The New Tone Thread

YES!!!

You can NOT deny that sound pwns.

Hey thanks Boob. That's some fucking rock and roll guitar sound, right? Shit dude, that was right out of the gate. I'm impressed with myself. :laughings:

I'm getting some hum through my pedalboard though. Plugged straight in the amp is quiet. When I run through my retarded pedal maze of shit I get some noise. And it doesn't seem to be happening with my other amps. That's weird to me.

Sounds good Greg....so, in your little time with this amp, how's it different than your others???? It sounds fuckin' great for the first clip to be honest man, looks like you've got a good deal....again....:).

Haha, sounds awesome.

Sounds good Greg....so, in your little time with this amp, how's it different than your others???? It sounds fuckin' great for the first clip to be honest man, looks like you've got a good deal....again....:).

Thanks guys!

I still haven't had the opportunity to really jam it much yet. It really can only compare to the 100w Plexi because they're similar circuits and both non-master vol amps, and my JMP 2204 because they're both 50 watts. The JVM and JCM 800 are wildly different beasts.

So compared to the 100w Plexi, this 50w breaks up much sooner and seems to be a lot warmer/fatter. That stands to reason being only 50 watts. The 100w version has way way more headroom, which is awesome in it's own right, but I love how rich and "squishy" this 50w gets. It sings it's crunch beautifully. The 50w is insanely loud, but it definitely does not have the chest pounding punch of the 100w.

Compared to the JMP 2204, the 50w Plexi is even more different. The 2204 has a master volume, so it will stay tighter longer and when it hits the wall it just compresses more and more. The 50w Plexi will squish and squish but retain it's clarity a little better. The 2204 has an aggressive grinding voicing that's typical of 2203/2204 amps. The 50w Plexi is a little more textured and musical. I've been really falling back in love with the 2204, but then this thing came along, and Lt Boob might be right. This might become my new workhorse.

That's what I'm hearing so far anyway. Those are my first impressions. I think I might want to play with the bright cap value on the 50w Plexi just so it doesn't break up so fast. It's crunching up already at 2 on the volumes. If I can get that up to around 4 I think I'll be really happy.

I'm also looking for an attenuator. I'm not gonna PPIMV this thing. I think it's gonna be too loud for gigs, but knocking a few dbs off will work.

I still haven't had the opportunity to really jam it much yet. It really can only compare to the 100w Plexi because they're similar circuits and both non-master vol amps, and my JMP 2204 because they're both 50 watts. The JVM and JCM 800 are wildly different beasts.
I know you haven't had it really long enough to make a real judgement on it dude, & I know it's way different than your JVM/JCM, I was just curious to how it compared to your other plexi...

So compared to the 100w Plexi, this 50w breaks up much sooner and seems to be a lot warmer/fatter. That stands to reason being only 50 watts. The 100w version has way way more headroom, which is awesome in it's own right, but I love how rich and "squishy" this 50w gets. It sings it's crunch beautifully. The 50w is insanely loud, but it definitely does not have the chest pounding punch of the 100w.
Makes me wonder about the comparison we did between my clone & your 100w a few months back dude, to me, that sounds like my Ceriatone...Of course, I don't have anything except the DSL100 to compare it to, but your description sounds about right for my amp over here....

Compared to the JMP 2204, the 50w Plexi is even more different. The 2204 has a master volume, so it will stay tighter longer and when it hits the wall it just compresses more and more. The 50w Plexi will squish and squish but retain it's clarity a little better. The 2204 has an aggressive grinding voicing that's typical of 2203/2204 amps. The 50w Plexi is a little more textured and musical. I've been really falling back in love with the 2204, but then this thing came along, and Lt Boob might be right. This might become my new workhorse.
Very cool man, maybe you've found "the" amp...I don't have very much experience with 'em, but I wouldn't sell or trade my Ceriatone for anything man, I like it that much....

That's what I'm hearing so far anyway. Those are my first impressions. I think I might want to play with the bright cap value on the 50w Plexi just so it doesn't break up so fast. It's crunching up already at 2 on the volumes. If I can get that up to around 4 I think I'll be really happy.
That's funny dude, because if it's breaking up on 2 that sounds like it'd be about perfect for me...

I'm also looking for an attenuator. I'm not gonna PPIMV this thing. I think it's gonna be too loud for gigs, but knocking a few dbs off will work.
What kind of attenuator are you gonna try to get??? I've read all kinds of different reviews on different brands, but from what I've read, Aracom & Rivera are king....Maybe the Fryette thing that just came out, but, all of 'em I've mentioned are pretty pricey....

Cool beans man....

And, in other news, I may be auditioning for a KISS tribute band...lol...Just seeing what's happening in the local scene, there's a Kiss cover/tribute band looking for a guitar player, so I contacted 'em...Nothing for sure yet, but me & the singer have been talking back/forth, & he's supposed to set up a try-out/audition thing...Either way, I'm really out nothing except time & some gas $$$...It's about an hour drive from where I live to where they practice, so I dunno really...An hour one way isn't terribly bad, but it's not what I'd call local either...Most of the gigs I've done have been about that far at least, so...They're supposed to have gigs lined up for the summer I think, not sure....We'll see I suppose....

What kind of attenuator are you gonna try to get??? I've read all kinds of different reviews on different brands, but from what I've read, Aracom & Rivera are king....Maybe the Fryette thing that just came out, but, all of 'em I've mentioned are pretty pricey....
I'm mainly looking at the Weber stuff. Some of their models use actual speaker coils, just with no cone, so I'm liking the idea of that. Supposedly it's more natural. I'm also NOT looking to squash these things down to bedroom levels. I just want to knock a few db off for gigs and that's it. The Mass Lite, Mass III, and Mass 200 are the ones currently on my radar.

And, in other news, I may be auditioning for a KISS tribute band...lol...Just seeing what's happening in the local scene, there's a Kiss cover/tribute band looking for a guitar player, so I contacted 'em...Nothing for sure yet, but me & the singer have been talking back/forth, & he's supposed to set up a try-out/audition thing...Either way, I'm really out nothing except time & some gas $$$...It's about an hour drive from where I live to where they practice, so I dunno really...An hour one way isn't terribly bad, but it's not what I'd call local either...Most of the gigs I've done have been about that far at least, so...They're supposed to have gigs lined up for the summer I think, not sure....We'll see I suppose....

Lol. That's awesome. You gonna be Ace?

I'm mainly looking at the Weber stuff. Some of their models use actual speaker coils, just with no cone, so I'm liking the idea of that. Supposedly it's more natural. I'm also NOT looking to squash these things down to bedroom levels. I just want to knock a few db off for gigs and that's it. The Mass Lite, Mass III, and Mass 200 are the ones currently on my radar.

I'd totally forgotten about Weber dude...I've been watching some of the vids for the Fryette Power Station or whatever it is, & man I have to say, that thing looks killer, but it's also expensive as fuck...I'm sure just knocking off a little you wouldn't lose any tone Greg, but you already know that...Weber is pretty reasonable with their prices from what I remember...

Lol. That's awesome. You gonna be Ace?
Lol...Yeah dude, I haven't heard back from 'em in a day or two, but I've got a fresh set of strings on the Lester, & if/when I go try out or whatever, I'm gonna take the Chupacabra & my bastard cab....I'd thought about just taking the Tweaker & a 1x12, but fuck it.....He sent me a little list to ask if I could play 'em...pretty easy if you've played any Kiss before...."She", "Rock-N-Roll All Nite", "Strutter", "Deuce", shit like that...

Everything I do is an hour away .... 45 minutes at the very least .... that wouldn't bother me although driving in Kentucky can get somewhat hairy on the backroads.

So DO IT!!!

ya'll gonna wear makeup? :D

Thanks Uncle Bob...An hour each way isn't too bad right now, but depending on what happens when I have to go back to work (which is rapidly approaching btw...) it might be an issue...Won't be driving to KY for practice....TN...:).

Dunno really, haven't even met the guys yet, waiting on the green light...For all I know, they might be blowing smoke up my ass, but if they call, I will show up...I've been going over a lot of those songs too, so I should be good to go, if it happens....

The singer (Brett) said as of now, no makeup/costumes or anything, but you never know....:laughings:.

Yeah dude, I know that's the whole idea, right??? Still haven't heard from 'em, like I said, the guy might've been blowing smoke up my ass...I saw Kiss on the R&R Hall of Fame thing this evening, & I think I could pull it off, Frehley's looking pretty rough these days....:laughings:.

Either way, I am gonna try to find some people to play some music with this summer...The local buddies aren't gonna do anything, I've pretty much given up on 'em, especially Chuck (the drummer), he can't stay straight or out of trouble long enough to do anything worthwhile, & the rest of that bunch ain't much better really....I live in a bad, bad part of the country dude, it plain sucks here...I could move somewhere that's better, but honestly, I don't wanna do that because of my Mom....Since Dad died, she's doing really good (considering), but she does need me from time to time, & if I moved away, I wouldn't be able to do that....I've got a big brother, & we both pitch in to do everything we can, but I don't wanna lay it all off on him either ya know...

Everything I do is an hour away .... 45 minutes at the very least .... that wouldn't bother me although driving in Kentucky can get somewhat hairy on the backroads.
Yeah, but for you that's just mostly showing up and playing. He's gonna have to do the band practice thing on a regular basis and having that an hour away would really suck, especially in the beginning.

Back