently alter the threads in the holes, which is OK as long as you don't plan to switch to some different ones again.

Back