one man's junk is...

jimistone

long standing member
So, I went to the local music store today. It's a little small store with a really nice guy running it. 5 years ago his repairman died of cancer and there is stuff all over the place that he was either working on or it was going to cost more to fix than the customer wanted to fork out.
I asked him if he would sell any of it "as is". He said he would love to get rid of all that stuff. I looked around and saw a Marshall valvestate 2000series amp...the chassis out of the cab and laying on the floor. I said, "What about the valvestate, would you take 30 bucks for it?" He said "yeah" but would need to at least try to find the customers number who left it. He also said that after 5 years he doubts they were ever planning on returning for it.

Where one man sees a piece of crap broken valvestate amp, I see a nice tolex covered Marshall speaker cab....that it would cost me $100 to build myself...loaded with a celestial speaker that would probably go for at least $75. Not to mention a 12ax7 tube that would cost me $13.

I'll give $30 for that all day long!
He has tons of stuff in the junk pile with good speakers.

I hear those sound heavenly. :)

Yes, they sound much better than your typical celestion speaker.
lol
This predictive text is killing me...
Forum members think I play a fender strategy through an amp loaded with celestial speakers.
haha

Nice score, but the stock Celestial [sic] isn't great in that cab, though it was matched very well sonically with that amp. It's 4 Ohm as well, which limits its usability in combinations.

Nice score, but the stock Celestial [sic] isn't great in that cab, though it was matched very well sonically with that amp. It's 4 Ohm as well, which limits its usability in combinations.
I haven't got it yet Bubba. He is going to try and contact the owner.
Even without a speaker , the cab and the 12ax7 tube is worth 30 bucks.
Well, to me it is.

I keep seeing this thread title, and I'm telling you now, I don't wanna think about another man's junk. :mad:

Back