Not touched my bass in 5 years

vandexa1

Hi guys,

I have not posted on here in a very very long time. My life has changed, my home has grown and I hope I have matured. What has not changed sadly is the circumstances I last posted.

I left my band months before leaving to go to university due to conflicts between members who decided to enter into a relationship and also me leaving the area.I tried for the next year to keep playing, keep learning. Sadly over that next year I sold my Mesa Boogie Big Block 750. Then went the Aguilar GS212. The rack tuner and all my hand-built cables followed.

What I have left is a 10 year old Stingray I keep at my Mums. Now I haven't seen this bass let alone played it in over 5 years. I don't know why. I still love music. I am still tuned to hear the bass in any music I listen to. I still sit up into the small hours watching bass demos, YouTube videos etc.

But my desire to build a gig-worthy rig is gone, I don't ever see myself having a multiple cabinet set up with a £2000 amp sitting atop ever again.

I need some advice. I don't want to sell my Stingray. Its all I have left that reminds me of the passion I used to have for playing live and practising. Should I keep it and potentially never play it again? Look at it as an investment? Or should I try and get back into it?

I don't want the drama of a band, it has crossed my mind to buy a combo amp and play with headphones a couple of times a week, but I might just be forcing myself to do something I simply don't have the desire to do.

Thanks!

I have not posted on here in a very very long time.

Mmmm...seeing how this is your first post, yeah, it's probably been a VERY long time. :D

I need some advice. I don't want to sell my Stingray. Its all I have left that reminds me of the passion I used to have for playing live and practising. Should I keep it and potentially never play it again? Look at it as an investment? Or should I try and get back into it?

I don't want the drama of a band, it has crossed my mind to buy a combo amp and play with headphones a couple of times a week, but I might just be forcing myself to do something I simply don't have the desire to do.

All those questions...only YOU can answer....and it sound like you did right there at the end.

Sounds like you've totally fallen out of love with it. Saying that, I did too for a couple of years, then I sorted my swede out, started playing more, started posting here to learn about recording, started re-doing a few old songs that I knocking about... then wrote a bunch of new songs.

I might start playing live again next year, might not. My main focus with music is song writing and recording for my own satisfaction, no one else... and I think that's great. Maybe you could try something similar.

a guy says, on his FIRST post...
"I haven't posted here in a long time"

LMAO!
Shit, that's funny.

Why you asking strangers a question or questions that only you know the answer to?

Realistically, we don't know and most likely don't care.
Your life, your activities, your interests and desires.

You figure it out.
:D

I've still got my original B100 Yamaha bass head I bought new in '73. Haven't played through it in 8 years, but I still have it. Gone are the stacks of 18" W Horns with 4x10 cabs on top, the Crown power amps and Furman Crossover, but hey! I've sold more basses than I currently have, but I've still got the amp! We all have our things we cling to...

I just went through this with a Les Paul I hadn't touched in over 20 years. I sold it at a swap meet and started over with an acoustic.

Back