open back or closed back on cab/combos

MatchBookNotes

Sorry if this has been posted, but i was looking at the avatar cabs site and they offer a choice between closed, and open back, what impact does this have on the almighty tone and over all sound?

closed have much better bass responce.... some co's are starting to make a convertable cab... i'ld check into that... BTW.... open/closed??? shit speakers will still sound like shit.... i'm kinda out on my own in suggesting ev's and jbl's for guitar cabs bbut i'm not big on speaker break-up.... may want to check into webers there... i've heard good things about them

A lot of combo tube amps rely on the open back design to allow heat to escape. As already said, closed cabs have stronger bass. Some classic amps (Fender Twin for example) rely on the open back design to produce some of the sound they are best known for. For heavily distorted guitar closed back cabs seem a little better, while for clean sounds an open back tends to work a little better.

In general, the closed back (and "tuned" vented) will be for instruments that require more bottom end - primarily bass and acoustic guitar for example.

In stereo speakers, your two primary designs are closed (sealed box) and vented. They do this to maximize the low end response - specific woofer types are required for each type. But in stereo speakers you are interested in duplicating sound, not creating it.

That being said, follow the advise of the other posters. If you're the one creating the sound, then it's your call. I find that bass and acoustic guitars do not sound very good with open back cabs. Electrics can sound good through just about anything... Even my parents RCA console stereo system back in '72. Just don't tell them I fried out the speaker in the left channel.

Well, actually the fuzz box did that. I just happened to be playing guitar through it at the time :rolleyes:

Back