Peavey Heritage VTX series....

thedude400

I posted not too long ago about having to sell my beloved mesa to buy a car. Well I just bought a Peavey Heritage VTX series from my buddy who only wanted $20 bucks for it. Both speakers blown. It's got 4 6L6GC/J tubes in it that all still work. It's 130 watts and has 2 12" speakers. It's in decent shape and everything works great but the speakers. I just played out of it and though both speakers are blown it was still playing some pretty awesome phasing sounds ( like the lead guitar in Pink Floyd's "Brain Damage")

First question (and I know there will be differing subjective opinions) . But is this amp a total piece of junk or is it halfway decent, worth spending $100 or so on some new speakers?

I've played guitar for 11 years now but I never have been into repairing or ordering parts, this is a first for me. What are some decent replacement speakers for hopefully around $50 a piece/ $75 at most?

A little bump. No one has any comments about this line of amps, or a recommendation for good well priced 12" speakers?

Dont know about combo models..... but the heads are power monsters that make better Marshall sounds than a real marshall.. have fooled w/ a few VTX heads and was awed by the LoUDNESS of em. Cool crunchy tone too. Get some spkrs on the cheap and rolll baby rolllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!

ive had a few older peaveys including the heritage VTX (twin) and the one i had originaly had the peavey "scorpion" speakers when they finaly gave up I replaced them with some celestions (about 75.00 a piece from american musical supply) and it turne the vtx into a completely diffrent animal. the celestions seemed to open up the throat of this beast. where the scorpions were a little darker sounding they always seemed to me a bit muffled as if you wrapped the amp in foam rubber. the celestions helped this amp shine it was crisp, clear, and seemed even louder. I guess the celestions were more efficient. this amp should have had celestions in it from the get go.... but peavey during that time was doing some real stupid stuff.

I agree on the celestions. I've replaced the the factory speakers on several of my combo amps and have gotten a much louder and cleaner signal out of them by far. The factory ones were all eminence, probably what your blown speakers are....

I think I will go for a couple celestions. The speaker output says4 OHMs minumum so I'm assuming that's what I should be shopping for ? (It doesn't say on the actual speakers) 65-75 watt, 4 ohms.

One final question. I can't afford to buy both speakers right now, can I just buy one and use it for awhile, this won't damage anything?

it all depends on how you wire them if you wire 2- 8 ohm speakers one way it will total 4 ohms (series i think) if you wire it the other way it will total 8 ohms (paralell i think) I may have it backwards but im sure someone will correct me if im wrong been a while since i wired any speakers.

What that means is you can't wire two 4 ohm speakers in parallel, as that would give you a 2 ohm load which would be too low for the amp and fry it. You could wire two 4 ohm speakers in series, which would give you an 8 ohm load and work just fine (I believe the VTX auto-senses impedance or has a high mismatch tolerance, which makes things a lot easier). My guitarist is waiting for the head version of this amp to arrive. :D

Those things are pretty snarly. One thing to consider, it's not like sticking good speakers in a $20 amp are throwing them away. You can keep the speakers and put the amp in the dumpster if it turns out to be not worth it.

gremlin said:
it all depends on how you wire them if you wire 2- 8 ohm speakers one way it will total 4 ohms (series i think) if you wire it the other way it will total 8 ohms (paralell i think) I may have it backwards but im sure someone will correct me if im wrong been a while since i wired any speakers.

Sigh...

2 8-ohm in parallel -> 4 ohms
2 8-ohm in series -> 16 ohms

Back