The New Tone Thread

lol ... everyone chill!

First .... it was never stickied .... it was just always at the top because it was very active.
Secondly ..... it mostly consisted of a group of friends, most of whom aren't here much nowadays .... that thing started some years ago for heavens sake.
Yeah .... it was an epic thread .... yeah, it's a shame more people didn't jump into it ...... I'm also sorry that Hendrix is dead .... but he's dead as fuck and so is this thread.

I can see why anyone that wasn't a part of it would want to start fresh ... the learning comes with being there as people post tones and discuss them.
That's not the same thing as trudging thru 1300 pages .... and even more, the very best tones and advice were gregs and all his clips are gone so this thread isn't as valuable as it once was.

Start a new one ..... make it your own ... learn some stuff ...... teach some stuff .... have fun!

There's probably still some talent hiding around here .... a new tone thread would be a good way to bring it out.

Very nice tone, Chili. Clean with just a touch of fuzz. There's still a little bit of awkward breakup, but aren't all breakups awkward? Should sound great in a mix.

... Start a new one ..... make it your own ... learn some stuff ...... teach some stuff .... have fun!

There's probably still some talent hiding around here .... a new tone thread would be a good way to bring it out.

^^^ This. New generation of members doing different styles of music. Just do the same old thing in a new way.

I'm not understanding this reasoning...?
What's the number of pages and length of this thread have to do with anything?
I mean...why the assumption that people should/would need to read it from the start in order to move forward with new thread posts and tones....???
We have plenty of long stickies....and I don't see anyone bothered by that, and/or asking for new stickies on the same subjects in order to make a "fresh start" and/or because they are getting too long...etc.

No...it's exactly what ido said.
There is a desire by just a couple of people here to push aside and sweep away any history that involved a few individuals who are no longer here.
This "let's start a new tone thread" crap began the minute those people were gone....meanwhile, when they were still here, NO ONE ever said, "Hey, this is getting too long, let's start a new one".
And for fucks sake...why do people need to have this drawn out, hand-wringing process about starting new threads?
Just start the fucking thing and stop whining about the existence of the current thread(s).
-
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but the people who want a new tone thread...already tried it once or twice, and their tone thread died a quick death. That's also why they want to force the closure of this one...to see if it will force people to post in their new tone thread. What a bunch of wanking...:rolleyes:

Hey Miro,
I'm just going to interject...
I think the reason some are reluctant to take part in this thread is because of the baggage that goes with it. I remember the first time I posted something here, after gregs banning. I got a comment from 2 members on it and then one that said "oh look, 2 flies on a rotting dead carcuss" from Bubba Po. The he talked about how much he greg, and other long time tone thread regulars, put into the thread over the years...that it was now a shell of its former self. I totally get that and agreed with pretty much all of what he was saying.
That be said, there are others who don't get where he is coming from and feel intimidated by that. If they would read through the hundred million posts they would have a better understanding... but who is gonna do that?

Jimmy tried to post a tone or 2 to keep this going. I pm'd a few people and tried to get them to take part. They weren't interested in this one...because of the baggage
Plus, people have been attacked in this thread and even though they may have brought that on themselves,, they are reluctant to dive right in again.

Last edited:
So what are you saying...?...that this thread needs to be closed before a new one can be started...or that some people here need some sort of permission to start a new one?

The thing is...I see a couple of people here who really, REALLY *need* to see this thread closed. That's their real goal.
Otherwise, they could have simply ignored this thread and started a new one a million times already...but instead, they come here and talk about closing this one and then starting a new one.
It's all about their fragile egos and the need to be the only game in town.

Oh...and I wouldn't have posted this, but you did directly quote me, which kinda asks for a response. I mean, I'm not looking to keep this particular discussion going...as there's not much more to be gleaned from it....but I didn't want to leave you hanging without one, either. ;)

I will also add this...
Greg was a big draw to the tone thread. He posted tons of tones, and told people exactly how he got them. He was also very good at diagnosing the tones of other posters and help I them improve their results. His input was highly valued here.

Also, most of the regular tone thread posters go where he goes. So, it's never gonna be the way it was here.

I said all that to say this...
It's very unfortunate that it was decided he warranted a perm.ban

Miro, you're here to stir the shit as usual. Not enough drama to keep you busy on the other site? That incident that jimistone refers to came to my mind as well, but Ido's screed above did not merit a reply from me. I second what jimi said. We were criticized when we attempted briefly to keep this thread going, and criticized again for letting it die. By the same cast of characters. You dropped by to stir the shit then too, of course. That seems to be what your own fragile ego drives you to do. For the record, I made my recent comment on this thread because somebody specifically asked me by PM to comment on a tone he posted here. I did not want it to seem that I was ignoring his post, but needed to explain why I will not be posting on this particular thread. If you've got tones to post here, go right ahead.

So what are you saying...?...that this thread needs to be closed before a new one can be started...or that some people here need some sort of permission to start a new one?

The thing is...I see a couple of people here who really, REALLY *need* to see this thread closed. That's their real goal.
Otherwise, they could have simply ignored this thread and started a new one a million times already...but instead, they come here and talk about closing this one and then starting a new one.
It's all about their fragile egos and the need to be the only game in town.

Oh...and I wouldn't have posted this, but you did directly quote me, which kinda asks for a response. I mean, I'm not looking to keep this particular discussion going...as there's not much more to be gleaned from it....but I didn't want to leave you hanging without one, either. ;)

No, I don't think this one needs to be closed at all...there is great stuff in this thread. I have tried to invite others to take part and get it going again . I was just trying to give my opinion on why I think it's hard to get people o
posting in this thread.

And I'm saying that those people who find it hard to post here...should just start a new thread and post there.
It's that simple. :)

I also think this one should remain open...and if it falls down the page and is forgotten, so be it.
The fact that it IS so huge, means that when people run keyword searches on the net for guitar tone stuff...they migh hit on some posts in this thread, regardless how old the posts are...and at least then they could post in this thread and maybe get some responses.
If it's closed...then it's a dead thread.

We haves some pretty mindless threads from 10 years ago that are still open (as we all know too well when people resurrect them)...so just leave this one be. Let it naturally stay or fall off the page.
Same thing with any new tone thread. If it falls off the page or stays, really has nothing to do with this thread. ;)

I totally agree, man. Nobody ever suggested locking this thread, that I noticed. This kind of back-and-forth bickering is more likely to get it locked than anything. So how about we declare a truce?

I totally agree, man. Nobody ever suggested locking this thread, that I noticed. This kind of back-and-forth bickering is more likely to get it locked than anything. So how about we declare a truce?

I surely never suggested closing the thread. Only reason to ever close a thread is if a member takes the thread so off topic and turns it into a shit storm. Then it isn't worth keeping. Hint hint...

Truce is the best idea I have heard yet. :)

Man, I don't understand the problem. If you don't want to deal with this thread any more, unsubscribe it...

If all you want to do is point out how futile the thread is, or how great it used to be, go stand in line with the cave dwellers.

Let's move on.

Tonality - the range from pure visible light to the absence of any visible light at all. This is debated, however, as some see black as the absorption of all light and therefor not the lack of it. This combined with the school of thought that white being the reflection of light means that there is no light at the surface means that the search for true tone is ongoing and hotly contested.

Well it's a shame so many of the TONES that have been posted here are no longer available for a listen. Kinda moots the thread, until a new wave comes along.

Not even sure why I'm posting this, figured what the heck. A few weeks ago, I was playing Limelight with the tones from my GNX3000 board that I use when the band plays it live, and was sitting in front of my ProTools rig, so I recorded it for the fun of it. Didn't take long and was a nice break from all the more serious stuff I'm working on. Threw the bass and solo down as well. Actually forgot I even did it, was going through my folder, seen it, and was like 'oh yea that's right'...

Dropbox - LimelightTonesDemo1.wav

It belongs to a group of posters who left the forum.

Not sure why you say that...lots of people posted in this thread who are still active members here.
I mean...you say you want to "revive" the thread you started...but you don't want anyone to revive this one...huh? :D

Kinda of an odd perspective... *shrug*

Back