Pardon My Ignorance...

andrushkiwt

...but since I don't consider myself a bass player, by default, most things regarding the instrument are new to me. But, I must say, replacing my old strings with Dean Markley's Blue Steel brought a whole new sound to the game. Wow, these strings sound great. Such a round, fat sound in the lows. Sounds great through the Ampeg sim. Can't wait to record with it. It feels terrible against your fingers, to me. I don't care for the feel of the strings, something slightly off-putting about them, but doesn't matter, they just sound too good.

I remember trying those on electric guitar waaay back when I first started playing in the early 90s. Hated the way they felt, too, and it seemed as if the unwound strings got that "tear the tips of your fingers to shreds" kinda rusty far quicker than normal strings. Have always been partial to D'Addario strings though, maybe there's a slight bias in my memory...

I remember trying those on electric guitar waaay back when I first started playing in the early 90s. Hated the way they felt, too, and it seemed as if the unwound strings got that "tear the tips of your fingers to shreds" kinda rusty far quicker than normal strings.

ha, yeah. exactly. But they sound soooo good. :)

I just bought some DM 'Signature Series' bass strings, haven't put them on yet. Hope they play alright, I've got 2 live shows to do playing bass next month.

If they're like the Blue Steel, then they're not very comfortable. But it'll sound awesome! I guess I'm willing to make that sacrifice for my tunes, if anyone notices the difference. Yeah they've got that rusty feeling, like "geez, I could use some finger-eaze here." I don't think I've used that since I was 11, but that's the first thing that popped into mind. Not a nice feel.

I have Blue Steels sitting on my desk for my Stiletto as soon as I'm sure I'm not doing any more do-overs for my tracks, on they go! Glad to hear they are worth trying! :D

---------- Update ----------

I've run D-Addario half rounds since the 80s. Always liked the sound, but for some reason, these just jumped off the shelf at GC...we shall see.

I have Blue Steels sitting on my desk for my Stiletto as soon as I'm sure I'm not doing any more do-overs for my tracks, on they go! Glad to hear they are worth trying! :D

---------- Update ----------

I've run D-Addario half rounds since the 80s. Always liked the sound, but for some reason, these just jumped off the shelf at GC...we shall see.

update: hmmm, there are some notes that get buried in the mix. Really, anything on the D string is rather quiet, and the A booms like mad. I really had to get into the DAW EQ to help the bass sit nice in the mixes that I retracked with the new bass strings.

Anyone know any strings that are useful for consistent level? I have this Stagg that I run through Amplitube's Ampeg SVT Pro with matching cab. Low and HI boost activated, on the amp head. 200hz knob down a few db's:

Products » Stagg

...but since I don't consider myself a bass player, by default, most things regarding the instrument are new to me. But, I must say, replacing my old strings with Dean Markley's Blue Steel brought a whole new sound to the game. Wow, these strings sound great. Such a round, fat sound in the lows. Sounds great through the Ampeg sim. Can't wait to record with it. It feels terrible against your fingers, to me. I don't care for the feel of the strings, something slightly off-putting about them, but doesn't matter, they just sound too good.

Do what this guys does:

If everything on the D string is consistently low, and everything on the A is consistently high, can you adjust the poles on the pickup(s)? Pull the covers and see if there are screws you can raise and lower.

Most bass polepieces aren't individually adjustable (except for Gibby/Epi humbuckers and the like). If it's annoying enough, some guys mix and match string gauges to kind of make up for it.

I played bright flats for a while, but I thought they went dull too fast. I know I'm old school. I still play super slinkys and either GHS Boomers or Rotosound roundwounds.

You can attenuate individual poles with tiny pieces of thin metal shim. Non-ferrous will work a bit, steel more so.

Dave.

Back