Old Thread - Bass/Guitar/Amp/Cab

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Bass/Guitar Amp/Cab help

1978 I was using an Ampeg SVT Bass Amp & Cab with 8x12s and it had no speaker problems - but these are built for bass from the git go. Around 1989, I downsized to a Gallien Kruger 800RB head w/direct out (no cabinet) so I wouldn't have to lug that monstrous SVT cab all over town. Then I downsized again to a Roland GP-16 (guitar processor) for my bass which made life a whole lot easier - like carrying a laptop compared to my previous gear.

Last edited:
While I was at the store picking up a cable, I had to wait for a salesperson to check me out. So.. I began a long loop around the store examining all the floor amps. The used Marshall JCM-900 I was eyeing is now gone. With all the talk in these parts for the high American Fender guitar prices, I took notice of all the new combo Amps and many of those are like $800-$1500 on the low end. The very low ends are in the $49 to $99 range. Many of the guitars on the wall (not Fender, not Gibson) were showing $1499 prices.

See now, this is where Sears should jump back into the guitar market.. :D

yeah its interesting the costs. maybe its all inflation? but if a old workers checks dont keep up its like $1200 today will look like $100 in 15yrs"

I have been a bit shocked lately of the prices skyrocketing or seem to have. My last brand new US Strat was $750 on year end clearance...now they post $1400? $1600? .....wow? My first US Strat was $400 around 79-80.
year 2020 is about 40yrs.....but in the flooded used market around Dallas Tx, theres always a great mint , with case candy can be had for $700.
I dont know who would pay $1400? someone with a lot of money and wants a brand new- first owner brain buzz I guess?

Sears....
for me the market is totally saturated and the manufacturing can simply out produce demand.
in the first stratocaster years it was like a struggle for 3000 guitars a year, I read...so now they probably do that in a day. or week.
so with all the global factorys turning out Fender guitars and the 500 lines to choose from...and add in there has been nearing 40 years of used guitars also!!! ....it seems crazy and whacked.... theres pages and pages of Fender guitars used.

but what do I know? maybe everyone will own 12 Fenders? the brainwashing will be its a $1400 guitar and the hype might lead people to believe it and then pay for it....but isnt there a point where the koolaid doesnt work? I mnean if I pay my kid to mow my yard, I might increase over years but Im not paying him $500 to mow my yard.

still its all strange to me because I can buy a American Strats, top line mint for $700 and sometimes $650 and anytime $800.
so thats not bad for 40yrs inflation is it? Something just seems phony about the $1400...like they are trying to fake some accounting or something? for the IRS?

IRS: sir you show you have $400,000 un-accounted for in unsold assetts...
Guitar Center Fender Dealer: yeah yeah....right you see that one guitar in the corner? thats a severe damaged relic model and its selling for $400,000.

IRS: sir you show you have $400,000 un-accounted for in unsold assetts...
Guitar Center Fender Dealer: yeah yeah....right you see that one guitar in the corner? thats a severe damaged relic model and its selling for $400,000.

:laughings:

I do see a lot of used U.S.A. Strats in the $800 range. I played a [new] Classic Series 50's Strat and would be very happy to have that for the same price. Now if I was a famous musician... I'd be paying out $3000 no problem - put it on my tab, guitartender ;)

Back