The New Tone Thread

Here's a new tone - quite a long way outta my normal style. Started fiddling and it reminded me a bit of Little Wing and a bit of Yellow Ledbetter. Not sure where I am going with it yet. Not sure whether I should totally remove the Leslie effect and go for a totally clean tone or whether I should maybe add a slight crunch that just works with the picking dynamics.... or just leave it as it is.

It's only a short one.
View attachment 95208

Only on earbuds. But it seems like it is missing a little bit of chunk and beef. I wouldn't really add much grit to it until you get it in a mix and see how it all sits in with the rest of the stuff. The effect on it sounds alright.

Only on earbuds. But it seems like it is missing a little bit of chunk and beef. I wouldn't really add much grit to it until you get it in a mix and see how it all sits in with the rest of the stuff. The effect on it sounds alright.
Hmmm, that's a tapped neck pickup. I wanted it to sound straty. Fail.

Hey guys, checking in again, doing a little better everyday, but I've still got a long way to go, but I will get there...

On the od pedals, I had 3 not long ago, & I'm down to 1. I had the JOYO Hot Plexi, Bogner Red, but got rid of 'em both. I actually gave the JOYO away, it wasn't terrible, but it just wasn't my cup of tea so to say....The Bogner was a good pedal, pretty versatile, but the bottom line is it didn't really do any tone I couldn't get with my amp, so I sold it..

The od I have left, & won't let go of is a Boss SD-1, it's great to push the green crunch on my DSL, it tightens it up & hits the front end a little harder (clean boost) for a little more crunch than the amp has on it's own (the green channel that is, the red channel has more gain than even I'd use..)...Like the Gerg mentioned, it's cheap, I bought mine new about 3 years ago for around $50. Mine's a newer model, supposedly the older versions are better, but for what I use mine for, it does fine. As cheap & plentiful as it is, I'd have to think long/hard before selling mine...

Ray: Cool song man, everything sounds good to me, I like all the guitar tones in this man. Good job!!!!

Shan: Cool man.....Both could be used in a mix, but I like tone "B" better. The high end seems more realistic to me, & it's obviously AT4, right??? That sim seems to be a little better at getting the high end more realistic than any sim I've used before. I like it a lot, & I'm still learning it, so it should get better with time. Something I do is load up a real amp tone, then A/B between the real thing & the sim, adjusting until I think it's close, doesn't work every time, but just sayin'...Cool man...

RAMI: I think all the guitars need a little high end myself, & Ocnor made a good point about the room sound. That's actually a big part of a lot of tones on "big" records, more than you think. Try playing around with a little reverb on 'em, but remember it only takes a hint to make a difference...Look forward to hearing this when you get it all worked out dude...

JDOD: While it doesn't sound terrible (it acutally sounds good), it doesn't have the strat quack to me anyway...Might just be me though, wait & see what the other guys say...I actually like the chord progression & little lead licks man...

No tones from me right now, I've been working on a couple songs though, just about got the drums programmed, so I should be able to track the keeper tracks in the next day or so...I'll post up some shit when I get around to it...Things are settling down a little for me, so I should be able to knock some tracks out pretty quick, as I've got all day/night to work on 'em...

Hey guys, checking in again, doing a little better everyday, but I've still got a long way to go, but I will get there...
You will get there man. Believe me, take it from someone who thought it was pretty much over. My life is better than it's ever been. I'm healthier and happier than I've ever been.

RAMI: I think all the guitars need a little high end myself, & Ocnor made a good point about the room sound. That's actually a big part of a lot of tones on "big" records, more than you think. Try playing around with a little reverb on 'em, but remember it only takes a hint to make a difference...Look forward to hearing this when you get it all worked out dude.....
Thanx man. I'm sure some reverb will help, but I want to get a good tone first. I just re-recorded the guitars and I'm pretty sure they sound a lot better. I'll put a new clip up later tonight, I just can't upload right now.

You will get there man. Believe me, take it from someone who thought it was pretty much over. My life is better than it's ever been. I'm healthier and happier than I've ever been.
Thanks dude, I'm trying to stay positive, it's just been pretty damn rough over here, as I'm sure you know yourself...It's just gonna take some time dude....Thanks again...

Thanx man. I'm sure some reverb will help, but I want to get a good tone first. I just re-recorded the guitars and I'm pretty sure they sound a lot better. I'll put a new clip up later tonight, I just can't upload right now.

Yeah man, you definitely need to dial your tones in first, but a little room 'verb can do wonders, especially in a mix...Keep us posted man...

Here's a new tone - quite a long way outta my normal style. Started fiddling and it reminded me a bit of Little Wing and a bit of Yellow Ledbetter. Not sure where I am going with it yet. Not sure whether I should totally remove the Leslie effect and go for a totally clean tone or whether I should maybe add a slight crunch that just works with the picking dynamics.... or just leave it as it is.

It's only a short one.
View attachment 95208

Personally, I love this. The tone seems to lack something, like maybe some slight speaker break up or something. It just sounds plain, for lack of a better word. But nothing about it sounds bad, or even not good. It sounds really good. But it can use some sparkle or break up.....or something.

We need Gureg (That's Guru and Greg together) :eek:

OK, I re-did my guitars. I think I'm getting closer, but I have no perspective or general good judgement when it comes to my own stuff.

Let's see if this sounds a little better.

Attachments

• Test Tickle 2.1.mp3
    8.3 MB · Views: 10
OK, I re-did my guitars. I think I'm getting closer, but I have no perspective or general good judgement when it comes to my own stuff.

They are definitely breathing a little better now Rami. Not as squahsed. I like 2.1 better.

that sound much better to my ears. More definition .... and more 'bite' ....

That does sound better, I think Greg was too busy arguing with jimi yesterday to stick his oar in.

I'll try maxing out the preamp on my clip.

That Super Overdrive I use can be found used dirt cheap. They're everywhere, and they're awesome. Hell, brand new they're only like 50 bucks U.S. American quids. And it's buffered, so it's good for long cable runs. Check one out.

Greg, doing a bit of eBaying at the moment and might get an SD1 (or a couple of other things). When you have the gain right down like that but the level right up do you get a huge leap in volume when you turn it on?

Greg, doing a bit of eBaying at the moment and might get an SD1 (or a couple of other things). When you have the gain right down like that but the level right up do you get a huge leap in volume when you turn it on?

Nope. It just pushes the amp harder. It tightens it up and compresses a little. It's not louder.

Sorry about missing yall's tones, I was indeed beating up on a certain redneck troll yesterday, then I had a gig that had me out pretty much all night. I'll catch up later. My ears are still ringing.

:thumbs up:

Earplugs?

We don' need no stinkin' earplugs.

I really don't when guitaring. My ears are ringing from all the other noise, not so much my own. Even standing in front of my glorious Marshalls, it aint so bad at gig levels, and I move around anyway. It's not like I have my ear up to the speakers non stop. And I don't even use floor monitors. Soundguys are fucking useless so I don't bother.

But when drumming, hell yes, earplugs.

Sorry, say that again?

I've actually never worn earplugs either.
I have ...... but I don't like 'em.
So I only wear them for really loud bands.
I mean REALLY loud.

Used o play with this one band in B.R. and Janel would have her monitors so loud when she'd sing certain notes it would make me get nauseous! :eek:

I wore them with that band!

:D

Back