Opinion on a song's meter

3/4 or 6/8?

• 3/4

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 6/8

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

famous beagle

Hey y'all, I wasn't sure where to put this, but since it's a guitar song, I figured here would be as good as any.

The song is Joe Satriani's "Always with Me, Always with You." I'm curious as to who would call this 3/4 and who would call it 6/8. I'm firmly in the 3/4 camp, but I'm curious to hear what others think.

Thanks!

That's back from when he had hair...so it's 6/8. :D

I think if you focus on the 6 count of the opening arpeggio licks...they imply 6/8, but you can count it 3/4 too.
From a listening perspective...does it really matter? :)

I think it is 9/12ths stepped down by 2/3rds, but I voted on 3/4er or 6/8ths half stepping which all = s 3/4ers anyway. Wait, it aint metric is it? :p

I think if you focus on the 6 count of the opening arpeggio licks...they imply 6/8

The hair is a factor, I agree. And you're right ... it doesn't matter from a listening perspective.

I'm curious how you arrive at this statement though. IMO, those guitar arpeggios seem to imply 3/4 instead of 6/8. Unless you hear it differently than I do, he seems to be accenting the same notes as the shaker in his arpeggios... so, like this:

1 and 2 and 3 and, 1 and 2 and 3 and, 1 and 2 and 3 and, etc.

6/8 would be accenting the 1st and 4th notes of the arpeggios, like this:

1 2 3 4 5 6, 1 2 3 4 5 6, 1 2 3 4 5 6,etc.

Do you hear him accenting like that? Because to me, it certainly sounds as though he's accenting along with the shaker.

Unless I'm not following you.

But where would the snare normally go in 3/4 meter?

2, or 3, or both. ;)

That's the slowest 6/8 I've ever heard! :)

Nothing Else Matters would be substantially slower 6/8.
There's very official looking sheet music for "Always with Me, Always with You." written as 3/4 and 6/8.
I guess even the publishers aren't sure.

There's no rule but I wouldn't want to write Kick-2-3-Snare-2-3. That's a bar of 6, to me.

Hey y'all, I wasn't sure where to put this, but since it's a guitar song, I figured here would be as good as any.

The song is Joe Satriani's "Always with Me, Always with You." I'm curious as to who would call this 3/4 and who would call it 6/8. I'm firmly in the 3/4 camp, but I'm curious to hear what others think.

Thanks!

Love this song - I'd heard a little bit of his playing before, but this was the song that turned me into a fan of his, when I heard a live-in-the-studio version he played on a radio station, and I don't think I breathed for the entire duration of the song.

I agree in practice it doesn't really matter, but the official transcription is in 3/4.

Back