The New Tone Thread

@ Rami, give it some time. Its a new to you guitar. Your touch will adapt so you are playing it in tune.:-)
Thanx R. It's not the new guitar, though. I recorded this with the Epi (which is sort of new, but not brand new). I just bought a brand new Gibson SG, but haven't recorded with it yet.

I was having a similar problem, but only because I was pressing down on the string too hard. I had to make a conscious effort not to press down too hard. The problem went away.:guitar:

I was having a similar problem, but only because I was pressing down on the string too hard. I had to make a conscious effort not to press down too hard. The problem went away.:guitar:
It's actually nice to hear that. Only because It's exactly what I'm doing. I usually play bar chords and power chords. Playing those open chords, I'm sure I was pressing too hard and/or slightly moving at least one string sharp.

It's actually nice to hear that. Only because It's exactly what I'm doing. I usually play bar chords and power chords. Playing those open chords, I'm sure I was pressing too hard and/or slightly moving at least one string sharp.

That could be it! Pressing too hard will definitely make things go wongo. I'm a total ham-fisted hack, but I've adapted to a pretty light touch over the years kind of by accident. You gotta be smooth and accurate for some of the fast change punk rock nonsense I play. Seems counter-intuitive for dumb punk, but it works. Light touch, smooth movements, good sound. A side benefit of that has been that my fretting is lighter so my chords ring true and clean and the guitar stays in tune really well.

Never though of that, makes sense. Is it any different than playing with the dial on the RADIAL?

So, basically, play with the fader, right? I don't really have to automate. I'm just sitting there as it's being recorded. I can easily play with the fader.

You can use either/or man, it's really all the same, but myself, I like using automation for this. If the track fader is what you like, again, it's all the same dude, all it basically does is cut the amount of di signal hitting the amp, basically like rolling the volume back on the guitar (I'm not sure it's "exactly" what this does, but in my experience, it's close enough...)...

The reason I like using automation is you can control how much ( and exactly when) the signal increases/decreases a lot better & smoother if need be...

You just need to find what works for you dude, the end result is all that matters...IMHO, automation in Reaper is the shizzle...:thumbs up:.

I like the track quite a bit as I always do when it's a RAMI tune but those guitars at the beginning .... when the drums and all comes in it's like a comp. clamps down and the volume of the gits changes so much there's a discontinuity with the intro ..... I find it really distracting ..... is it an intentional thing?

I like the track quite a bit as I always do when it's a RAMI tune but those guitars at the beginning .... when the drums and all comes in it's like a comp. clamps down and the volume of the gits changes so much there's a discontinuity with the intro ..... I find it really distracting ..... is it an intentional thing?

Nah, I haven't even begun to mix this yet. I was just concerned with the guitar tone, which is why it's in this thread and not in the MP3 Clinic. Having said that, there's no compression, limiting, or anything else on the guitars, or on the master, so I'm not sure what you're hearing. But it doesn't matter. it's not anywhere near mixed yet.

Well, seeing as how this thread is about the 7th one down, I figured I'd bump it up where it belongs.

I tried a few different things that I don't usually do. Let me know how the guitars sound in general. One thing that concerns me is that I might have too much distortion on the rythm guitars, which are by themselves at the very beginning. A couple of the chords seem to maybe warble out too much.

Let me know if I'm on the right track with this:

I think that you could back off on the preamp gain (or, as I re-read the posts above, you could back off on the reamp signal going to the amp). The guitar on the left gets a weird thing in the intro, where instead of sounding like individual picked notes, it sounds like dissonant notes beating off of each other. Even though there aren't dissonant notes. I like the midrangey tone of the guitars though.

I still like this song a lot, I remember it from a while back. Love the lead guitar counterpoint line in the main riff.

I think that you could back off on the preamp gain (or, as I re-read the posts above, you could back off on the reamp signal going to the amp). The guitar on the left gets a weird thing in the intro, where instead of sounding like individual picked notes, it sounds like dissonant notes beating off of each other. Even though there aren't dissonant notes. I like the midrangey tone of the guitars though.

I still like this song a lot, I remember it from a while back. Love the lead guitar counterpoint line in the main riff.

Thanx man. I do remember you commenting on the lead riff/rythm guitar interaction at the time. I've totally started from scratch on this tune, erased everything from the old version.

As far as the rythm guitars, I've already re-tracked and re-re-amped and it sounds way better now. Those dissonant chords that we all hear on this version are now gone. It was a combination of playing those chords better, making sure the guitar is 100% in tune, and rolling back the distortion a bit. I wish I was able to re-track with my new Gibson SG, but it was in the shop until last night, so I still did everything with my EPi with the P-90's, which is still a decent sounding guitar.

Unfortunately, you can't change the MP3 when you embed it in a post like I did. Maybe I'll post the new version. But I got the advice I needed and I know it sounds way better now than what I posted. So, I'll probably just wait until I finish the tune and post it in the Clinic.

Thanx guys.

Here's a silly little unscientific comparison of low volume/high preamp gain compared to high volume/low preamp gain.

Hallmark 60 Custom - P-Rails bridge pickup - Humbucker mode
Marshall JMP 2204 - 50w master volume
Presence - 8
Bass - 5
Mid - 6
Treb - 3
Marshall 1960A 4x12 - G12-65 - Senn e609 on axis, on grill, halfway to edge.
No EQ or processing in DAW.

Low volume/high gain.
Master vol 2 - preamp 8

High volume/low gain.
Master vol 8 - preamp 2

Medium volume/medium gain
Master vol 5 - preamp 5

See what you think.

Frist one's more fizzy.

Second one's fuller but sounds more laid back.

Third is my least favorite. It's got both, fizzy and less drive.

Second one's my favorite.

2nd clip sounds best to me dude, but for me, it's under-gained....Of course, I like tones that are way more gain-y than you do, but that's just a personal thing...

The 2nd clip actually has that KISS "Makin' Love" thing goin' on, it just needs a hair more gain IMO...Still, very usable & good sound(s)...

Right, thanks guys. I like the second clip best myself, but it is slightly undergained even for me. My purpose was to just showcase the difference with listening volumes being the same. If I had to choose, I'd go with the more volume less gain every time. Relying on preamp gain only is blah with this amp. It needs the volume.

I dislike the high gain clip.

I like 5 and 5 best (the third one ) but the second one is nice too ..... they both have their charms and I can't really pick one much over the other but if I HAD to I'd go for the 3rd clip ( 5 and 5 )

Right. The high gain low vol clip is mushy and fizzy and just yuck.

And a side note - I didn't have to adjust the input gain on the mic pre with the vol at 8 and vol at 5. They came in right about the same level. Basically, the loudness was the same. While I know 8 is louder than 5, 8 without much preamp feeding it isn't as loud as it would be with more preamp gain.

here's one of my sound experiments ..... just got to thinking about what it might sound like with buncha gits in unison.

So I threw together some drumbs and used a song I used to play like, 40 years ago to track 6 or 7 guitars to .... this is from memory and I'm actually a little surprised at how well I remembered it .... in fact , the bass part is the first thing I did after the drums and this was only the second time I attempted it .... tried once and screwed up and then did it all the way thru.
As usual, I'm interested in the sounds and don't care that much about being perfect musically.
The rest of the parts are 2nd and 3rd takes except the lead which is a first take.

I decided I wasn't gonna try singing anything so I needed to put something over it and I remembered minerman had asked me to post a clip of the Rocktron Banshee so I said, "I'll use that!
Haven't touched the thing in a year or so ..... couldn't get it to sound right.
All my mics are ball mics and those don't work well with the tube because the ball pushes it way off to the side and it sounded like crap.

So I tried a SDC which is a stick but that overloaded the poor thing.

So I ended up mounting the Rocktron talkbox tube about 6 inches in front of a MXL V67 ..... by then I was tired of the whole enterprise and played it and took that. By the end of the track I was getting some interesting sounds outta the talkbox and surely could have done something better but I was done at that point.

I threw down a mix and here it is.

I mixed in my studio where it sounds pretty big on my good system which usually translates well to my 'puter speakers but this one seems to have the kick overloading my speakers a bit.
Dunno why .... if your speakers are wimpy it might do them too so be aware you might have to tweak the bass.

Attachments

• wah1.mp3
    6.2 MB · Views: 14
Here's a silly little unscientific comparison of low volume/high preamp gain compared to high volume/low preamp gain.

Hallmark 60 Custom - P-Rails bridge pickup - Humbucker mode
Marshall JMP 2204 - 50w master volume
Presence - 8
Bass - 5
Mid - 6
Treb - 3
Marshall 1960A 4x12 - G12-65 - Senn e609 on axis, on grill, halfway to edge.
No EQ or processing in DAW.

Low volume/high gain.
Master vol 2 - preamp 8

High volume/low gain.
Master vol 8 - preamp 2

Medium volume/medium gain
Master vol 5 - preamp 5

See what you think.

#1 actually sounds pretty badass to me. Much more gain than I've heard from you, but would work well in a raunchy hard rock song. The "chug" on the low palm muted notes is tight even at this low master setting. That's rare from my experience.
#2 is pretty much where I like the tone from this amp. It's just past that point of breakup, and lets the guitar speak for itself. I'd add an overdrive from here if I needed more sensitivity or saturation.
#3 sounds kind of thin, but still has some hair on it. I don't think that it sounds bad, and would totally work in a mix where there's a bass guitar to pick up the lows. But #2 beats it for me, just because it has more body.

I would use #1 and #2 if I could put them as presets on an amp and recall them at will.

Fun to hear how different the JMP 2204 sounds than the JCM 2204. You've certainly got yours figured out, it sounds great. I'm still fiddling with mine. There is a surprising range of tones in this simple amp, and I'm honing in on a few that I like a lot. With such different pickups as '65 Jazzmaster single coils and a shit-hot modern Gibson T500, it's going to take me a while to find "that" setting for my tastes and my guitar of the moment.

I ordered a new set of tubes (just so I KNOW what's in it, rather than the hodgepodge of who-knows-how-old tubes that are in it now) and a bias probe so I can at least settle a few variables. If you never hear from me again, assume that I died from electrocution while doing my first bias job on a running amplifier. Let my epitaph read "don't touch that!".

Last edited:
here's one of my sound experiments ..... just got to thinking about what it might sound like with buncha gits in unison.

So I threw together some drumbs and used a song I used to play like, 40 years ago to track 6 or 7 guitars to .... this is from memory and I'm actually a little surprised at how well I remembered it .... in fact , the bass part is the first thing I did after the drums and this was only the second time I attempted it .... tried once and screwed up and then did it all the way thru.
As usual, I'm interested in the sounds and don't care that much about being perfect musically.
The rest of the parts are 2nd and 3rd takes except the lead which is a first take.

I decided I wasn't gonna try singing anything so I needed to put something over it and I remembered minerman had asked me to post a clip of the Rocktron Banshee so I said, "I'll use that!
All my mics are ball mics and those don't work well with the tube because the ball pushes it way off to the side and it sounded like crap.

So I ended up mounting the Rocktron talkbox tube about 6 inches in front of a MXL V67 ..... by then I was tired of the whole enterprise and played it and took that. By the end of the track I was getting some interesting sounds outta the talkbox and surely could have done something better but I was done at that point.

I mixed in my studio where it sounds pretty big on my good system which usually translates well to my 'puter speakers but this one seems to have the kick overloading my speakers a bit.
Dunno why .... if your speakers are wimpy it might do them too so be aware you might have to tweak the bass.

Dude, I LOVE the talk box sound. What are you using for that? *edit* I just saw that it was the Banshee. Love it.

This is the first time I've known that I'm hearing several guitars overlaid. Actually I like it quite a bit. Dynamically, they sound a little indistinct, not much punch or definition to them. But I love the almost chorus effect. Actually I guess that it's a true chorus since this what chorus effects try to emulate...an actual chorus of voices!

Also, nice job remembering Black Dog of all songs after decades :)

Haha, that sounds pretty good Boob. Nice talkbox for doing it in a non-traditional way. The layers of guitars work together. Sometimes the effect almost resembles keys underneath the guitars. So that song is called "Black Dog"? It's funny, I've heard that song, and pretty much every other Zep song a million times....I don't know the names of any of them. Maybe like two or three.

#1 actually sounds pretty badass to me. Much more gain than I've heard from you, but would work well in a raunchy hard rock song. The "chug" on the low palm muted notes is tight even at this low master setting. That's rare from my experience.
#2 is pretty much where I like the tone from this amp. It's just past that point of breakup, and lets the guitar speak for itself. I'd add an overdrive from here if I needed more sensitivity or saturation.
#3 sounds kind of thin, but still has some hair on it. I don't think that it sounds bad, and would totally work in a mix where there's a bass guitar to pick up the lows. But #2 beats it for me, just because it has more body.

I would use #1 and #2 if I could put them as presets on an amp and recall them at will.

Fun to hear how different the JMP 2204 sounds than the JCM 2204. You've certainly got yours figured out, it sounds great. I'm still fiddling with mine. There is a surprising range of tones in this simple amp, and I'm honing in on a few that I like a lot. With such different pickups as '65 Jazzmaster single coils and a shit-hot modern Gibson T500, it's going to take me a while to find "that" setting for my tastes and my guitar of the moment.
Thanks dude. It is a different amp from your 2204 even though they are the same circuit. When I got this thing, I knew it had some issues, but I had no idea how deep I'd go to fix them. It sounded good, but it was dark. It was kind of flubby. It also made noise due to the filter caps being original and worn out. I just started picking at it, studying it, comparing pics and specs online, doing routine maintenance, and one by one I'd find little things that were modded or just done wrong as repairs over the years. Each fix would bring it closer and closer to what it's supposed to be. There were three very important fixes that really whipped this amp back into shape - 1) I put the fucking bright cap back in. Why people remove this thing is beyond me. 2) replaced the filter caps and bias caps. That got rid of the constant hum and noise. 3) corrected the EL34 conversion which was done all wrong. This was a big one. My amp is a US version, so it originally came with 6550s. Someone at some time popped EL34s in it without doing any of the resistor changes on the board. How it even biased up is a mystery to me. I could have just put 6550s back in it and called it a day, but I want the EL34 sound. Getting that right made a big difference. The rest was just going resistor by resistor and cap by cap making sure the values were correct and rewiring the input jacks to work as they should.

The biggest revelation I had was learning about the power supplies. Even though JMP and JCM 2203/2204s are the same circuit, the power supply voltages are very different. The JMP era amps have much lower B+ voltages, like in the 350-400 VDC range. Around the time the amp became the JCM, the power supply went way up. The JCM era amps run in the mid 400s VDC, some almost as high as 500 VDC. These lower internal voltages are what makes the JMP era amps a little warmer, a little "browner", makes them break up a little different from the brighter, edgier, more aggressive higher voltage JCM era amps.

So after all that, my JMP 2204 is now just right, just as it should be, I think it sounds killer, and it's probably my most often used amp for practices and playing live. I love it. It's so simple. I get a lot of nice compliments about my live tone.

I ordered a new set of tubes (just so I KNOW what's in it, rather than the hodgepodge of who-knows-how-old tubes that are in it now) and a bias probe so I can at least settle a few variables. If you never hear from me again, assume that I died from electrocution while doing my first bias job on a running amplifier. Let my epitaph read "don't touch that!".
Awesome. It's really quite easy, but be careful. I'm not gonna say you'll die, but you can get a motherfucker of a shock even from an unplugged amp. You're gonna need to figure out your plate voltage to calculate your bias figures. Don't just shoot for a number. Figure out what number you need and set it to that.

Dynamically, they sound a little indistinct, not much punch or definition to them. But I love the almost chorus effect. Actually I guess that it's a true chorus since this what chorus effects try to emulate...an actual chorus of voices!

Also, nice job remembering Black Dog of all songs after decades :)

Haha, that sounds pretty good Boob. Nice talkbox for doing it in a non-traditional way. The layers of guitars work together. Sometimes the effect almost resembles keys underneath the guitars. So that song is called "Black Dog"? It's funny, I've heard that song, and pretty much every other Zep song a million times....I don't know the names of any of them. Maybe like two or three.
Actually it's 'The Ocean' ....... thanks guys. I was kinda happy with it for being just thrown down.
After getting the drums done, which are always the most time consuming part, I prolly only spent a couple of hours on the gits.
Counting drums ..... maybe 5 hours from start to finish.

I almost feel like putting the bed track without any lead just for the purpose of hearing the layered gits.

I do quite like the almost keyboard effect Greg mentioned during parts of it, but I also agree with Tadpui about them not having much punch in other spots.
I think that's partly from doing it quickly and not taking time to really make all the parts precisely match up.

I'd hate to lose the chorusy effect for parts of it but I would like it tighter for other parts of it.

And that's exactly what the purpose of this was .... to learn something about layering and I did.
Eventually I hope, this is gonna be useful knowledge for recording stuff.
:)

Back