The New Tone Thread

Ive tried adding quiet layers of pads and guitar hum under it to blanket the guitars a bit, but it didn't sound right.

Hm. It sounds like a bit of frequency build up during the intro, so maybe strip it down to one guitar and hard pan a pad to the other side. Or try the 1970s era Van Halen trick. Use just one guitar and do this:

1. Create reverb channel.
2. Set the decay to 2 seconds and predelay to 120ms and time it to the track.
3. Pan the clean guitar R and the send pan track hard L.

I came across that recently and it seemed cool for power trio type stuff. The intro you can do with that then kick it out during the chorus maybe. Just an idea. I haven't tried it yet so it might suck, but it's an idea worth a try for a situation like this.

Hey guys, I'll give them a listen. To be honest, I'd prefer we make a clean break with the past and start a new thread with different premises. I'd like to post some tones, but this isn't a thread that I'm going to use. 1343 pages--that alone is reason enough to start afresh.

The 'New Tone Thread' posts can always be referenced to.

I would agree with Robus, it likely best to start a new thread to get new fresh input.

It does seem like it time for a new one...

I also have a bunch of projects going on now that I would love to share guitar tones and how they are created. Something about the taste of this incredibly long thread makes me not so eager...

Hey Taras, to me, hands down the Orange sounds the best for the intro. It has a smooth consistent quality to it whereas the other two have high end distorted artifacts(don't know how else to describe it). However, once the other two kick into the chorus they sound pretty good, leaning towards the Soldano on that. No reason you can't use multiple amps on a song....must be nice to have more than one! I didn't see a "Crate" amp in your list?? hahaha

Last edited:
Hey Taras, to me, hands down the Orange sounds the best for the intro. It has a smooth consistent quality to it whereas the other two have high end distorted artifacts(don't know how else to describe it). However, once the other two kick into the chorus they sound pretty good, leaning towards the Soldano on that. No reason you can use multiple amps on a song....must be nice to have more than one! I did see a "Crate" amp in your list?? hahaha

Hey cool, I also thought the chorus sounded decent with all of them. Its really that intro that needs the attention since it's so bare. And yeah I agree about the high end artifacts, particularly on the soldano. I can EQ those out pretty well though.

This really helped. Thanks guys. I just needed extra ears.

And no..no crate. :) these are amps within amplitube, by the way.

And no..no crate. :) these are amps within amplitube, by the way.

ahhhhh...make sense now....I was thinking you were pretty dedicated to retrack the whole song three times using three different amps! ha! I am only allowed one "real" amp with my current budget...but in a year or so I may be able to invest in a couple more.....or more guitars.....or more.....well whatever strikes my fancy. lol

Hey guys, I'll give them a listen. To be honest, I'd prefer we make a clean break with the past and start a new thread with different premises. I'd like to post some tones, but this isn't a thread that I'm going to use. 1343 pages--that alone is reason enough to start afresh.
Well Robus, it looks like you're hell bent on destroying one of the best threads this forum has ever had. You've once again demonstrated your lack of community spirit, along with a desire to manipulate this board into your very own playground. It's appalling, but not surprising, given what I've seen you pull off since you joined this forum. Somebody needs to call you out on this as it's been swept under the carpet for too long, and time for the ostriches to get their heads out of the sand. You can feign ignorance all your want and try and defend yourself, which I expect you will, but I'm personally not impressed with you or your attitude.

And Jimmy - your response to support a new thread is equally disappointing, compounded by the fact that you are a mod.

Well Robus, it looks like you're hell bent on destroying one of the best threads this forum has ever had. You've once again demonstrated your lack of community spirit, along with a desire to manipulate this board into your very own playground. It's appalling, but not surprising, given what I've seen you pull off since you joined this forum. Somebody needs to call you out on this as it's been swept under the carpet for too long, and time for the ostriches to get their heads out of the sand. You can feign ignorance all your want and try and defend yourself, which I expect you will, but I'm personally not impressed with you or your attitude.

And Jimmy - your response to support a new thread is equally disappointing, compounded by the fact that you are a mod.

I am myself am in no way trying to destroy the thread. I think it is awesome actually. Just really long. Not likely anyone would read through all of it. That was all I was stating.

Carry on. :thumbs up:

I am myself am in no way trying to destroy the thread. I think it is awesome actually. Just really long. Not likely anyone would read through all of it. That was all I was stating.

I'm not understanding this reasoning...?
What's the number of pages and length of this thread have to do with anything?
I mean...why the assumption that people should/would need to read it from the start in order to move forward with new thread posts and tones....???
We have plenty of long stickies....and I don't see anyone bothered by that, and/or asking for new stickies on the same subjects in order to make a "fresh start" and/or because they are getting too long...etc.

No...it's exactly what ido said.
There is a desire by just a couple of people here to push aside and sweep away any history that involved a few individuals who are no longer here.
This "let's start a new tone thread" crap began the minute those people were gone....meanwhile, when they were still here, NO ONE ever said, "Hey, this is getting too long, let's start a new one".
And for fucks sake...why do people need to have this drawn out, hand-wringing process about starting new threads?
Just start the fucking thing and stop whining about the existence of the current thread(s).
-
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but the people who want a new tone thread...already tried it once or twice, and their tone thread died a quick death. That's also why they want to force the closure of this one...to see if it will force people to post in their new tone thread. What a bunch of wanking...:rolleyes:

Whatever Mr. Grumpy. Nobody wanting to 'force' anything. Just a thought man...I'll avoid posting mine just for you.

Again, carry on. :)

Geez, this is about the 5th tone thread over the years, who cares if there is another one, or not? We have a gazillion mic threads, we can have a gazillion tone threads.
Just start the fucking thing and stop whining about the existence of the current thread(s).

This^^^^

...it's...a....thread...calm...down....bud....

Good Lord.
Maybe you should direct that negativity in the direction of the person who started the issue. The same person who started the whining about the thread in the first place:

Go ahead and start posting in a new thread, I'm anxious to see whether there's going to be as many meaningful, insightful responses that the current thread has. :facepalm:

Go ahead and start posting in a new thread, I'm anxious to see whether there's going to be as many meaningful, insightful responses that the current thread has. :facepalm:

You have some attachment to a thread, like it has some deep meaning to you. That's cool there's good info here, but there's also a lot of sh!t to sort through. Too much, I agree. It used to be stickied at the top so everyone could see it, did it not? I propose it be again and then just make a new damn one already so people don't have to click through a thousand pages. It can sit at the top and be there for whomever wants to read it. This one is long and filled with nonsense like the last few posts. You can't have a discussion in here without someone complaining or wishing for the old days. Give it up already. New one. Move on. Let's go. I want to post my stuff and get better sounds, enough longing and being forlorn. It's the internet, NBD.

Geez, this is about the 5th tone thread over the years, who cares if there is another one, or not? We have a gazillion mic threads, we can have a gazillion tone threads.

Maybe we step it up from a gentle plea to a kind suggestion. Drop the back n forth about the threads. Post your tones here, post your tones in a new thread, or post your tones over at TRR. All are perfectly good places to post tones.

In fact here a snippet of something I'm working on.
View attachment GuitarTone.mp3

That's cool there's good info here, but there's also a lot of sh!t to sort through.

So...do you think your posted tones would sound better and/or get better/more attention in some other Tone thread...more so than in this one? :D

And I again ask...why this misconception that you have to sift through thousands of pages before you can post or move to the last/current page of this thread...?
You guys are using that as some argument for a new thread...but it's a poor reason.

Why do some of you have to first TALK about the need to close this thread (or whatever)...and then you have to TALK about the need to start a new tone thread...over and over....why all that...?
When you do that...you guys are the ones stirring up the "old days" discussions ...and that's happened multiple times already here in the last few months.

You do realize that all you need to do is click on the "Post New Thread" button...type in "Our Own Tone Thread" or whatever you guys need to call it in order to make it your own...and then post your tones or whatever. :thumbs up:

Just go ahead already and start your new tone thread. :)

You have some attachment to a thread, like it has some deep meaning to you. That's cool there's good info here, but there's also a lot of sh!t to sort through. Too much, I agree. It used to be stickied at the top so everyone could see it, did it not? I propose it be again and then just make a new damn one already so people don't have to click through a thousand pages. It can sit at the top and be there for whomever wants to read it. This one is long and filled with nonsense like the last few posts. You can't have a discussion in here without someone complaining or wishing for the old days. Give it up already. New one. Move on. Let's go. I want to post my stuff and get better sounds, enough longing and being forlorn. It's the internet, NBD.

Yada yada yada, stop whining and start a new thread. The new thread button is not broken. Robus keeps whining but never seems to press the button either. Oh never mind I see Armistice has already built you one. Funny, it already has nonsense in it. That's a shame, there shouldn't be any nonsense on the internet, this is serious business these tones...

Back