The New Tone Thread

They're awesome when drumming. I'll tell ya why - they cut out the hiss and harshness of cymbals and everything else. A snare cracking right in your face is much more tolerable. Drums are loud, and they're super loud when you're sitting right at them. They are the way I play anyway. I can still hear everything and everyone just fine, but it knocks the highs down so you can actually hear better....without the ear damage.

They're awesome when drumming. I'll tell ya why - they cut out the hiss and harshness of cymbals and everything else. A snare cracking right in your face is much more tolerable. Drums are loud, and they're super loud when you're sitting right at them. They are the way I play anyway. I can still hear everything and everyone just fine, but it knocks the highs down so you can actually hear better....without the ear damage.
I can see that ..... the most annoying part of standing by a drummer are the cymbals IMO.

Well, except that one drumber who couldn't understand that it was possible to not hit the snare as hard as he possibly could even on ballads!
:D

I can see that ..... the most annoying part of standing by a drummer are the cymbals IMO.

Well, except that one drumber who couldn't understand that it was possible to not hit the snare as hard as he possibly could even on ballads!
:D
I skillfully avoid that problem by never playing ballads! :D

I skillfully avoid that problem by never playing ballads! :D
that's a good plan I think.

This guy had the loudest snare I've ever heard and the stage was a small one and every snare hit was as loud as he could possibly play it ...... *POW* *POW* *POW*
OMG ... it was like having a .357 by your heard ..... just tore right thru my ears every hit.
it was fucking unbelievably LOUD!!

:D:D

that's a good plan I think.

This guy had the loudest snare I've ever heard and the stage was a small one and every snare hit was as loud as he could possibly play it ...... *POW* *POW* *POW*
OMG ... it was like having a .357 by your heard ..... just tore right thru my ears every hit.
it was fucking unbelievably LOUD!!

:D:D

I have one of those snares. A 14x5.5 Brass Black Panther. It's like a rifle crack and intensely loud. It's not my favorite sounding snare, but it's a good band practice snare because it easily blasts through guitars and bass. Even with earplugs, you feel that thing.

It's like a rifle crack and intensely loud. .
that was exactly what it sounded like ....... and with a wall right next to me I couldn't get away from it.
No matter how I turned my head it hurt.
I can handle loud just fine but this ..... this was something we should send ISIS. :laughings:

this was something we should send ISIS. :laughings:
Cool man, that's a fuckin' loud snare right there.....:laughings:.

I could never stand to wear earplugs at work, & I definitely never used 'em playing in bands, ever. But I could see using them for drumming, as that shit is loud as fuck...But I will say I used to love to get loud as fuck with a band. I was never afraid of the volume knob when practicing or playing a gig, to me, it was just how it was supposed to be....

I've got my little "portable" rig with me (laptop, interface, 'phones, guitar), so I'll post up some more shitty ampsim tones in a little while, but I'll be able to actually tell how shitty they are since I've got my Sennheiser 'phones with me this time...:).

Ok, here's a few tones from AT4, the only thing different in each one is I changed the speakers in the cab. All processing was done in AT4, but I didn't use any eq after the cab, & there's a little room 'verb from AT4's cab room....

Signal chain: Ibanez > interface > AT4

Jubilee sim > 4x12 (Greenbacks) > '57 & U87 mics
Jubilee > Greenback

Jubilee sim > 4x12 (G12H) > '57 & U87 mics
Jubilee > G12H

Jubilee sim > 4x12 (V30 "8") > '57 & U87 mics
Jubilee > V30 8ohm

Jubilee sim > 4x12 (Brit Silver) > '57 & U87 mics
Jubilee > G12_65

Jubilee sim > 4x12 (T12G) > '57 & U87 mics
Jubilee > older G12-T75

Jubilee sim > 4x12 (Brit 75) > '57 & U87 mics
Jubilee > newer G12-T75

On the speaker names, I'm just guessing on some of 'em because they're not really clear on some of 'em (like T12G, I'm assuming that's an old G12-T75, the Brit 75 is a newer G12-T75, Brit Silver is a G12-65, etc. Some of 'em are pretty obvious though like the different V30 versions...

Lemme know what you guys think of these. I literally took 5 mins to record & tweak these tones...

Ok, here's a few tones from AT4, the only thing different in each one is I changed the speakers in the cab. All processing was done in AT4, but I didn't use any eq after the cab, & there's a little room 'verb from AT4's cab room....

Signal chain: Ibanez > interface > AT4

Jubilee sim > 4x12 (Greenbacks) > '57 & U87 mics
Jubilee > Greenback

Jubilee sim > 4x12 (G12H) > '57 & U87 mics
Jubilee > G12H

Jubilee sim > 4x12 (V30 "8") > '57 & U87 mics
Jubilee > V30 8ohm

Jubilee sim > 4x12 (Brit Silver) > '57 & U87 mics
Jubilee > G12_65

Jubilee sim > 4x12 (T12G) > '57 & U87 mics
Jubilee > older G12-T75

Jubilee sim > 4x12 (Brit 75) > '57 & U87 mics
Jubilee > newer G12-T75

On the speaker names, I'm just guessing on some of 'em because they're not really clear on some of 'em (like T12G, I'm assuming that's an old G12-T75, the Brit 75 is a newer G12-T75, Brit Silver is a G12-65, etc. Some of 'em are pretty obvious though like the different V30 versions...

Lemme know what you guys think of these. I literally took 5 mins to record & tweak these tones...
I'm digging the first 2 and the very last one. The first 2 actually sound identical to me. After that, they get progressively darker until the second to last one, which has a 3.5k (about) buzz that I don't like.

1,2 and 6, baby. :)

EDIT: Listening again, 1 and 2 actually don't sound identical to me on second listen. 1 has a boost somewhere in the 4-5k region. I still like it, but my favorites now are 2 and 6.

Thanks Rami, this literally took about 5 mins to do, all I did was swap the speakers in AT4. I know I could make 'em all better with tweaking, but the point of these clips was the speaker comparison. If I move the mics around, it actually does have the speaker characteristics of the real thing, sorta.

Yeah, they can have the fizz I hate, but that can be dialed out with the mic and/or eq, so I'm happy with this sim for now. I've been complaining the cab sim is the weakest point in modeling/ampsims, so maybe they're on the right track. I can definitely hear an improvement with the new cabs over version 3's...

Thanks again dude...

Nice job Minerman! I've been wanting to hear some AT4 clips from a trustworthy source. I just don't trust clips/videos made by corporations. If you get bored I'd love to hear some clips of a JCM 800 and the Red Pig played through a checkerboard 4x12 with G12H and G12-65 speakers.

Nice job Minerman! I've been wanting to hear some AT4 clips from a trustworthy source. I just don't trust clips/videos made by corporations. If you get bored I'd love to hear some clips of a JCM 800 and the Red Pig played through a checkerboard 4x12 with G12H and G12-65 speakers.

Thanks man, I keep saying this, but I'm really impressed with AT4...Something I'm still learning is how to blend the close mics. I've found using 2 mics the tone can get muddy prett yeasy, so I did some clips with a single '57, about where the cap meets the cone...There are a lot of clips, but I used the 2 amps you suggested, along with the 2 speakers, plus I did a boosted clip of each one too (using the SD-1 in AT4 as a clean boost)...So, there are a shit-load of clips, but maybe it'll give you an idea of what this sim is capable of....

Here's a screenshot of the amps & mic placement for the '57:

Red Pig > Red Pig 4x12 G12H > '57

Boosted Red Pig > Red Pig 4x12 > '57

Red Pig > Red Pig 4x12 > G12-65 > '57

Boosted Red Pig > Red Pig 4x12 > G12-65 > '57

JCM800 > Red Pig 4x12 > G12H > '57

Boosted JCM800 > Red Pig 4x12 > G12H > '57

JCM800 > Red Pig 4x12 > G12-65 > '57

Boosted JCM800 > Red Pig 4x12 > G12-65 > '57

Lemme know what you guys think...

Miner, is all this free? I found it completely crap on the iPad but this looks much better. Would be great for getting ideas down late at night or in the morning.

Wow Minerman! Thanks for taking time to do those clips and screen shots. I always hated the older versions of Amplitube but AT4 sounds so much better. Sometimes I like to record a real 100 watt amp with a DI box and a dummy load and then run that into a speaker sim. Does AT4 let you shut off the amp and just use the speaker sim?

Miner, is all this free? I found it completely crap on the iPad but this looks much better. Would be great for getting ideas down late at night or in the morning.
No dude, AT4 isn't free, I bought AT4 Deluxe (which was $299...yeah, I know...), but you could buy the "regular" AT4, which is $149, but has a limited amount of gear. But, all the AT3 & Custom Shop stuff you own shows up there too, so I could've saved some $$$, but I hadn't bought anything music-wise in months, so I splurged...

Wow Minerman! Thanks for taking time to do those clips and screen shots. I always hated the older versions of Amplitube but AT4 sounds so much better.
No problem man, the new cabs are what make the biggest difference IMO, I've ran some of their older amps (from AT3) through the new cabs & it does sound much better...

Sometimes I like to record a real 100 watt amp with a DI box and a dummy load and then run that into a speaker sim. Does AT4 let you shut off the amp and just use the speaker sim?

Yeah, it works the same way as AT3, you can shut of any part of the chain, so it'd work...Tell me more about your DI box & dummy load dude...I'd like to know what you're doing there, as I still have my DSL, but using it with my 4x12 isn't an option right now...

Tell me more about your DI box & dummy load dude...I'd like to know what you're doing there, as I still have my DSL, but using it with my 4x12 isn't an option right now...

I have done it 2 ways:
The first way is with a 16 ohm 200 watt dummy load resistor wired to a 1/4 jack. I run the amps speaker out into the dummy load. Then from a parallel speaker out I run a Behringer Ultra-G DI box into the interface via xlr cable.
RES16-200 Resistor
Behringer Ultra-G GI100 | Sweetwater.com

The second way is by running the amp's speaker out into a Palmer pdi-03 rack unit. It has a built in load and speaker emulated and non-emulated outputs with volume controls which run into the interface via xlr or 1/4 cables.
PDI03L16 Palmer MI PDI 03 - Speaker Simulator with Loadbox 16 Ohms

OK, I re-did my guitars. I think I'm getting closer, but I have no perspective or general good judgement when it comes to my own stuff.

Let's see if this sounds a little better.

Hey Rami, sorry I'm getting to this so late.......I think those guitar tracks are way too gained up and sound mid scooped. They sound thin to me. Go back to the drawing board on those, buddy. They'd work for Rage Against The Machine, but not Rami Against The Machine. :D

minerman - those Jube clips don't work anymore.You still got em?

The Red Pig/800 clips all sound pretty good to me. Those might be the best sim clips I've ever heard. well done. :)

Hey Rami, sorry I'm getting to this so late.......I think those guitar tracks are way too gained up and sound mid scooped. They sound thin to me. Go back to the drawing board on those, buddy. They'd work for Rage Against The Machine, but not Rami Against The Machine. :D

Thanx Greg. Now that it's been a few days, I agree. I was trying different settings. You did listen to the second version, right?

Either way, I'm beginning to regret buying this Fender amp. should have done more research. I bought it because it was a tube amp, it's only after I bought it that I found out it was a "modelling amp", which has its' drawbacks. One of them is that, on the more distorted sounds, you can't really turn the gain down. You have to put your gain at 1 and then there's too little. Anywhere between 2 and 10 it's the exact same sound.

It only cost me $250, I think, so it's not the end of the world. But I'm now looking for another amp. Probably a small Marshall or something. I just want something that sounds good when I trurn up the gain. I can still use this Fender for clean sounds, it has a nice clean.

What's a good amp for home recording that won't peel paint off the walls but still sound good?

What's a good amp for home recording that won't peel paint off the walls but still sound good?

Haha, well, I'm the wrong guy to ask because I don't think any of the little amps sound particularly good. Some are okay, but the painful reality is volume = good. And to compound the problem, the few really good sounding small tube amps are expensive as hell. And on top of all that, most of the time their signal is pumped into a tiny single-speaker cab. None of that is a recipe for big rock and roll sound. I think you could get away with small powered heads if you used a bigger, multiple speaker cab.

Of course there will be lots of people that disagree. And that's fine. To each their own, blah blah blah. They have their ways and fool themselves. It's really quite simple to me though - especially for someone like you. You have the ability to be loud, obviously. You record live drums. Clearly you are able to make some noise. And I also know you often record direct and reamp when it's convenient to be loud. So you're a prime candidate for a nice big-rig that makes getting great tone pretty much foolproof.

But having said all that, check out the smaller Marshall DSL line up. That would be all the amp you would need. Good cleans, good crunch, lots of gain on tap. If you go with a combo, the speaker is the weak link. You might wanna upgrade the speaker. If you go head and cab, you have more and better speaker options.

Back