The New Tone Thread

Bob: Seems like you're in pretty damn good health man, that's great!!! At times I think I may need glasses, but other times I don't, so I'm gonna roll with it a while longer...

I really, really appreciate the offer/help/info dude, and for now, I'm ok...Just scraping by, but I'm makin' it, & I've lived this way all my life, so my current situation isn't anything I haven't seen before, but, like I've mentioned, the mining jobs are about gone around here, so I will most likely have to find something else to do, which in all honesty, scares the fuck out of me in a way....I know it's kinda silly, but all I've done my entire life is mine coal, period. I'll most likely have to take a big cut in the pay scale too, but that's ok, as long as I've got health insurance, I can still make it....On the pay scale thing, it'd be a trade-off because the job wouldn't be nearly as dangerous, or as hard work as what I've done all my life....So, it'd probably feel pretty damn good to get off work & not be so worn out from crawling around on my hands/knees, bustin' ass like I've done all these years...I am gonna try to ride this UI out as long as I can, because it's actually like a vacation for me.....Thanks again Bob!!!

With love homeboy. Hope things come around for ya man. Change is scary. But Progression can be rewarding.

Thanks man, really cool.....Those guys look like they'd fit in 'round these parts, especially the fiddle player...:laughings:

This is something I've known that was bound to happen sooner or later, I just didn't expect it this soon....My old man always told me this was gonna happen, & sure enough, he was right, but, that's life...

Believe it or not, I've got a couple little "coal tattoos", scrapes/cuts that get coal dust in 'em actually look like ink....:)

Damn you guys, it's like a country song in here! :D

I'm just hoping the price of oil comes back up soon. I know everyone wants cheap gas, but not us.

I'm just hoping the price of oil comes back up soon. I know everyone wants cheap gas, but not us.

I'll second that. I'm sick of living this peasant life. I need my 23% back so i can start wasting it again on stuff i don't need. HaHa!!!

But for real though, going into a recession right after buying a house was pretty ill timing. I'd like things to come back around. :yawn:

Well dude, I really don't like country music (I actually despise the "new" c.u.n.t-ry) in particular, some of the older outlaw stuff is ok, but, I am a fuckin' hillbilly so.....:laughings:.

And, btw, when the fuck did they start the censor thing here??? I don't remember this place doing that, other forums sure, but not here.... WTF????

So thats what that means. I always wondered wtf they were talking about. Where about are you at Miner?
Look up Dryden VA, USA dude....the little "town" I live in (it's not actually a town really, just a dot on the map...actually Seminary is what it's called, but I don't know if it'll show up or not)....

Well dude, I really don't like country music (I actually despise the "new" c.u.n.t-ry) in particular, some of the older outlaw stuff is ok, but, I am a fuckin' hillbilly so.....:laughings:.

And, btw, when the fuck did they start the censor thing here??? I don't remember this place doing that, other forums sure, but not here.... WTF????

C U N T has always been censored.

Look up Dryden VA, USA dude....the little "town" I live in (it's not actually a town really, just a dot on the map...actually Seminary is what it's called, but I don't know if it'll show up or not)....

Speaking of Country songs Miner, your map search revealed you live in a country song! Trail of the Lonesome Pine Road, Lovelady Gap road. Thats so awesome. I would definitely be stealing a road sign for some of those.

Yep guys, I do live in the heart of hillbilly-land....I was actually in a band years ago called "Hellbilly".....:).

Shan: Dude, Lovelady Gap is about a 10-15 min drive from where I live now, I've spent many a night there back in the boonies with my buddies, a cooler of beer & bag of weed, partying all night....Never heard the song you're talking about, & honestly, really not interested, but it is cool you kinda realize what it's like here, & where it's at....kinda....you have to experience it to really "get it"...:laughings:.really, really laid back/slow paced compared to a city...

My grandma lives in a tiny little cajun-ish slow-paced country town in southern Louisiana called Plaquemine. It's right on the Mississippi River south of Baton Rouge. Lt Boob knows where I'm talking about. It's fucking miserable there for a city-slicker like me. Two or three days there feels like 50 years. I love my grandma and I love visiting her, but jesus harold tap dancing christ, it drives me insane. There is NOTHING to do. Nothing. I take some epic naps there because that's all there is to do. When I was a teenager I was like a celebrity in that town. I'd hang out at the railroad tracks (Lol) with my cousins and the locals and tell tales of life in a real city and they would listen with wide eyes and open mouths. It was insane to me. They were so oblivious. Happy in their blissful ignorance. Fucking New Orleans is an hour away! Go there! New fucking Orleans! If I lived in that town I'd be in New Orleans every fucking day.

You mean like "Deliverance"...only further up north? :D ;)
Yep, pretty much dude...To be honest, the guys in the movie (the banjo guy & his family), actually look like a lot of people from around here, not so much now, but years ago, that was the way everybody looked...I remember my grandpa dressing exactly like that, & I have pictures of my dad from around that time, same thing....

There is NOTHING to do. Nothing.
You should try living here man, seriously....Last summer when I was up in the "holler" where I grew up, no internet, no cell phone, nothing...Fuck, I had to pay a tree service to cut a big-ass poplar tree just so I could have internet installed on a dish, they don't even have cable tv, still to this day...

And, while I'm on a roll, I'm sure the Wal-Mart's where you guys live get some real winners, but honestly, you have no fuckin' clue about these folks around here...At the first of the month (when all the dregs get their monthly checks & food stamps) it's a fuckin' nightmare around here, old people, crazy people, about anything you could dream up are all out/about & on the roads...A few months ago, the same old lady almost ran me over 3 different times in less than an hour...I had some errands to run, & I swear she was terrorizing the whole fuckin' little town...:laughings:.

My grandma lives in a tiny little cajun-ish slow-paced country town in southern Louisiana called Plaquemine. It's right on the Mississippi River south of Baton Rouge. Lt Boob knows where I'm talking about. .
lol .... my first wife was from Donaldsonville .... you've got to know where that is if you know Plaquemine.

Lol. Yeah my grandma's town is like NYC compared to where you live.
Pretty much dude...Where I live, there are 2 Wal-Mart's...I live about half-way in between both of 'em (just guessing...)...The little town I grew up in, literally, there's one way in & one way out man, 4 "hollers", all 4 come to dead ends....But, I moved way up in the world when I moved outta there, fuck man, there's a Subway, Pizza Hut, Mickey-D's, Hardee's & Long John Silver's all on one street....lol...3 red-lights...:)

Lemme see, from one Wal-Mart to the other (I'm guessing about the mileage here, about 30 miles in between 'em, maybe a little more) there are those fast food places & about 6-7 convenience stores along the way...and, the biggest part of those weren't there up until about 15 years ago....

I literally live in the ass-end of the world....:laughings:

Cool Bob!!! BTW, did you ever figure out what was wrong with your Marshall??? Don't remember if you said anything about it or not man...

alritey then ..... I recorded today and since I do seem to do this more scatter-brained than ya'll, I thought I'd detail the entire process from start to finish.

first, I rarely have a song in mind when I start recording .... it just becomes whatever it becomes. Also I rarely try to perfect anything ..... I'm simply trying stuff out to see how it sounds so I take the first takes that don't suck.
Possibly the things I learn may make it onto something that I do try to make perfect but, in general, I'm pretty relaxed about it ...... I'm just trying stuff out ...... my standards are those of a sailor on leave in a foreign port.

This thing I did today all came about because I thought, "I wonder what it'd sound like if I did most of my guitars with 12-strings including leads and distorted sounds."

So I set-up to explore that idea but meantime I somehow got distracted by that beginning you'll hear ..... sort of a , "oh look ..... shiney!" sort of moment .... :D

I got the beginning on and then for some reason decided I wanted someone to yell at the end of that beginning swell so now I'm looking thru my sound library ..... :rolleyes: ...

I get that done and decide I want to do a drone-like bass but then I get distracted by these temple bells I find in my keyboard .... "oooh, I bet I could avoid doing a normal drum track" so now I'm distracted by that.
So for the rhythm track I first do a track with my cabasa ( I have an awesome 40 year-old cabasa) and then use the temple bells like two cowbells and then add some toms and tympani and a few cymbals with my keyboard.
Now I've got something to play against .... so I do a bass guitar..... and then two 6-string guitars for a background.
Now it's 12-string time so I do 4 tracks of 12-strings ..... two clean and two distorted.
I used some of each ..... all leads are 12-strings.

The 12-string with distortion is kinda interesting when you bend strings ..... it gets very chaotic sounding ..... I like it.
I'll prolly have a better mix of this later but this is what I did today.
Bass went direct thru a DBX Mini-Pre and the guitars were all thru my Mark V ..... EV Cobalt 7 mic thru the same DBX Mini-Pre.

Attachments

• KAMPA _0393.mp3
    5.3 MB · Views: 15
Back