No no no...take the root of the penatonic 5, subtract a sus, and add a harmonic 3rd

LocusLarsen

I know this is gonna sound stupid and probably get me kick off the BBS, but I have been playing guitar for 10 years and I don't know my scales, or keys. I know basic Major, minor, and 7....along with a few sus chords, some I don't know the names of, and the penatonic scale......but for the most part I just play what feels right. I can solo over anything that people play, I just don't understand the "logic" behind what I am doing.

wew.....

No that I have justified my question.......

How do I know what key to buy a harmonica in?

LOL! I am the very same way..

I think the easiest one would be the key of C but I have one in the key of E cause of the bluesy stuff.

Back in high school when I played a dance and they wanted us to put our amps in front of us. I couldn't hear myself. It was pretty embarrassing (that's why none of the chicks were into me....yeah that's it) so I learned my scales.

For major keys I think you get a harmonica that's a fifth higher than the key you're playing in. I forget. For minor keys just don't play harmonica. They sound bad enough as it is in major.

Cool...I will check out getting a C. I just bought the E to mess around with since I play a lot of bluesy based stuff. (I guess I know a slight smount of theroy....)

Me too.... I can play lead to pretty much anything, I can read simple tabs but I dont know all the technical shit....

:)

You should look up some harmonica-sites. There's alot of tutorials out there. The thing is, when playing blues, most harmonica-players will play in 4th position (or something), which means, to play a blues in D, they'd use a harmonica in G. I think.

Something like that, now I'm not a harmonicaplayer, so don't take my word on it. They do play in some other position, but the relation in between the keys might be wrong.

Roel said:
You should look up some harmonica-sites. There's alot of tutorials out there. The thing is, when playing blues, most harmonica-players will play in 4th position (or something), which means, to play a blues in D, they'd use a harmonica in G. I think.

Something like that, now I'm not a harmonicaplayer, so don't take my word on it. They do play in some other position, but the relation in between the keys might be wrong.
I agree with this poster. :) It's because when playing in the 4th position (on a C harmonica) you get G and F. (i7 basically). It sounds "bluesy" when you bend around on it too...

I attempted harmonica once. I can play Piano Man and that Beatles song. ;)

Lopp said:
Who's this Roo-el character anyways?

Oh my. That must be that smart guy them's all talking about! It's back! Well, just hoppin' in really...

Back