The New Tone Thread

Rough mix here of a project I am working on. Not sure what I am sharing is useful...

Mesa Triple Rectifier used on all rhythm guitars. Don't have to do much to make it sit. More about getting the drummer happy here lol.

It is what it is...

I have many varieties of music styles and players in my studio. I will share more.
That's a great rock and roll rhythm guitar sound. Really heavy with great definition. Mesa amps rule on this type of guitar sound. It really sounds good when the guitar on the left comes in and they're both playing together. Not too fizzy....just right IMO.
Sits in the bass, guitar, and drums mix well...although the bass guitar almost overwhelms the mix. I've heard a lot of heavy rock that has a very loud bass guitar so that is really a matter of personal preference.

Hey, I'm late to the party. Can we get it up and going again? Here's my contribution:

What is it?

Tele-clone, bridge P/U, tone 100%, vol maybe 70%

-> Alesis NanoCompressor (1/2U rack-mount), used not so much for compression but for about 18dB boost (maybe clipping 1db off the tops of the peaks, very fast)

-> Vox ADVT30 amp using the "Black 2x12" sim, treble/mid/bass all about halfway up their respective ranges, but bass bumped down a bit, mid bumped *up* a bit, and treble bumped up a bit more than the mid; gain was about 70% (nice and gritty all by itself, but not too much), vol 100%, and I used the built-in soak to drop the volume to loud bedroom levels

-> mic'd with an AKG P170 (small-diaphragm condenser) about a foot in front of the grille, pointed straight at the center of the (10") speaker

The amp is good for practice, but in the 3-4 years I've had it, I've gotten a tone I really liked exactly two other times. Two! And then tonight this; I'd never thought to use the make-up gain knob on the compressor just to drive the signal harder into the pre-amp. The amp is not great sounding overall, I think due to it's age and generation of modeling (pretty early), and also to the 10" speaker. But tonight the sound was really "on".

Let me know if I'm just imagining it sounds good, or if I just got lucky, or if it seems like I could make getting decent tones out of it a repeatable process.
Sorry I didn't comment on this earlier. The tone is kind of dark is fizzy on the top end to my ears. Not really bad but I think you could play with tweaking the bass and mid back a little and bumping the high end a little and get it sounding really good. that fizzy top end is something that comes with modeling amps it seems I have a fender mustang that has that too. you can tweak it back but it's something you have to continuously battle when trying to get rock crunch tone.

Okay, this may be out of place, but since this is a Guitar Tone thread, here goes.
Left:View attachment Acoustic Left.mp3
Right: View attachment Acoustic Right.mp3
Solo: View attachment Acoustic Lead Pick.mp3
Combined: View attachment Acoustic Bus.mp3
In The Mix: View attachment Master Section.mp3

Using my Yamaha FG335 recorded at 9"-12" (yeah I move a bit when I play) with the MXL 2001 pointed at the 12th fret and turned about 10-15º toward the sound hole. There's some sloughing or frequencies below 300Hz (medium Q dip at 180Hz/-8dB and a high pas set at 80Hz) that leaves a hump from 80 to 110 where some of the nice stuff is.
Any ideas on getting this to sit better together. Thinking about doing a 450Hz and 600Hz comb (one up the other down in opposite directions) to bring each guitar out.

Okay, this may be out of place, but since this is a Guitar Tone thread, here goes.
Left:View attachment 99104
Right: View attachment 99105
Solo: View attachment 99103
Combined: View attachment 99102
In The Mix: View attachment 99106

Using my Yamaha FG335 recorded at 9"-12" (yeah I move a bit when I play) with the MXL 2001 pointed at the 12th fret and turned about 10-15º toward the sound hole. There's some sloughing or frequencies below 300Hz (medium Q dip at 180Hz/-8dB and a high pas set at 80Hz) that leaves a hump from 80 to 110 where some of the nice stuff is.
Any ideas on getting this to sit better together. Thinking about doing a 450Hz and 600Hz comb (one up the other down in opposite directions) to bring each guitar out.
Hey Broken, I thought I already commented on your clips earlier but I guess I forget to hi "'post quick reply"...anyway...
It seems like there is more low end on the left guitar in the first clip and the right guitar in the next clip than there is on the Acoustic Bus clip. I don't know if you eq'd but they sound less boomy in the bus clip. The final mix clip sounds OK. I think you could trim back on the bottom end and it would help separate the guitar and the bass guitar better.
But it dosent sound bad as is.

This is a vintage 1966 strat going straight into a peavey bravo tube amp.

Neck pickup, volume wide open and tone wide open

The amp has a clean channel, and gain channel, and a high gain channel.
This is the high gain channel. The pre gaine is at 5. The post gain is 3, the bass is at 5 the mids are at 6, and the highs are at 4, reverb is around 3,

I recorded this for a song by Broken H that is up in the clinic now

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4dbrh6jy2uiiwd/broken H lead snippit-01.wav?dl=0

Please excuse the undesireable note I keep hitting

Hey Broken, I thought I already commented on your clips earlier but I guess I forget to hi "'post quick reply"...anyway...
It seems like there is more low end on the left guitar in the first clip and the right guitar in the next clip than there is on the Acoustic Bus clip. I don't know if you eq'd but they sound less boomy in the bus clip. The final mix clip sounds OK. I think you could trim back on the bottom end and it would help separate the guitar and the bass guitar better.
But it dosent sound bad as is.

Yeah, sorry. Might have mentioned that the hi-pass is on the bus and not on each guitar....

Tone sounds really good. But, what is causinalsieg that crackling noise? Or do I have an issue here?
I think the crackling noise is a combination of 60 cycle hum from a single coil equipped guitar being into a high pre gained amp channel...and the amps cooling fan. It doesn't really have that with a less Paul humbucker equipped guitar. Also, it's mostly on the 3rd high gain channel that it's this audible
Also, I bought that amp used and it's probably a mid 1980s tube amp. It may need retubing

Last edited:
Rough mix here of a project I am working on. Not sure what I am sharing is useful...

Mesa Triple Rectifier used on all rhythm guitars. Don't have to do much to make it sit. More about getting the drummer happy here lol.

It is what it is...

I have many varieties of music styles and players in my studio. I will share more.

That just confirms why I don't like Mesas, I guess. To each their own.

Curious - is that the drummer drumming to the guitars, or the guitarists guitaring to the drums? I presume it's just a jam/out-take given the (relative) "dragging" in the drums.

That just confirms why I don't like Mesas, I guess. To each their own.

Curious - is that the drummer drumming to the guitars, or the guitarists guitaring to the drums? I presume it's just a jam/out-take given the (relative) "dragging" in the drums.

Whichever it is, there's no excuse for playing out of time.

I'll try to keep it going, I suppose.

My interfaces (Audiobox and 2i2) have always clipped with my guitar at anything more than 3/10 on the guitar knob, even with the interface at 1/10 input gain. Since it's a known issue, and addressed by their support staff on their forums, I've always compensated by turning the guitar volume knob way down. Only recently have I realized I'm compromising tone by doing so. Clearly, I'm no gear-head.

So, today I purchased a Moore DI Box with a -20db pad. What a difference. I can set the guitar to 10/10 and the interface input to 4/10 and I'm good to go, no more clipping. The sound difference is drastic. More energy, more fullness, clearer, and just much better sounding overall. I have a 2001 Gibson Studio Gothic. Maybe post some before and after clips soon.

Alright, now that I was able to record the guitars with my Gibson at near full volume, I wanted to test out some different amp heads. I did have to switch the cabs on some tracks in some versions, just because some do not sound good with particular amps. The heavy guitars use 4x12's and the two leads use 2x12's.

I picked the 3 amps I use consistently for heavy and leads. I only switched the heavy, rhythm guitars (same ones in the opening) here, since they are providing the majority of the tone in the song. The lead guitar amps/cabs are the same in each version below. I also threw in the track without any guitars, just in case you wanted to hear it. There is a guitar bus EQ which has some cuts in the 140hz area and 2500khz area. The guitar bus is HP'd at 100hz and LP'd at 7500khz. That way, all the guitars have the same treatment.

1. No guitars:

2. Orange Rockerverb amps:

3. Soldano amps:

4. Mesa Boogie Dual Rec amps:

I'd be very interested in hearing what people like and what sounds good to you. There are things I like about each tone, but I'm wondering about the general consensus here.
Thanks everyone.

The Orange sounds the best of those for this song. The Mesa a close 2. The Soldano 3.
They all sound pretty good when the full chorus kicks in, so I'm basing this on the intro section.

... so I'm basing this on the intro section.

Exactly. I agree. The intro is bare bones guitar so all the faults are exposed. Ive tried adding quiet layers of pads and guitar hum under it to blanket the guitars a bit, but it didn't sound right. So yeah agree that the best fit will be whatever sounds good on its own. I was between the MB and ornate orange myself.

I can do EQ tweaking still.

Back