Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Reed Smith

Thanks

Paul Reed Smith

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey there. Im looking to buy a new guitar and im thinking of going down the PRS lane. My style of playing is moderately heavy (a bit heavier than Incubus or QOTSA) and i use a Marshall DSL50 through a 1960 4x12 cab. I am kinda agains the Fender types and more into the Gibson type guitars.
    My current guitar is an Ibanez S series super strat style (the really thin guitar) with floyd rose.
    Has anyone got any suggestons as to what kind of guitar might suit me?
    I have a budget of around £1000 = $1594.

Any help would be great. I kinda like the Mccarty ones.

Thanks
    Carvin has the CT series which is designed to compete with the PRS. I don't know if it will have the price advantage over there, though.
    The fabulous Naiant Mics, perfect for acoustic instruments!

If you don't have DavidK's CD, you are a loser.

My tunes. Thanks!
    NB
    DA BEARS!

Thanks
    I'm seriously looking at a PRS Swamp Ash Special. I like the tone possibilities. they run about US$1800, but seem to be hard to come by.

Thanks
    You might be able to get a used McCarty for that in the States. I donno about overseas. I've played this one and it's a sweet guitar. I almost bought it, but I bought a new Custom 24 instead.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by apl
    Carvin has the CT series which is designed to compete with the PRS. I don't know if it will have the price advantage over there, though.
    I second this suggestion, assuming the pricing works out for you overseas.

A

Thanks
    Before you get caught up in the "PRS hoopla", I strongly urge you to read up and get educated as to how much these guitars have waned in quality and cut corners for profit in the past 10 years.

Here's a great source....

http://www.anycities.com/andyhifi/musicians.htm

That being said, I think a great guitar for the money (which is readily available in the UK) is the Yamaha AES620. Gorgeous looks, excellent build-quality, great pickups, and an all-around great guitar. From what I've seen, every one of them is set up perfect right from the factory. All you gotta do is buy it and play it. Think of all the extra money you'll have to spend on another guitar or more gear, too!

This is one sweet guitar.....

http://www.abcsounds.co.uk/yamaha-el...ric-guitar.htm

Go here and enlarge the pic, you'll be quite impressed!...

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...%253D,00.html#
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jellyside down.

A cat glued to some jelly toast will hover in quantum indecision.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck62
    Before you get caught up in the "PRS hoopla", I strongly urge you to read up and get educated as to how much these guitars have waned in quality and cut corners for profit in the past 10 years.
    Before you buy into the PRS haters, I strongly urge you to go out and play some.

PRSs vary in quality from guitar to guitar, but that is true for any brand. I played many, many guitars before I bought my PRS. I played Gibsons, Fenders, G&Ls, and PRSs with every possible configuration. I played $2200 Les Pauls with serious binding and neck problems. I played $3000 PRS Artists that were dead and lifeless. I played American Fenders that were no better than my MIM tele. I played them all through my amp with my cable.

I also played a PRS Custom 24 that sounded and played better than any guitar I'd ever picked up. That's the one I bought. The top is far from perfect, but the sound and mojo were there.

The McCarty I linked to was also a fine guitar, but the non-adjustable bridge turned me off of it.

On the whole, the PRS guitars were all fine instruments - they seemed to be more consistent than the Gibsons and Fenders - but most of them, in my opinion, were not fine enough for the price.

Be wary of anyone who categorically endorses or dismisses any guitar maker. Also be wary of Ed Roman and people who quote him. People will take a kernel of truth and warp and distort it to serve their ends.

If you think you want a PRS, go out and play some. See if you find one that suits you. PRS still has the ability to build excellent instruments and sometimes they do.

Thanks
    Ok, I'm convinced that APL is a Carvin dealer or something! He plugs them all the time!
    famous beagle

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Cheney
    I second this suggestion, assuming the pricing works out for you overseas.

A
    I agree. The new PRS's are grossly overpriced. I think Carvin could meet the price range if overseas shipping doesn't blow it.

Thanks
    Well, I am a Fender/Gibson addict. I never liked the way the PRS played. Then they came out with the 20th anniversary model. I reall liked that one and bought it. It's a custom 24 (20th aniv.) with the wide/thin neck. It plays a lot like my SG supreme and sounds a little hotter then my Les paul. Overall, it's a great axe, but I still don't like the way the rest of the PRS line plays.

Thread Information