The New Tone Thread

My ears heard a minimal change when i turned off the low pass filter. I am not sure it would be enough to make much of a difference. I am going to try a few things right now while the house is empty.

REF A W/ LOW PASS
REF B WO/ LOW PASS

I wanna say the w/o low pass clip has slightly better clarity, but that might be all in my mind. I've been mixing all day and my ears are wiped out right now. But it does seem the w/o low pass clip has a little better "air" to it, but it's still not enough.

My ears heard a minimal change when i turned off the low pass filter. I am not sure it would be enough to make much of a difference. I am going to try a few things right now while the house is empty.

REF A W/ LOW PASS
REF B WO/ LOW PASS

I really can't tell much difference myself either Shan, but then again, my hearing isn't as good as some folks here, as they hear things I simply don't...I guess all those years of loud-ass machinery plus loud music is catching up on me...

The WO does sound better to me but I can't be sure because the net is super slow today and I only get a second or so of play before a stall which may influence my opinion.

Morning gents,

It's the weekend and I still haven't bought curtains, which means I've been playing on my guitar since 6AM.

Give us a hand with this metal tone
https://soundcloud.com/brother-number-one/metal-tone-test
Think it might suffer from a little too much reverb - I'm adlibbing mainly so forgive the playing, but when I start palm muted down picking repeatedly towards the end of the clip it develops a farty noise between picks - Its OK when I'm playing a bit slower and just riffing.

Morning gents,

It's the weekend and I still haven't bought curtains, which means I've been playing on my guitar since 6AM.

Give us a hand with this metal tone
https://soundcloud.com/brother-number-one/metal-tone-test
Think it might suffer from a little too much reverb - I'm adlibbing mainly so forgive the playing, but when I start palm muted down picking repeatedly towards the end of the clip it develops a farty noise between picks - Its OK when I'm playing a bit slower and just riffing.

I think that's a pretty decent modern metal tone. It still sounds very simmy though. It's just flat. It doesn't punch. But the base sound is there IMO. I'm not a metal guy by any stretch, but that sounds pretty close.

It's missing heaviness on the palm mutes.
One thing you can try is going really heavy (to the point where it's almost overbearing) with the palm mutes and then put a multiband compressor on them in a mix to squash that low frequency range when they come in. Helps them sound big.

I think that's a pretty decent modern metal tone. It still sounds very simmy though. It's just flat. It doesn't punch. But the base sound is there IMO. I'm not a metal guy by any stretch, but that sounds pretty close.
Yeah, it is pretty simmy but Im generally pretty happy with the tone so just gonna make some minor tweaks and start working with it.

---------- Update ----------

It's missing heaviness on the palm mutes.
One thing you can try is going really heavy (to the point where it's almost overbearing) with the palm mutes and then put a multiband compressor on them in a mix to squash that low frequency range when they come in. Helps them sound big.
Hmmm, that sounds like a bit of a faff to me

So one of my bands is auditioning bassists. One sure way to score points with me is to show up with this....

That's a 1966 Mosrite Ventures bass. Oh my goodness, it's so fucking killer. He let me take it home! It's sitting here with me. This thing plays like a dream. It's got a small neck on it, seems semi short scale. I love this thing.

Yeah, it is pretty simmy but Im generally pretty happy with the tone so just gonna make some minor tweaks and start working with it.

---------- Update ----------

Hmmm, that sounds like a bit of a faff to me
Its quite the standard metal mixing trick. Give it a try before you knock it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jfEh79A0b0U

This guy explains it better than me at about 4:40.

Last edited:
So one of my bands is auditioning bassists. One sure way to score points with me is to show up with this....

That's a 1966 Mosrite Ventures bass. Oh my goodness, it's so fucking killer. He let me take it home! It's sitting here with me. This thing plays like a dream. It's got a small neck on it, seems semi short scale. I love this thing.

Make sure you wipe it clean before you give it back.

Its quite the standard metal mixing trick. Give it a try before you knock it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jfEh79A0b0U

This guy explains it better than me at about 4:40.

I will watch it and give it some thought - just cracked open a tinny and want to play for a bit now though. I am generally against things that you do afterwards in the DAW; that kind of feels like turd polish to me. Also, I just like to hear what I am doing as I go along - it makes a big difference to me.
evening tones.jpg

I am generally against things that you do afterwards in the DAW; that kind of feels like turd polish to me. Also, I just like to hear what I am doing as I go along - it makes a big difference to me.

I definitely get what you mean. But I think if you're going for a modern metal tone and sound overall, you'll have to accept that the modern metal sound involves post-production and buggery.

Good choice in beer!

Cheers! :)

Was just thinking, I've never heard anything by The Ventures and have no idea what they sound like. Their guitars are cool though

A Welshman who hasn't heard the Ventures! Where are your ice seas surfing roots?
That's a beautiful bass - I've been watching one on fleabay but it's become too much a richman's game for me.

I am generally against things that you do afterwards in the DAW; that kind of feels like turd polish to me. Also, I just like to hear what I am doing as I go along - it makes a big difference to me.
Everybody's generally against doing things afterwards in the daw dude, but if you can get a sound/tone you're happy with by doing so, what's wrong with doing that???

You know man, I used to jump through hoops to get my tones where I thought they needed to be: eq, saturation plugs, multi-band compressors, reverb, you name it, I've probably tried it...Even with these kick-ass amps that I have now (I think they are anyway), I still might use a little eq, reverb or whatever...

I'm all for getting it right at the source too, but again, you gotta do what you gotta do man....

Back