The New Tone Thread

I got tones.

Poorly played but an experiment for me for now. My ears are playing tricks on me so i am just going to cut the umbilical on this and put it here. I downloaded Amplitube 4 because i really liked some if miners tones he got out of it. Maybe it was AT3? But regardless, i found that for a sim they had a very noticeable shape and feel my PodX3 tones didn't/don't have.

I did an A/B between the two sims and tonally i hear a huge difference. However, I'll say it again, i've been at this now for an hour or more and my ears are just hearing night and day differences. Meaning, they both could sound like ass and i really wouldn't know at this point.

What do you all think? I won't say what is what for now. they are both canned tones. Apologies for the really bad buzz and interference in the tracks.

Tone A

Tone B

I got tones.

Poorly played but an experiment for me for now. My ears are playing tricks on me so i am just going to cut the umbilical on this and put it here. I downloaded Amplitube 4 because i really liked some if miners tones he got out of it. Maybe it was AT3? But regardless, i found that for a sim they had a very noticeable shape and feel my PodX3 tones didn't/don't have.

I did an A/B between the two sims and tonally i hear a huge difference. However, I'll say it again, i've been at this now for an hour or more and my ears are just hearing night and day differences. Meaning, they both could sound like ass and i really wouldn't know at this point.

What do you all think? I won't say what is what for now. they are both canned tones. Apologies for the really bad buzz and interference in the tracks.

Tone A

Tone B

I think they both sound alright. There's a bit more buzz with the Line 6 though. Amplitude sounds better for the picky intro, probably cos it's got a little less gain you're playing looser. At first I thought Line 6 was better for the chords and that Amplitube was a bit flubby but with my ear buds stuffed in further I preferred it for the chords too.

I liked the riff and will be interested to hear where you take it. Make sure you repost it when you've added bass and drums.

I think the line 6 sounds more simmy but that could be cod I've used line 6 so much so I'm very familiar with the tones

I think the line 6 sounds more simmy but that could be cod I've used line 6 so much so I'm very familiar with the tones

Trick Question though which one is which ? I didn't really say which is which. :cool:

I wish i could i take credit for the riff man but it isn't mine. It's just one of those songs i wish i wrote. It is my goto "under 30 second lets test as much sounds i use as i can" riff. The guys at my local gear shop get sick of hearing it. But given my scope of what i know and what i can play it serves it purpose. Should anyone care this is it.

And on that note. After a few neat Canadian Ryes and hours of noise i am retreating to my bed. Goodnight tone tards. :guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::drunk:

When I downloaded them the file names were Line 6 and AT!

Shit. I have been foiled. I didn't think theyd be downloadable. A pox on the internet i say!

Next time i want to trick you guys i will leave the alcohol upstairs. In my defense though it is cold as shit up here right now -21C and the rye is making my feet quite toasty.

*edit: this is why way up north Canadians tend to be pisstanks sometimes

Suppose you don't see the sun for 3 months of the year. Isn't that why you're all kinky motherfuckers too?

I'm posting on phone and just clicked on them. Maybe it's an android browser thing. I'd probably have guessed the Line 6 tone anyway, it immediately sounded familiar to me.

Suppose you don't see the sun for 3 months of the year. Isn't that why you're all kinky motherfuckers too?

I'm posting on phone and just clicked on them. Maybe it's an android browser thing. I'd probably have guessed the Line 6 tone anyway, it immediately sounded familiar to me.

We won't have vitamin D producing sunlight for 130 more days or so. give or take. I goto work in the dark and go home in the dark. I get my sun at lunch time. It's a pretty good time. HaHa!

I'll give them a listen on my earbuds at work here later.

Hey guys,

Hope I can throw my hat in the ring here. I'm trying different settings on my amp. Still trying to get a good hard rock distortion. I did a few things differently on this.

My Fender SuperChamp X2 is a modelling amp, with a tube. I think I was guilty of using my eyes rather than my ears in the past. I stayed away from pre-sets called "Fender Super-Sonic" or "American Metal" just because I didn't like what I thought they would sound like. But the "American metal" pre-set is actually a Mesa Boogie model. Ever since I bought this amp, I pretty much only used pre-sets that had the word "Marshall" in them, thinking that's what I want. But most of those "Marshall" pre-sets actually lack balls and sustain.

So, I ignored what the name of the pre-sets are and just tried to get the best sound I can. Hoping this sounds better.

The 2 rythm guitars panned wide right and left are "Fender Super Sonic", EPi SG on the left and Gibson SG on the right.

The "third" guitar is a "Mesa Boogie Rectifier" with the Gibson SG.

Don't mind the drum machine. I always do my drums last, and I haven't done them yet.

Attachments

• Test Tickle 2.mp3
    8.3 MB · Views: 14
Hey guys,

Hope I can throw my hat in the ring here. I'm trying different settings on my amp. Still trying to get a good hard rock distortion. I did a few things differently on this.

My Fender SuperChamp X2 is a modelling amp, with a tube. I think I was guilty of using my eyes rather than my ears in the past. I stayed away from pre-sets called "Fender Super-Sonic" or "American Metal" just because I didn't like what I thought they would sound like. But the "American metal" pre-set is actually a Mesa Boogie model. Ever since I bought this amp, I pretty much only used pre-sets that had the word "Marshall" in them, thinking that's what I want. But most of those "Marshall" pre-sets actually lack balls and sustain.

So, I ignored what the name of the pre-sets are and just tried to get the best sound I can. Hoping this sounds better.

The 2 rythm guitars panned wide right and left are "Fender Super Sonic", EPi SG on the left and Gibson SG on the right.

The "third" guitar is a "Mesa Boogie Rectifier" with the Gibson SG.

Don't mind the drum machine. I always do my drums last, and I haven't done them yet.
I think G3 sounds good. Dunno what it is about G1 &2 they don't seem prominent enough, too much Gain maybe? Maybe they're blending too much with the bass or something but they don't seem to stand out, they're not "punching through". It's quite a cool Zeppelin type riff and it could do with that sort of swagger.

Greg will be able to tell better.

I think G3 sounds good. Dunno what it is about G1 &2 they don't seem prominent enough, too much Gain maybe? Maybe they're blending too much with the bass or something but they don't seem to stand out, they're not "punching through". It's quite a cool Zeppelin type riff and it could do with that sort of swagger.

Greg will be able to tell better.
Thanx J. I agree now that I've listened a few times. Gits 1 and 2 are dark. No bite. It's funny, I either get too much fizz or none at all, which isn't any good either. It's not mic placement or anything like that in this case. The sound itself seems to lack high end. I'm pretty sure we both hear the same thing. I'll let a few other ears confirm that. Thanx.

Problem with these modelling amps is, even though they have a tube in them, my gain knob almost has no effect. I have to turn the gain all the way down to 1 for it to make a difference. Anywhere from 2 up to 10, pretty much doesn't change the sound at all.

The two thythms are pretty mushy which sounds kinda 'dark' ..... I think it could be too much gain because that compresses the sound and keeps them from having a sharp attack.
As JDOD said Greg'll be able to tell you right off.
The 'lead' git sounds ok but it could still use a little more bite for my tastes.

neat riffs.

The two thythms are pretty mushy which sounds kinda 'dark' ..... I think it could be too much gain because that compresses the sound and keeps them from having a sharp attack.
As JDOD said Greg'll be able to tell you right off.
The 'lead' git sounds ok but it could still use a little more bite for my tastes.

neat riffs.
Thanx Lt. Yeah, I'm going to re-re-amp them. It might be too much gain, but like I said above, with these modellers, it's almost impossible to turn down the gain. I'm going to see what I can do about that.

The guitars sound flat because they need some air/space. Just a hint of delayed room reverb would work wonders.

The guitars sound flat because they need some air/space. Just a hint of delayed room reverb would work wonders.

Cool, never thought of that. I'll try it. But I also think the sounds themselves are a little "blanket over the amp" sounding. I think that what I sometimes hear as "fizz" is actually the high end a guitar needs, so I think I over did it on the getting rid of what I thought was fizz and left them sounding a little wooly.

Here's a new tone - quite a long way outta my normal style. Started fiddling and it reminded me a bit of Little Wing and a bit of Yellow Ledbetter. Not sure where I am going with it yet. Not sure whether I should totally remove the Leslie effect and go for a totally clean tone or whether I should maybe add a slight crunch that just works with the picking dynamics.... or just leave it as it is.

It's only a short one.
View attachment Little Yellow.mp3

Thanx Lt. Yeah, I'm going to re-re-amp them. It might be too much gain, but like I said above, with these modellers, it's almost impossible to turn down the gain. I'm going to see what I can do about that.

Hey Rami. I am at work on earbuds, not much help right at the moment, but i am hearing your rhythms as sort of 'squashed' ? IF you know what i mean. I guesss thats the same as mushy. I hear good note definition while you are chugging away. but it just seems like they are just sandwhiched.

I do like the lead tone though. For what it's doing in your song i'd leave it as is.

Back