The New Tone Thread

Sorry, but I find this hilarious too. I'm not knocking you liking it, or even you're reasoning. It's just that Les Paul designed the Custom to be visually consistent with tuxedos for the guys who had to wear them in bands in those days. Think of weddings and proms. So I'm just imagining you up there, swaying back and forth with your Custom and your tux, while the lights from the mirror ball drift slowly across your Marshall stacks.

That's fine. I look fucking sharp in a suit or a tux. I clean up real good. The bad part is someone has to die for me to do it.

I see what you mean about fretboard bindings. My Martin is unbound and its slower than Sarah's Custom which is bound. My martin has quite angular edges though. Saying that, my Ibanez is unbound and its the fastest guitar I own (for lead) while my Washburn is bound and its the slowest guitar I own for both lead and rhythm. The Washburn as a much thicker neck than the Ibanez though.

My checklist for buying a guitar.

How's it feel?
How's it sound?
Can you look after it yourself?
Does it look cool as fuck?

Buy it. Love it.

I will add however, i am not fan of maple fretboards. Just visually weak. Even more so if they are those shiny Fender Maple fretboards. ew.

My checklist for buying a guitar.

How's it feel?
How's it sound?
Can you look after it yourself?
Does it look cool as fuck?

Buy it. Love it.

I will add however, i am not fan of maple fretboards. Just visually weak. Even more so if they are those shiny Fender Maple fretboards. ew.
MY checklist.

Is it a guitar?

:laughings:

My checklist:
Is my level of playing worth the quality/cost of the machine?
Usually it's a NO so I just look and wonder.

We need to get back to some tones in here. I've been having computer nightmares for about two months now. Lol. I'm kind of back on track.

I just scored a burstbucker 1 & 2 set off of Reverb today for a great price. I'm going to replace the shit-hot 500T and 496R on my LP Classic. Once I learn how to solder and get these things installed, I'll post some tones thru the JCM800.

That'll be several days though. I'm tending to my mom in my home town after my dad had emergency surgery. Mom is in terrible health and can't care for herself, and my 86 year old dad has been her primary caregiver (for better or worse). Now he's incapacitated after a pretty major gut surgery, and I'm next up for tending to her. I think this is the week that we have to put them in a nursimg home. Sucks. So the new pickups have been the highlight of my weekend without question.

I just scored a burstbucker 1 & 2 set off of Reverb today for a great price. I'm going to replace the shit-hot 500T and 496R on my LP Classic. Once I learn how to solder and get these things installed, I'll post some tones thru the JCM800.

That'll be several days though. I'm tending to my mom in my home town after my dad had emergency surgery. Mom is in terrible health and can't care for herself, and my 86 year old dad has been her primary caregiver (for better or worse). Now he's incapacitated after a pretty major gut surgery, and I'm next up for tending to her. I think this is the week that we have to put them in a nursimg home. Sucks. So the new pickups have been the highlight of my weekend without question.

That sucks, sorry to hear it.

On the plus side, those pickups are going to murder the 500/496 set.

very sorry to hear this. My dad spent 5 years in a nursing home and I'm primary caregiver for my wife's 94 year old mom so i know how time consuming and draining it is.

But there is nothing more honorable than taking care of family so props to you for being a man and standing tall.
I hope things go much better than expected.

That sucks, sorry to hear it.

On the plus side, those pickups are going to murder the 500/496 set.

very sorry to hear this. My dad spent 5 years in a nursing home and I'm primary caregiver for my wife's 94 year old mom so i know how time consuming and draining it is.

But there is nothing more honorable than taking care of family so props to you for being a man and standing tall.
I hope things go much better than expected.

Thanks guys, it really does mean a lot to me. Tough to see this scrappy old fellow that's always taken what little he had and did the best he could end up confused and hallucinating on a hospital bed. The outlook isn't good so far, but we're hoping for the best.

Anyways, no more dragging down the tone thread. In another couple of days I'll be elbow deep in solder and trying my first pickup swap. Jeez, I need to get a real solder station. My crappy crusty soldering iron needs to be replaced. It's crusted over with remnants of previous uneducated attempts at soldering. But I'm a total Pro now that I've watched two YouTube videos, right?

Lol. Just fire it up and get it up to operating temp. Once it's smoldering hot, hit it with a mild wire brush. That'll clean all the old crust and gunk off of it. Then wipe it off real quick with a damp rag and re-tin the tip with some fresh solder. You might be surprised how good it works with a clean tip.

Well, Dad is doing exceptionally well for an old guy fresh out of surgery, and Mom is begrudgingly living in an assisted living apartment. Mission accomplished, for now!

I just got home and gave the new pickups a once-over. I'll be damned, I double-checked the stickers on the undersides and they say AL V, which would be AlNiCo V. That means that these are the (much less desireable) Burstbucker Pro 1 and 2, and not the regular lower-output Burstbucker 1 & 2 that use AlNiCo II magnets. Damn! I should've payed closer attention. They're still better than my current pickups, but not the ones that I wanted. I'm torn whether to just install them and see how I like them, or try again for actual BBs. Or I could get really ambitious and try a magnet swap. Magnets seem to be really cheap.

Maybe I could use the practice uninstalling and reinstalling them since I'm a newb. Maybe they'd sound OK in my Aria Pro, which has downright awful pickups in it. Or maybe I just sell them or return them and try again.

Happy canuck thanksgiving tone dummys. Just did my first turkey ever. My sister in law usually does thanksgiving and stuff. I think i passed the test. Everyone went for seconds. Even the light weight female eaters had two plates.

Go me.

Anyways. Studio day today. HOORAY!!

Oh yea as a P.S. If anyone is interested in some IR's files for those Holy Grail reverb pedals i have some. Shoot me a PM and i will hook you up with a link.

Last edited:
Tadpui, unless you're dying for the practice, I'd say return 'em and get what you know you want.

You know, I actually am kinda dying for the practice. I figure that I'll install them, give them a workout, and then decide if I wanna do the regular BB instead. I found a pair on eBay for a great price...kinda tempted to get them just in case.

If I do get the BB, I only have one other double humbucker guitar. That's my Aria Pro II. But it has a coil tap, and I can't see how the single wire from the BB Pros could possibly accomodate that without some serious modifications. But maybe I just install them in there anyways and forget the coil tap? The existing pickups in that Aria are possibly the worst pickups I've ever used. Thin, frail, low output...and that's on the double-coil setting! The single coil setting is downright pathetic!

Back