The New Tone Thread

Man, if I were gonna buy a Marshall that's the one I'd want.
They may not have as much headroom as their big brothers but they still have plenty and there's a sweet spot with those things that nothing else quite has.

Congrats ...... my prediction is that it will become a primary amp for you in time as you work with it.

Also ..... Greg ...... You'll very much appreciate the git I just put pics of in the unusual guitar thread.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...-unique-guitars-you-own-379844/5/#post4311518

Last edited:
sorry for the tl;dr

Hey gang, I have returned from a much needed get away. My first day at my brother in laws house i napped about four times. That is even with two screaming kids of his running around. that is more naps than i have had in about 8 years!!

Probably the highlight for me, of course was getting to meet Greg out in the real world and checking out southpaw guitars! It was a pretty rad visit actually. If a Canuck was to ever experience real southern hospitality it is safe to say my wife and i got it in full. No Question. Incredibly accommodating, He took us to some food joints that were so freaking good. Southpaw guitars, to me was, what i think a muslim would feel like visiting mecca. It was all really overwhelming. I'll spare you all the emo claptrap of that experience. Had no idea where to start looking. Like a kid in a candy shop. We share a lot of similar music tastes which was super cool. Greg was also super accommodating the next day and I was lucky enough to view his tone lab. Guys, there really are no words for that. That was just a whole lot of rock and roll in his room for this small town kid who has used a Pod for the last 7 years or more. Had an impromptu jam that safely made my month and has fueled me even more to actually try to find guys to jam with up here. I really miss that electricity in the air all around me. Wow. In hindsight we really ought to have just hit record despite my rustyness and I am not entirely sure his guitars loved me playing them the way i do but, they survived. HaHa. That dang mosrite clone was just a dream to play. It just felt right. Like that is how a guitar should feel in your fingers. Good visit.

Funny story though, the wife and i were waiting for him at Cracker Barrel, and i had messaged him with where we were sitting, what i was wearing for identification purposes etc. it reached a point where i had take a leak after 3 coffees, and she was out in the shopping area, but i didn't want to move in case he came in. When she got back i looked at her and said "i gotta go, it can't wait, keep your eyes peeled for him". I run off and low and behold, who is in there unloading as well.

I just laughed. HaHa!! Any good friendship starts in a mens washroom. right ?!

Long story short, it goes with out saying to all of you here i am sure, but Greg is very good shit and both myself and my wife appreciated him taking time out of his life to hang with us. My wife told me on the plane "we will add their family to our Christmas list"

It also confirms that the people here are of the finest kind. I am humbled to be part of the community. :thumbs up:

Here are a couple pictures. That were snagged.

turds
Mr Rock and Roll

Now back to the musics this weekend!!!!

Nice amp Greg, what amazes me is that it's not been modded at all, even if it's a re-issue...For $600, I was expecting you to have to put a lot of things back to stock, great buy dude!!!! Comparison clips dude.....

Cool pics Shan, but I do have to admit you look very different than what I expected, glad you had a good vacation, everyone needs a break from the grind man!!!

Bob, while I'm not into college football at all, that is a nice looking strat man, very nice....

turds
Mr Rock and Roll

Did you plan on wearing the same shoes?! Good stuff, man. I had the good fortune to live near a shop that stocked a lot of lefty guitars for a while. My local big guitar shop now has one, which is lame. If I ever find myself Houston-way, I'll look up both the Gerg and that guitar shop. Is Houston the sort of place you'd go as a tourist? It's not a famous destination over here (I don't think Texas is at all) - everyone goes to New York, California or Florida.

Greg: Nice to see that Plexi find it's way into your room.

Cool pics Shan, but I do have to admit you look very different than what I expected, glad you had a good vacation, everyone needs a break from the grind man!!!

Thanks man. It was definitely much needed. I needed to regroup for sure. I think i may have been bordering on that "stressed out" level. But a reality check outside of the work world fixed it. As for how i look, sorry man. Haha. that is the beauty of the internet. We build these little images up in our heads and then were dumbfounded when we see the real life version of stuff.

Did you plan on wearing the same shoes?! Good stuff, man. I had the good fortune to live near a shop that stocked a lot of lefty guitars for a while. My local big guitar shop now has one, which is lame. If I ever find myself Houston-way, I'll look up both the Gerg and that guitar shop. Is Houston the sort of place you'd go as a tourist? It's not a famous destination over here (I don't think Texas is at all) - everyone goes to New York, California or Florida.

Haha! Wasn't planned. It just happened. Chucks are a universal language. Texas has it charms but i am explorer by nature (land surveying, mapping) so i can find awesomeness in the muskeg haha, and it's nothing for me and my wife to hop in the Jeep and drive to Seattle just because. So i may not be the best person to ask. The heat and humidity even though it really bugged me one or two days, i could get used to for a week or two. Houston itsef is it's own place, it's not like Puerto Vallarta or Disneyland but there is a metric shit ton of stuff to keep someone busy for a week or two. I didn't even touch the museums or night life yet and i have been there twice. I'd say do it for sure.

Southpaw was cool for me personally because anytime in my life i have gone to a guitar shop and pick something up to try, a sales person will stop and be like "weird man, you're holding it wrong". It shouldn't bother me but sometimes depending on their attitude it really got to me. When i walked into this place the guy literally said "You are among friends, we get it" That meant a lot to me and they confirmed a few questions i had prelaoded for them. I will do some mail order business with them for absolute sure.

Are you a lefty too Johnny Deep?

Man, if I were gonna buy a Marshall that's the one I'd want.
They may not have as much headroom as their big brothers but they still have plenty and there's a sweet spot with those things that nothing else quite has.

Congrats ...... my prediction is that it will become a primary amp for you in time as you work with it.
Yeah maybe so. Thanks. I do like it. I've only played it at the practice space and it sounded cool in there through a 4x12. I need to get to know it at home now and really dial it in.

Also ..... Greg ...... You'll very much appreciate the git I just put pics of in the unusual guitar thread.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...-unique-guitars-you-own-379844/5/#post4311518
Ha, that's awesome. You made some fan's day..and then Saban ended up at the worst place possible for us. :(

turds
Mr Rock and Roll

Fuck yeah. I look like a dick with ears. It was awesome meeting you guys and hurry your asses back any time. I'll meet you in the men's room. :eek::thumbs up:

Nice amp Greg, what amazes me is that it's not been modded at all, even if it's a re-issue...For $600, I was expecting you to have to put a lot of things back to stock, great buy dude!!!! Comparison clips dude.....
I was suspicious too. I yanked the chassis and just looked over everything. Nothing's been changed or tweaked as far as I can tell right now. There was no obvious soldering anywhere and all the caps and resistors look stock. No burns, misrouted wires, nothing. It looks like it just left the factory. My buddy said the guy that owned it is not a tinker/mod kind of guy. He just plugs in and plays. It seems to be functionally perfect.

No, there's nothing touristy about Houston. It's huge, spread out, nothing really to see, and a bit of bitch to get around. It's probably a tourist nightmare. You have to have some kind of reason to come here. Family, work, etc. No one just comes here for vacation....unless they live in a third-world mud hut or they're masochists.

Greg: Nice to see that Plexi find it's way into your room.

Thanks man. It was definitely much needed. I needed to regroup for sure. I think i may have been bordering on that "stressed out" level. But a reality check outside of the work world fixed it. As for how i look, sorry man. Haha. that is the beauty of the internet. We build these little images up in our heads and then were dumbfounded when we see the real life version of stuff.

Haha! Wasn't planned. It just happened. Chucks are a universal language. Texas has it charms but i am explorer by nature (land surveying, mapping) so i can find awesomeness in the muskeg haha, and it's nothing for me and my wife to hop in the Jeep and drive to Seattle just because. So i may not be the best person to ask. The heat and humidity even though it really bugged me one or two days, i could get used to for a week or two. Houston itsef is it's own place, it's not like Puerto Vallarta or Disneyland but there is a metric shit ton of stuff to keep someone busy for a week or two. I didn't even touch the museums or night life yet and i have been there twice. I'd say do it for sure.

Southpaw was cool for me personally because anytime in my life i have gone to a guitar shop and pick something up to try, a sales person will stop and be like "weird man, you're holding it wrong". It shouldn't bother me but sometimes depending on their attitude it really got to me. When i walked into this place the guy literally said "You are among friends, we get it" That meant a lot to me and they confirmed a few questions i had prelaoded for them. I will do some mail order business with them for absolute sure.

Are you a lefty too Johnny Deep?

Yeah, I'm a lefty. My dad tried to teach me right handed, but it didn't feel right. When we were young, whenever I used to have a go on someone's guitar, I always got the "you're holding it wrong" and I'd go "oh yeah?" and start playing upside down.

It's much better nowadays. When I was young there weren't many options. There's still whole ranges of guitars that they just don't make left handed, though (thinline Telecasters, for example), unless you get a custom job.

Had a good bad day. Went down to my little music room today for the first time since i have gotten back. turns out my vocal booth fell over and my vocal mic got crushed under a futon mattress and mahogany bifold doors. It ate the proverbial shit sandwich. Totally sucked as i had huge plans to get some more vox tracked for the little cover i am working on done. I went the the music store here and cried hard times to the boys in there and as luck would have they had a used Blue Spark mic reduced to clear for half price. Didn't even hesitate and picked it up after ensuring it worked.

Beautiful mic.

Box

no box

Crisis Averted.

Had a good bad day. Went down to my little music room today for the first time since i have gotten back. turns out my vocal booth fell over and my vocal mic got crushed under a futon mattress and mahogany bifold doors. It ate the proverbial shit sandwich. Totally sucked as i had huge plans to get some more vox tracked for the little cover i am working on done. I went the the music store here and cried hard times to the boys in there and as luck would have they had a used Blue Spark mic reduced to clear for half price. Didn't even hesitate and picked it up after ensuring it worked.

Beautiful mic.

Box

no box

Crisis Averted.

Sorry to hear that. But it seems to have turned out ok. :cool:

On the bright side, you don't have a "vocal booth" any more. :D

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

What an awesome night !!

Should be some good pics and even some clips of it later this week.
I think I may have scored some more work out of it with these guys ...... much fun.

Tommy has been one of the Gregg Allman touring guys and played with the Brothers some too so you know he's been around good players ......
That made it especially nice to know I impressed him. ( who am I kidding? I blew his face off!! :D )

I was supposed to mainly be doing bass tonight behind Floyd but Tommy had told me he wanted me to play on just one of his songs ... but once he got me up he wouldn't let me down.
Played sax all the time I wasn't on bass.

About halfway thru the night I said, "I'm so happy!"

It was a joyful night of music for me and I feel blessed to have gotten the invite.

Congratulations Lt. Bob.
Not only shone but demonstrated skills on 2 instruments.
Are either of the chaps looking towards recording?

Well, Tommy just put out his most recent CD.
But I'm gonna try hard to get in on the next one.

Floyd ........ I dunno ..... he's a bit of an enigma and it's hard to know what he's planning.

What an awesome night !!

Should be some good pics and even some clips of it later this week.
I think I may have scored some more work out of it with these guys ...... much fun.

Tommy has been one of the Gregg Allman touring guys and played with the Brothers some too so you know he's been around good players ......
That made it especially nice to know I impressed him. ( who am I kidding? I blew his face off!! :D )

I was supposed to mainly be doing bass tonight behind Floyd but Tommy had told me he wanted me to play on just one of his songs ... but once he got me up he wouldn't let me down.
Played sax all the time I wasn't on bass.

About halfway thru the night I said, "I'm so happy!"

It was a joyful night of music for me and I feel blessed to have gotten the invite.

Great stuff Lt! I'm made up for you; and suitably impressed.

Thanks guys ..... it was magical actually. You know it was a good night of music if you're sore all over the next day ....... I feel like I ran a marathon!

Time to go play Margaritaville for the tourists!

Last edited:
Thanks guys ..... it was magical actually. You know it was a good night of music if you're sore all over the next day ....... I feel like I ran a marathon!

I sometimes feel like that, and we all know that I'm at the zenith of top physical sexy masculine physical fitness. Slinging around an 11 lb Les Paul and striking serious punk rock and roll guitar poses to make the panties wet can stress the legs and glutes. Mine and theirs. :D

I sometimes feel like that, and we all know that I'm at the zenith of top physical sexy masculine physical fitness. Slinging around an 11 lb Les Paul and striking serious punk rock and roll guitar poses to make the panties wet can stress the legs and glutes. Mine and theirs. :D
you wouldn't believe how many women came up and told me I was awesome and hugged me a little too long with their boyfriends glaring at me!
Seemed like every woman in the place came and found me before they left.

Back