The New Tone Thread

The problem with all of that is the double standard. Rap is celebrated for being racist, homophobic, and sexist. But when a cheesy white guy does it, it's the end of the world.

Actually, I think a lot of rap is fucking terrible for similar reasons too. But there you go.

Rap is terrible, but no one cares how disgusting it is.
I don't really know how its perceived generally. It might be different in the UK to the US too. I agree with you that its generally pretty disgusting though. But then that could be more to do with US rap and hip hop though, I think the UK stuff tend to be a fair bit less materialistic and misogynistic.

I don't really know how its perceived generally. It might be different in the UK to the US too. I agree with you that its generally pretty disgusting though. But then that could be more to do with US rap and hip hop though, I think the UK stuff tend to be a fair bit less materialistic and misogynistic.

I have no idea what UK rap would even sound like.

Tea and biscuits
Croquet through the wickets
Bloody hell fag burned a hole through my knickers
When push comes to shove
For the queen I got love
I slap a bitch with my white glove

The problem with all of that is the double standard. Rap is celebrated for being racist, homophobic, and sexist. But when a cheesy white guy does it, it's the end of the world.

This, x1,000,000 is what's wrong with the whole world IMO...

When "One In A Million" came out, it was controversial because of the "N" word, the words faggot & racist...But to me, that word doesn't apply just to people of color, there are white "N"'s too, actually they're in every race, creed, color, whatever...If you don't believe me, come visit my part of the world...:facepalm:

I remember when G-N-R first came out, I was a senior in high school, late summer/early fall '87...I saw 'em live before anyone around here knew who they were (I live at the ass of the whole world, things come/go in other places before we even hear about 'em)...I can't remember who they opened for, but by the time I graduated the following spring/summer, they'd became "the" rock band...

I have no idea what UK rap would even sound like.

Tea and biscuits
Croquet through the wickets
Bloody hell fag burned a hole through my knickers
When push comes to shove
For the queen I got love
I slap a bitch with my white glove

If you ever get tired doing Punk Rock...you have a future with Rap. :D

If John Lennon would have lived longer he probably would have written some English rap with wordplay along the lines of "I am the walrus" or Lucy in the sky with diamonds" He had a gift for putting together really cool sounding jiberish.

If John Lennon would have lived longer he probably would have written some English rap with wordplay along the lines of "I am the walrus" or Lucy in the sky with diamonds" He had a gift for putting together really cool sounding jiberish.
Yeah ..... I have a copy of his book "In His Own Write" that was widely praised for that very thing back in the day.

I don't like rap - on a conceptual basis as well as what I've heard. Most of what I don't like is the crassness, mys/rac/etc bling obsessiveness and just plain awfulness of it. I also dislike calling things rhymes when they can only be labelled that by expanding & degrading the meaning of rhyme.
In terms of GNR I do recall reports of the lead slinger being all those unpleasant things including racist - it may have been an appropriation of the N word. If the band doesn't gainsay the singer then they have to wear the same hat backwards. In the end I didn't/don't like them and whilst Slash's guitar tones are often good there's nothing revelatory about them.
Australia rap runs the gamut from simply appalling to attempts to be worthy but it all misses the point for me - but I'm not the target audience so it of no concern to them or me.

Here's the riff and tone I was working on last weekend - finsihed writing the music and re-tracked the whole thing this today after re-stringing my washburn and sticking it on the left. The Washburn is a much thicker tone than the pointy Ibanez.

View attachment MR Test 2.mp3

Man I think you hacked my computer because I wrote a riff about 5 years ago that sounds awfully close to that.

That's as far as I got with it. I never did anything with it because it sounds way too 80s metal to me.

Man I think you hacked my computer because I wrote a riff about 5 years ago that sounds awfully close to that.

That's as far as I got with it. I never did anything with it because it sounds way too 80s metal to me.

Yeah, I was disappointed with you p0rn collection so I decided to rob one of your songs!

Sounds like the same chord sequence exactly!

Here's the riff and tone I was working on last weekend - finsihed writing the music and re-tracked the whole thing this today after re-stringing my washburn and sticking it on the left. The Washburn is a much thicker tone than the pointy Ibanez.

View attachment 98180
sounds nice ..... also I like the tunage.

Good tonage and tunage ..... what more could you want?

An-n-n-n-d you're not having to change the brake switch on a Kia Sedona so your life is better than mine.

Back