The New Tone Thread

Lol. You have to carry an amp 30 minutes each way? Yeah, I'd use sims too if that was the case.
30 minutes total, so back and forth. But it's just such a pain in the ass. It literally hurts my ass to carry that thing for so long. It's not a very heavy head at about 10kgs but it's just so awkward to carry and I also have to bring along my laptop, my interface and maybe an instrument, so it goes up to about 20-25kgs of stuff.
I wish I had a little trolly for it. Or AxeFX.

@minerman:
I was not aware! I'm going to download those and see what they offer.
What's an IR?

LePou Plugins
The Orange tone is easily the best of these and pretty good overall. The first three have too much gain and are undefined. The rectifier is too fizzy.

edit: I just downloaded the Guitar Rig 5 demo
"Can't save sounds"
"Quits after 30 minutes"
Haha, aaaaaaaaand deleted.
Not even going to try it. Fuck that.

2nd edit: LePou doesn't have an AAX version. I can't use VST in Pro Fools 11 :(

Last edited:
as a left handed guitar player, I feel I need to know more about that t shirt Greg!

When you come to town, I'll take you there. Southpaw Guitars. It's a little hole in the wall guitar shop in the middle of the mexican ghetto, but this guy is THE place for left handed guitars.

@minerman:
I was not aware! I'm going to download those and see what they offer.
What's an IR?

LePou Plugins
The Orange tone is easily the best of these and pretty good overall. The first three have too much gain and are undefined. The rectifier is too fizzy.

edit: I just downloaded the Guitar Rig 5 demo
"Can't save sounds"
"Quits after 30 minutes"
Haha, aaaaaaaaand deleted.
Not even going to try it. Fuck that.

2nd edit: LePou doesn't have an AAX version. I can't use VST in Pro Fools 11 :(
Sorry about the compatibility thing man, it didn't even cross my mind...I have no idea how or even if you could get these to work with Pro Tools, & I really didn't know about the free version of Guitar Rig dude, I thought since it was so limited with amps/cab/etc, that was all, didn't know it quits after 30 mins & you can't save anything....

On the Poulin plugs, I thought they'd work in all daws, so sorry 'bout that too man...

I'm not even sure about Amplitube either, it might be like GR5, if you're still interested, you might try it...

IR's explained

Not sure if there are any free IR loaders you'll be able to use (AAX??), but you could probably do some searching & find out, again, if you're interested man....That said, if you do find an IR loader, there are tons & tons of free cab IR's out there, again, you'll just have to search....

And, not being a smart-ass or anything, but I'm really glad I use Reaper on a pc dude, I know Pro Tools is the "industry standard", but it just seems like a big bunch of bullshit to me....

Good luck dude, again, sorry about all this, just trying to be helpful....:o

Here's a couple that would work for you, but not free:
Mix IR2

Recabinet 4

I do a lot of work outside of home so I use Pro Tools. It's just how it all began (well, really it was Ableton Live Lite 7 which came with my interface :drunk:) and it's just what everything works on. It doesn't matter if it's SSL, Neve or a Mackie desk: they all have Pro Tools installed on their respective PCs or Macs.

I can't say that I'm well versed in Reaper but Pro Tools does have a few handy functions when it comes down to dealing with fifty tracks, a movie and MIDI at the same time that other DAWs don't have.
But for a home studio, meh, whatever.

When you come to town, I'll take you there. Southpaw Guitars. It's a little hole in the wall guitar shop in the middle of the mexican ghetto, but this guy is THE place for left handed guitars.

Deal. I'd be lying if i said i hadn't googled this place. It's seems like it is Ned Flanders leftorium except for cool rockers. I'd stil probably be out my league though because i just play right handed guitars strung for right handed people, left handed. people say it hurts their head to watch me play. Some shudder. HaHa. But if this thing is still in stock i NEED to play it. It's beautiful.

@Schwarenfuzzer: While Amplitube 3 is indeed free and incredibly limited, their custom shop end of business is really the crown jewel of the Plug In. You can download pretty much any sim they offer and sample it for three days. If after three days you want it you just buy it? If it sucks, you are out nothing. I personally think that this is the way everyone (sim developers) should be doing it. I played with the plug in a bit a few nights ago and i can see it taking up residence in my workflow. Pretty neat actually.

I am going to get the Poulan one later and give it a try. In the mean time though having way to much fun with the real amp.

Addendum: My brother just came over for a visit / end of weekend Bourbon and we dimed the orange. Turns out our neighbors on the other side of the utility right of way don't seem to be fans of The Misfits.

Deal. I'd be lying if i said i hadn't googled this place. It's seems like it is Ned Flanders leftorium except for cool rockers. I'd stil probably be out my league though because i just play right handed guitars strung for right handed people, left handed. people say it hurts their head to watch me play. Some shudder. HaHa. But if this thing is still in stock i NEED to play it. It's beautiful.
Yeah that's nice. This guy is just like a Ned Flanders. He's very kind, very Godly, and he always has vagrants and kids roaming around giving them things to do. The store is a disheveled mess of stuff everywhere. But he must be doing something right because he has a fucking one-off left handed guitar shop smack in the middle of little mexico that's been open for over 30 years. I like going there even though I'm not left handed. I always try to buy a little something from him, and I actually bought my very first bass there in 1988. He does have a few right handed guitars.

Addendum: My brother just came over for a visit / end of weekend Bourbon and we dimed the orange. Turns out our neighbors on the other side of the utility right of way don't seem to be fans of The Misfits.

You need new neighbors.

Yeah that's nice. This guy is just like a Ned Flanders. He's very kind, very Godly, and he always has vagrants and kids roaming around giving them things to do. The store is a disheveled mess of stuff everywhere. But he must be doing something right because he has a fucking one-off left handed guitar shop smack in the middle of little mexico that's been open for over 30 years. I like going there even though I'm not left handed. I always try to buy a little something from him, and I actually bought my very first bass there in 1988. He does have a few right handed guitars.

You need new neighbors.

Ha! I'll make do with these turkeys for now. It turns out the culprit for the back yard being louder than the front yard is a crappy old basement window with one pane of glass in it. I'll ram something in this weekend. For both noise and security sake. Speaking of weekend, due to the holiday and my reduced hours work schedule i have a 5 day weekend coming up. I going to make hay with that Amp. I think i mentioned (and greg encouraged a year or more ago) doing an start to finish cover of the Misfits Static Age record. Might be a good project on a number of different levels?! New to me Computer and new to me amp. The math is there just gotta work out the solution. Stoked. So Stoked.

Also i looked into those LePou amp sims? If i understand the video i watched correctly, i need to also have a bunch of emulator files? Or Impulse files? Can anyone confirm or clarify this?

Also i looked into those LePou amp sims? If i understand the video i watched correctly, i need to also have a bunch of emulator files? Or Impulse files? Can anyone confirm or clarify this?

Cool on the time off work, the amp, computer, everything dude, enjoy it all you can, while you can....

On the IR thing, yeah, you'll need a few IR's, there are tons of them on the 'net for free, I don't use 'em much anymore, but from what I've read, Ownhammer IR's are pretty good....You'll need an IR loader too, but there's on on the LePou site, look for LeCab2, IIRC, you can load like 8 cabs at a time, blend 'em etc...Lemme know if you need any help dude...

Oh yeah, like I mentioned, there are tons of IR's on the 'net, there are also some you buy, I have a shit-ton of Recabinet IR's I've bought over the years, you might wanna look at those, they're not really expensive (or weren't)...Have fun dude!!!

Cool on the time off work, the amp, computer, everything dude, enjoy it all you can, while you can....

On the IR thing, yeah, you'll need a few IR's, there are tons of them on the 'net for free, I don't use 'em much anymore, but from what I've read, Ownhammer IR's are pretty good....You'll need an IR loader too, but there's on on the LePou site, look for LeCab2, IIRC, you can load like 8 cabs at a time, blend 'em etc...Lemme know if you need any help dude...

Oh yeah, like I mentioned, there are tons of IR's on the 'net, there are also some you buy, I have a shit-ton of Recabinet IR's I've bought over the years, you might wanna look at those, they're not really expensive (or weren't)...Have fun dude!!!

I will definitely need help. All the amp sims i have ever used have been outboard. I know where to find you to enlist your help!!

You mentioned an OR15 earlier. Do you have any sort of big chain stores near you that do a rental program? If you got your cabs and stuff set up already could you rent an amp for a weekend just to take the edge off? I think to rent an Rockerverb here from Long and McQuade for a week is like 20 or 30 some odd dollars?

How's the jamming going? You going to meet up with those dudes again?

Just lemme know about the IR's, ampsims dude, be glad to help....

On the rental thing, no, I live out in the boonies (to put it mildly), & there's nowhere around like that at all for me dude, so pretty much everything I get (unless I trade/buy from an individual locally, which is usually never), is a blind buy, everything I have has been bought this way, & so far, the only real disappointment has been the Randall ISO cab...Fuck man, I live so far off from everything, the closest Guitar Center is about 3 hour drive, one way...lol...

We've all been keeping in touch, were supposed to play/jam a little over the weekend, but the drummer was under the weather, so we just called it off...No biggie really, & I don't blame him either, the last thing I'd wanna do when I was sick is have my head pounded with loud-ass music...We're supposed to all get together Friday & play some more, then all sit down & decide if we're gonna try to get any gigs or whatever...

Either/or/both are ok with me, I'm still out of work, but will have to get my ass back into the swing before too long, which brings up a pretty big decision for me, the mining jobs have all but dried up, so I'm actually probably gonna have to find something else to do for a living, which sucks in a way, because I won't be making near the $$$ I did, but, on the up side, I'll probably have a day shift job, & won't have to work nearly as hard as before...We'll see before too long I suppose...

yayyyy!

an $8200 tax bill! Wheeeee ......
Has to do with healthcare subsidies and it's legitimate so I'm ok with it but still, gotta cough up 8 grand ...... that's a lot of Mosrites guys!

:laughings:

yayyyy!

an $8200 tax bill! Wheeeee ......
Has to do with healthcare subsidies and it's legitimate so I'm ok with it but still, gotta cough up 8 grand ...... that's a lot of Mosrites guys!

Gross. Although i applaud your positive vibes. If it were me i'd be cursing and swearing with a lot of debris in my wake from all the useless things i smashed on the floor.

Gross. Although i applaud your positive vibes. If it were me i'd be cursing and swearing with a lot of debris in my wake from all the useless things i smashed on the floor.
I was gonna say that when I was younger I might have too but nowadays it seems like older people get even angrier than young people.
So it may not be because of age but for some reason I no longer waste energy getting mad about things I can't change.

And the bill is legitimate even though we're really pretty poor .... but what happened was wifeys' new job did better last year but, more importantly, we took a LOT of money out of 401 just to pay our bills ..... but that counts as income even though you didn't really want to take it out but had to .... and it was enough to put our income up where we didn't qualify for healthcare subsidies we had for the first 6 months of last year until wifeys' new job started providing healthcare.
So we have to pay them back and that alone is 6 grand ..... plus we owed taxes on the 401 money we took out too .... so the total bill is around $8,200.

It's a RECORD!!!!!

Dude that IS a record to my knowledge. And it also sucks. But you are right can't exhaust energy getting mad at stuff you can't change. I made that realization a few years ago. But that bill would be enough to to get my blood boiling.

I assume a 401 is like the Canadian RRSP. those programs kind of get ya coming and going. Do you have some lame clause like you have to pay it back into the 401 in the next 'X' amount of time? Hope not.

yeah ..... it's a retirement plan .....
I don't know anything about your RRSP but I imagine it's similar.

No ..... we don't have to repay it ..... we can take any amount at any time ..... but it's a 'tax-deferred' plan so when you take any money out it's considered taxable income since you never paid taxes on it before putting it in the 401k.
It's fairly straightforward although people often don't bother to understand their plans ..... but I always make sure to know exactly how things I pay money into work.

And we have an awesome financial-adviser ..... she's a friend that typically we couldn't afford because our IRA isn't big enough but she, her husband, me and my wife are buddies so she takes care of us.
She's gonna create a capital gains loss so some of this will be offset next year.

As for being upset ....... meh, I'm alive, I play music for a living and wifey gives me sex if I beg hard enough so life is good!!
:D

Bob, that sucks a big 'ol dick man, I mean really...I'll be ok this year, as I didn't lose my job until Jan 28, & my insurance is still in effect for now, but next year, if I don't have any insurance (and I really, really hope I do...just my meds alone without insurance would be right at $600/month...got 'em today & it cost me $28 out of my pocket....the cost of medicine is fuckin' insane dude...) I'll be in the same boat....

My wife is diabetic. I know how expensive that crap is. It is 75% of the reason i wanted to come to Alberta in the first place. Find jobs with good Medical benefit plans to absorb some of that cost. So far so good. I couldn't imagine going back to having to pay for all that up front again :(

Sorry to hear about your pharmaceutical woes guys. I think we are all in the same boat.

Believe it or not ...... I don't take any meds at all other than some eye drops for glaucoma. Otherwise nothing at all ...... I'm 63 ...... don't even wear glasses though my hearing is so-so.

But miner, I don't think you'll be in the same boat man ..... our situation is just an exceptional conglomeration of events.
I'm gonna say that if you don't have insurance and are still unemployed go to the exchange and get subsidies.

For you ..... as long as you make less than around 45k you qualify for subsidies. May as well get them ...... you're an American ..... you've worked hard ..... you're entitled to them.

At our age insurance for both of us with a private company would run around 1500 a month and as long as our income was down the gov't paid 948 of that each month.
We were delighted to get that but if we couldn't have we'd still have had to have insurance but we didn't have 1500 a month at that time.

Unfortunately with our 401k withdrawals and increased income we went too high to qualify and so, must repay the subsidies.
But I'm mostly thinking of it as a no-interest loan to pay for our insurance last year.

Next year, if you are still in trouble financially just PM me ...... I know about this shit ...... I told my wife before we even did taxes we were gonna have to pay some, or all of it back. ...... if you're taking 600 bucks of meds a month you simply have to have insurance.
I know you're starting new job shopping so it may all be moot.

But seriously, if it turns out you need to go thru the exchange because of poverty just contact me and I'll help you thru it.

Back