Other new guitar weekend.

I was going to put this in DIY but maybe it'd get more action here.

I picked up a '72 yamaha acoustic a few weeks ago.
It had a strange light patch on the top - was hard to make out if someone had tried to strip the lacquer or had stuck a film down on top of it.

Either way the price wasn't too bad and I was prepared to try stripping it back and sealing it again.
Not looking for perfection or a fancy finish - Just to take the bad look off it and protect it.

Neck and fretboard were straight as could be but the action was a few mm higher than I would have liked.
Still playable but I chose to drop the saddle a bit.

It didn't look like there was clearance to do that...maybe someone had been there before me, so I took the bridge surface back a few mm to allow clearance, then brought the saddle down.
It's perfect now! :)

I'm sure proper guitar guys are probably cringing and wincing everywhere, but I got it looking and playing nice enough for me!

Twenty-something pics here - Safe link...Private server.

I've recorded a few tracks with it so far and I'm REALLY liking it.
Here's a quick and nasty strum comparing it to my old (modern) yamaha.

The clip flicks between the two guitars - modern one first.

Attachments

• Stereo.mp3
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Now, it's just sounding like you are changing your strumming : ) haha

The down the neck PIC looks great

My new guitar "weekend" was three weeks ago when my '91 Patrick Eggle Berlin arrived from the UK. I'd sold a '94 Berlin a few years ago and finally found a suitable replacement. This one is a keeper. :thumbs up:

Attachments

• 91 Eggle Berlin.JPG
    91 Eggle Berlin.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 6
Steen - how do you sand the top without mucking up the rosette or binding? It looks like someone might have spilled something or marked up the top where that light patch was, then tried to remove it with stripper.

My new guitar "weekend" was three weeks ago when my '91 Patrick Eggle Berlin arrived from the UK. I'd sold a '94 Berlin a few years ago and finally found a suitable replacement. This one is a keeper. :thumbs up:

That's a real purdy guitar!

It looks like someone might have spilled something or marked up the top where that light patch was, then tried to remove it with stripper.

Yeah, it did look like that although, seeing it in person, it was more like someone had stripped the top back to bare wood, stuck down plastic (in the shape of that light patch), then lacquered over the top.

I was able to peel the plastic away and it took the lacquer and all, leaving bone dry bare wood. Very strange, to say the least.

Steen - how do you sand the top without mucking up the rosette or binding?
I was worried about that. I worked around it very carefully at first but in the end I realised I was able to sand away at it without any danger of lifting or damaging it.
I didn't expect that but I'm not complaining. ;)

Got my old yamaha APX (mentioned in the OP) sold today.
I've had it for at least 8 years so I'll miss it, but I've really gelled with this FG-180 over the last few weeks.
I've had plenty of time to play both on and off, and the 180 is the one that feels right now.

Anyway, a string broke on the APX when de-tensioning for transit. I notified the seller and offered to include a replacement set at my cost.
He may have to wait a day longer as I had to order the replacements, but he agreed to it all.

I even made the set 12 string, despite the guitar having been listed with only 6 fitted.

Regardless, he says his feedback will be a reflection of what happened, as that's "only fair".

Just a headsup - Might be a good idea to say "Don't consider the strings part of the sale" or something on future listings.

I don't know about you guys but if I bought a guitar and the seller threw in brand new strings because he broke an old (OLD!) one....I'd be leaving him A+++++.

Back