Photographing guitars (to sell)

notCardio

I walk the line
Does anyone know if there's a tried and true formula for backgrounds (colors, etc.) and angles for photographing guitars to sell online? Or does it depend on the color of the guitar? Do you want complimentary colors, or high contrast?

Keep in mind, of course, that I'm kind of colorblind. :D

I just do a few basic shots...full front, top to bottom...front of body close up...back of body...and maybe one down the neck and also the headstock.

It really depends on the guitar.
If it's something more special...then add a few more "detail" shots.

AFA the background...I just put them on a stand in my studio, and turn a couple of my studio track lights on the guitar, and that's it. I don't think there's any particular background that will make a big difference, just avoid having a lot of clutter in the background or any items that might be distracting.

If you want to get fancy...hang a bed sheet as a backdrop, or against a bare wall...and shoot the pics like that.

Hey,
I don't know about backgrounds and colours but, angle wise, I always to want to see the string height relative to nut, 12th and bridge, and a shot down/up the neck clearly showing how straight it is.

For acoustics I want to see how flat the top is so I'd take one shot with a straight edge on the top running with the strings and another of it running with (behind) the bridge, if that makes any sense.

For anything with nice glossy finish I try to get at least one good picture of it serving as a mirror.
That shows up any blemishes really well.

Like my Macbook screen....Maybe not the best example since it had no blemishes. :p

05.JPG

I think the lighting and photo clarity are more important than the background. Just don't pick anything too busy because it distracts from the item itself. I'd go with a nice basic white or grey bed sheet as the background. That provides lots of contrast against the featured item, almost no matter what color it is (well, except if its white or grey :P)

Take the item outside in the morning or evening for excellent lighting. Or if indoors, light the item from 2 different angles. Watch out for glare in the picture, and get a good mixture of full-length shots and close-up detail shots on anything important (like blemishes, special features, or anything you're particularly proud of). Make sure to get good focus. Blurry and indistinct pics are the worst. I think that as long as the pictures are clear and well-lit, you'll be in good shape.

Lots and lots of light. Unless you have invested in some big bucks lights or spent the time to build some good lighting, outdoors on a slightly overcast day is your best bet for color accuracy and minimal shadows. Then the problems are more about finding non-distracting backgrounds.

If you have to do it inside, at least get 4 or more of those aluminum "bowl", clamp-on lights and put some hi-watt (equivalent) LEDs (generate the least heat) in them. Arrange the lights to reduce/eliminate shadows, and balance your guitar on a big glass vase or hang with nylon/monofilament line against a plain white/gray wall. (Maybe put a pure white card in the frame you can crop out for white balance in your photo editor.) Take lots of pictures and only keep/use the best ones.

Back