The New Tone Thread

This is just my opinion, and it's not directed at anyone, but to me a big part of the problem with drum programmers, besides knowing nothing about drums, is that quantized and sampled drums have been the "norm" for so long, people don't know any other way, so the ridiculousness continues. Take some 20 yr old just getting started. His main frame of reference is probably gonna be modern shit that's been faked all along. To him, that is the norm. He doesn't know that real drums don't sound like a typewriter. Nor does he care, because he's probably gonna make music that reflects the sterilized, quantized crap he's been listening to all along. And the cycle of suck continues. The art and skill of recording actual sounds with actual microphones keeps getting pushed to the wayside because any idiot can fire up a sim and sample pack and pollute the cosmos with his home "recordings". And what's worse is the appreciation of actual instruments making actual sounds, and the art and skill it takes to record them, keeps getting marginalized. Not only do people embrace and celebrate the mindless ease of sims and drum programs, they laugh in the face of traditional recording because they don't have to actually know or do anything anymore. That bugs me. Technology is great, but it's also really fucked things up.
yes BUT: That just lets us sound that much better in comparison!

:)

Post something over there. You had some interesting ideas on that drum programming thread you linked in one of your posts above. It always does depend on the song/mix, but there's a whole subculture on this thread dedicated to proving otherwise... ;)
I don't think anyone needs to prove overwise is been proved - Recording real drums is better. We call'em fake drums for a reason... They're fake.

Ok, here's a couple clips, re-amped some of my di's on this, nothing special just trying to get a feel of where I need to go with this one...

Signal chain:

LP > interface > re-amp box > DSL100 > G12H > e609

DSL100:

50w setting

OD 2

Mid-shift: ON

Resonance: 0
Presence: 4
Bass: 7
Mid: 10
Treble: 4.5
Volume: 4
Gain: 4

WP Cover

WP Cover 2

I think the DSL can do these kinda tones pretty good myself, I'm actually impressed with this, lemme know what you guys think...

Sounds real good to me minerdude. Surprising considering that usually horrid DSL mid shift is engaged. I see you compensated though by jacking the mids on the amp. I don't really know the song to compare, but on it's own what you have sounds good to me. I'm thinking I need to get me some of those H30s.

Miner, that sounds great. Almost bang on where its supposed to be, but I wouldn't change it. I slightly prefer your tone. Its supposed to be dark and your tone keeps this, while also retaining a little more clarity that the original.

Sounds real good to me minerdude. Surprising considering that usually horrid DSL mid shift is engaged. I see you compensated though by jacking the mids on the amp. I don't really know the song to compare, but on it's own what you have sounds good to me. I'm thinking I need to get me some of those H30s.

Thanks Greg, you know I read something somewhere a few days ago about a guy doing this with the mid-shift on a DSL15 combo. This guy was trying to ape the Slush tone, & honestly, to me, it sounded pretty damn close. I read that he had the mid-shift in, but had jacked the mids all the way up. He mentioned something about it changing the mid's frequency, which it does seem to do, so, I gave it a shot, & it seems to work. Now, dunno why/how/whatever, & really don't care, but I've found another tone in my DSL by just trying something really simple...

I think it does lower the mid's frequency, making it more of a true mid-range sound, because with it out/off, the mid knob on this amp seem to jack up the highs/treble (my DSL-1 did this too if you remember)...So again, I've found another little tone variation in this amp that seems the tonestack works more like older amps...

On the G12H, I think you'd like 'em man, they're kinda like a V30, but they don't have that mid-hump. Maybe they do, & it's just a different frequency, I honestly don't know, but I do know I'm liking this speaker more & more dude...I had kind of a dark mic placement compared to what I usually have, but I did that because the 609 can be pretty sizzly...Again, I think you'd like these speakers Greg...

JDOD: Thanks man, I was actually surprised considering the amp I used, but just goes to show if you twist some knobs, you can make things work I suppose...

Miner, dark is good when you're doing Sabbath (provided it doesn't turn to incoherent mush). Try the riff for Iron Man - That would sound great!

Miner, dark is good when you're doing Sabbath (provided it doesn't turn to incoherent mush). Try the riff for Iron Man - That would sound great!

I did some reading on Iommi's tone, & tried to get as close as I could, with what I've got. I've got a couple more ideas for that kinda tone, but it really wouldn't be that much different than what it is now...

I actually need to finish that song up, I don't like a whole lot...maybe in the next couple/few days I can wind it up....

Ah, I probably just don't know what the fuck I am talking about with the description of dark! I was meaning a thick, heavy tone with a lot of bottom to it.

Ah, I probably just don't know what the fuck I am talking about with the description of dark! I was meaning a thick, heavy tone with a lot of bottom to it.

It's hard to describe sound with words. Some people use shit like "woody", and I'm like, WTF does that even mean? Sounds like wood? WTF does wood sound like?

It's hard to describe sound with words. Some people use shit like "woody", and I'm like, WTF does that even mean? Sounds like wood? WTF does wood sound like?

Exactly, there's really subjective terms to describe something which they don't really relate too.

Anyway, miner, its a "thick" heavy tone which retains its clarity and definition... and it sounds like Black Sabbath!

I've honestly never in my life willingly and intentionally listened to Black Sabbath. I don't know how this compares, but it sounds good on it's own merit.

---------- Update ----------

"Brown Sound". I mean, WHAT? :D

Lol. Right? I know what that means now after hearing ten trillion discussions about it over the years, but that's a dumb one for sure.

---------- Update ----------

I'm going for more of a spaghetti sound.

Lol. Right? I know what that means now after hearing ten trillion discussions about it over the years, but that's a dumb one for sure.

A really dumb one for sure ...... I think maybe the brown thing came from electrical 'brown-outs' where you don't lose all your lectricity .... Van Halen was known to use variaxes to lower the voltage to his amps ..... thus a brown-out shortened to brown sound.

Similarly to greg never listening to Sabbath .... I have never listened to any Van Halen.

I've heard whatever was popular enough to be played in clubs or on the radio but even then he was someone that i just turned off in my head.
To my knowledge I've never actually listened to any of his stuff.

Back