Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Only the D String Is Off

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    So I went out and bought a couple single D strings. I cut off the original one and put the new one on. And that worked. My intonation is fine now. Wondering what on earth happened I looked more closely at the old one and new one. I noticed the old one looked darker than the new one.

This set that I put on was a custom gauge I made for myself. Musician's Friend has a section of their strings page where you can buy bulk packs of individual strings. They were all Rouge brand. I usually like "Light top, Heavy Bottom" sets, but I often find the top is not light enough and the bottom is a little too heavy. So I mage my own gauge of 9,11,15,28,38,48. I just went back to my order history. I accidentally ordered stainless steel for the D strings, and nickel for the rest... Not sure how I missed that!

But I didn't think material would affect intonation, only timbre.
    Last edited by HRmusic90; 06-04-2017 at 11:54. Reason: Clarification

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HRmusic90 View Post
    So I went out and bought a couple single D strings. I cut off the original one and put the new one on. And that worked. My intonation is fine now. Wondering what on earth happened I looked more closely at the old one and new one. I noticed the old one looked darker than the new one.

This set that I put on was a custom gauge I made for myself. Musician's Friend has a section of their strings page where you can buy bulk packs of individual strings. They were all Rouge brand. I usually like "Light top, Heavy Bottom" sets, but I often find the top is not light enough and the bottom is a little too heavy. So I mage my own gauge of 9,11,15,28,38,48. I just went back to my order history. I accidentally ordered stainless steel for the D strings, and nickel for the rest... Not sure how I missed that!

But I didn't think material would affect intonation, only timbre.
    Nice. It sounded like a bad string so glad that worked.

My guess is a wound D has more mass and thus would stretch more than an unwound D. Was the unwound very tight to put on or tuning sharp above the 12th fret? Those might be signs it just wasn't stretching enough. If the tuning was all over the place it was probably an issue with it slipping in the tuning peg. The unwound would be more prone to that, I'd imagine, since it has less friction. I didn't even think they made unwound D strings for guitar...I know they make wound G but never heard of unwound D. Are you sure it's a guitar string and not for a different instrument?

Anyway, those are just my thoughts off the top of my head. I'm not expert in this stuff; just started teaching myself some basic setup/luthery stuff last year. To get a definitive answer you should probably ask on a luthier forum.

Thanks
    Do a complete setup if you have not already done. If you went to heavier strings you will probably need to adjust your neck relief at very least. Might as well check the action and nut slots too. Intonation comes last. You can get the specs off Gibson's site. I can't imagine why a guitar that would intonate before won't do now. I have heard of people reversing the saddles as a last resort.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    Nice. It sounded like a bad string so glad that worked.

My guess is a wound D has more mass and thus would stretch more than an unwound D. Was the unwound very tight to put on or tuning sharp above the 12th fret? Those might be signs it just wasn't stretching enough. If the tuning was all over the place it was probably an issue with it slipping in the tuning peg. The unwound would be more prone to that, I'd imagine, since it has less friction. I didn't even think they made unwound D strings for guitar...I know they make wound G but never heard of unwound D. Are you sure it's a guitar string and not for a different instrument?

Anyway, those are just my thoughts off the top of my head. I'm not expert in this stuff; just started teaching myself some basic setup/luthery stuff last year. To get a definitive answer you should probably ask on a luthier forum.
    Oh it wasn't wound versus unwound. It seems to be stainless steel versus nickel. The original pack I bought was a pack of 12 wound, stainless steel D strings.

Thanks
    All else pretty much the same, a radical change for the worse on the intonation is a bad string 9 times out of ten.

Changing string guage would make them all a wee bit off, but not much.

However, going to a heavier guage often invloves a few things to be right.

1)Truss rod adjust. Heavier strings put more tension on the neck and you might have to tighten it.

2) Redo intonation. Not much but slightly

3) Widening the nut slots. This is not always needed, but some nuts can grip the string too tightly when going up higher in guage. Depending on how the slot is cut it can also make the new string sit higher in the slot.

These are not absolutes, but common things that may need to be addressed .

Thread Information