The New Tone Thread

Speaking of tone.... I just ordered this baby a few minutes ago. I played one already and can assure you that it definitely has some sweet tones! Can't wait for next week! LOL!:guitar:
intro_right2_450.jpg

I've had the same amp/cab setup for about 4-5 years now...it's a beautiful amp. It has a lot of great tones.

Two things I didn't like about it that I modified....both are personal taste things, so to each his own. :)

1.)The short spring reverb that comes with it was/is just too hard/bold and in-your-face with just a slight turn of the nob. I could not find a "subtle" setting. So, I found a long spring vintage/original Accutronics tank that I think came out of an older Carvin amp, and that had different impedance values than the stock tank in the Swart (I'm not in front of the amp at the moment to give you the exact tank model numbers....and it sounds much better than the stock unit. It isn't as hard/bold. Also, because it was a long reverb tank, it could not be mounted back inside the head cavity, so I got a really nice padded reverb tank bag that I hung off the bottom wood panel of the 212 cab. I screwed it to the inside, then flipped it out and over...so it hangs on the outside of the back panel of the 212...with a couple of longer RCA cables, and it worked out really well and sounds much better.
I left the stock tank still mounted inside the head.

2.) I didn't care for was the pair of Celestion Greenbacks it came with...so I took one out and replaced it with a WGS Reaper....and the combination was sonically more diverse than with the two Greenbacks....but that's also personal choice thing.
Not sure if they still come with a pair of Greenbacks

Otherwise I love the amp and it gets the most use out of my amp stable. Try the Lo Input, but with the switch set to High. :cool:

Oh...there's one more thing I wasn't crazy about. The Tremolo is beautiful...but it doesn't go REAL slow, like I can get with my Savage Macht 12X (the tremolo on it is to die for). So I talked to Swart and he has a mod that requires you to simply replace the Trem pot and I think one resistor. It was actually easy to do...so I went for it.
Only thing...it didn't slow up the Trem like the mod claims it would, and when I talked to Michael Swart about it, he admitted that the mod was meant for one of the other Swart models which has a slightly different Trem circuit, but he thought it would work the same on the SST.
While it didn't slow down the Trem more....it actually changes it in a good way, IMO...because you can do some other Trem flavors depending on how you manipulate the speed and depth knobs, that the stock Trem setup can't do....so I was not totally disappointed that I did the mod. It was only like $15 for the parts from Swart and about 30 minutes of some basic soldering.

Get read to enjoy some serious play time with the SST!!! :thumbs up:

Yup, delay in the fx loop. I'm sorry to say I don't have a favorite setting for the delay. I barely even use it. I play around with it, but I never actually use it. It does some amazing things though, and it's a looper if you wanna use it like that. As little as I use it, it's pretty much always on "tape" or "analog" settings. Usually just a quick faint repeat and that's it. I don't like a bunch liquid long wank delay. I'm not Steve Vai. I like women. :D

Sometimes for surfy stuff I'll switch it to slapback. On the slapback setting, you can get some cool ass rockabilly type delay and it'll do a nice spring reverb kind of sound.

That's about what I figured dude, you pretty much "set it & forget it"....but, you've never really used that thing for any of your recordings at all??? Just wondering man...

And while I'm at it, if you ever use any of this stuff in your recordings (I'm assuming you'd add 'em in the daw), what are some of your favorite plug-ins to do so??? I know you're a raw, dry guitar sound kind of guy, but just wondering...

I like Amplitube 3 & Guitar Rig 5's effects for guitars, of course I don't use 'em a lot, but when I want something a little different these seem to work pretty good, & sound pretty convincing IMO...

Xplosive: Nice looking amp dude, post us some clips/pics when you get it!!!

That's about what I figured dude, you pretty much "set it & forget it"....but, you've never really used that thing for any of your recordings at all??? Just wondering man...
On the very rare occasion I record with the delay, which would only be on a lead, I set the delay at the amp and just live with the results. I usually set the repeat to match the tempo or I might even tap-tempo it sometimes. But I really rarely ever use it.

And while I'm at it, if you ever use any of this stuff in your recordings (I'm assuming you'd add 'em in the daw), what are some of your favorite plug-ins to do so??? I know you're a raw, dry guitar sound kind of guy, but just wondering...

I like Amplitube 3 & Guitar Rig 5's effects for guitars, of course I don't use 'em a lot, but when I want something a little different these seem to work pretty good, & sound pretty convincing IMO...

I don't add stuff in the DAW anymore. If I'm using a guitar effect, I record it as it happens the way it happens. Flanger, phaser, delay, wah, whatever. That's why I have the pedals. The only effects I'll ever want to use or have ever used are sitting on my pedalboard. I don't want to do anything in the mix that I don't have to do. The only thing I'll ever add in the DAW is a reverb, and that's pretty much a never on guitar tracks.

On the very rare occasion I record with the delay, which would only be on a lead, I set the delay at the amp and just live with the results. I usually set the repeat to match the tempo or I might even tap-tempo it sometimes. But I really rarely ever use it.
Yeah, I figured you'd only use it on leads, & very rarely...

From the vids I've watched about that pedal, it's pretty damn cool though, lots of different delay types, & you can even do the TonePrint thing, which is kinda cool, if you're into that...

I don't add stuff in the DAW anymore. If I'm using a guitar effect, I record it as it happens the way it happens. Flanger, phaser, delay, wah, whatever. That's why I have the pedals. The only effects I'll ever want to use or have ever used are sitting on my pedalboard. I don't want to do anything in the mix that I don't have to do. The only thing I'll ever add in the DAW is a reverb, and that's pretty much a never on guitar tracks.
Again, that's pretty much what I thought...

Do you ever use any compression on your guitars??? I know dirty guitars are already compressed to begin with, but do you ever use a little compression on your guitar bus??? Again, just wondering dude, you get great sounds, & I know about 99.999% of it is to get it right at the source, just trying to find out what different people do to their tracks, if anything at all other than guitar > amp > cab > mic....

I had another go with the Tiny Terror, this time in a different room with a different setup.

Tone is at about 2 o'clock and the gain at 1 with the volume around 12.

Some 400 pound guitar with humbuckers on the neck pickup -> Neve 8801 -> TT with 1x12 Orange cab -> Electrovoice RE 20

The room was a bit reverby and I gobo'd the cab pretty hard to try and contain it.

Yeah, I figured you'd only use it on leads, & very rarely...

From the vids I've watched about that pedal, it's pretty damn cool though, lots of different delay types, & you can even do the TonePrint thing, which is kinda cool, if you're into that...
I tried the toneprint one time and couldn't figure it out. I don't know what it's supposed to do, but I don't care about anyone else's delay settings anyway. The last thing I want to do is sound like some shred dork. :laughings:

Do you ever use any compression on your guitars??? I know dirty guitars are already compressed to begin with, but do you ever use a little compression on your guitar bus??? Again, just wondering dude, you get great sounds, & I know about 99.999% of it is to get it right at the source, just trying to find out what different people do to their tracks, if anything at all other than guitar > amp > cab > mic....
I can say with 100% certainty that I NEVER compress guitar tracks. Ever. Never ever. Man, honestly, I don't even EQ my guitar tracks 95% of the time. But I know my caveman guitar style isn't for everyone. You do what you gotta do. I've never heard any benefit from compressing overdriven guitar tracks though.

that sounds better to me than the earlier TT track ...... I might would go even a bit higher on the tone control .... but that's muy better.

I didn't want to turn it into an EL34 amp...I have a couple of those already, and I love it stock. I guess I felt that the designer intended it to be a 6V6 amp...so the EL34 switch is more of a "because you can" rather than what it was meant to be.

Don't get me wrong...I thought about it, but like I said, it's so good with the 6V6 tubes that I just didn't want it to sound different. :)

It has more tonal variety than a lot of amps out there...it's not one of those that has 1-2 sweet spots and then you never touch them.
I've used the Volume and the Master from 1-11 and everything in between, in all kinds of combinations...and then add the Hi/Lo inputs and the Hi/Lo switch...everything just sounds really good...but I love the Lo input with switch on Hi, set the Master on about 9, and then dial in the Volume to taste...that is some badass tone.

I didn't want to turn it into an EL34 amp...I have a couple of those already, and I love it stock. I guess I felt that the designer intended it to be a 6V6 amp...so the EL34 switch is more of a "because you can" rather than what it was meant to be.

Don't get me wrong...I thought about it, but like I said, it's so good with the 6V6 tubes that I just didn't want it to sound different. :)

It has more tonal variety than a lot of amps out there...it's not one of those that has 1-2 sweet spots and then you never touch them.
I've used the Volume and the Master from 1-11 and everything in between, in all kinds of combinations...and then add the Hi/Lo inputs and the Hi/Lo switch...everything just sounds really good...but I love the Lo input with switch on Hi, set the Master on about 9, and then dial in the Volume to taste...that is some badass tone.
Thanks for the info. I feel about the same way. I was just wondering. Are you using any pedals with yours?

I've used a pedal on a couple occasions...I think both times it was the Catalinbread RAH....but it was just the "pedal of the month" for me, so it's not like that is the only one that would sound good. I just picked up the Bogner/Neve Wessex...DAMN!...what a sweet pedal, especially if you have a bright/edgy amp tone to begin with...the Wessex adds a nice dose of maple syrup to the tone. :D

See....now I may try out EL34's just 'cuz you brought it up! :p
I was kinda resolved to leave it alone...but I may be bored one of these days and try it out.

Here are some clips of the SST with the stock 6V6 tube sound...and also with EL34 tubes, both done by the same guy.

Greg V: Swart Super Space Tone 30 Samples

Swart Super Space Tone 30 with EL-34 - Greg V MP3s

I think with the EL34s it seems a bit too thick for my taste, and I generally like dark/thick tones. I think it loses the definition that it has with the 6V6 tubes...and again, Swart designed it for 6V6 tubes. The EL34 tubes just happen to work 'cuz the tranny's in the SST can take it....but that wasn't his design intent.
Of course....everyone's tastes are different, so you might like it with EL34s.

Also...I play humbuckers for the most part...and the clips I auditioned are the LP and SG clips...so with single coils, it could work better with the thicker EL34 tones...YMMV... ;)

I tried the toneprint one time and couldn't figure it out. I don't know what it's supposed to do, but I don't care about anyone else's delay settings anyway. The last thing I want to do is sound like some shred dork. :laughings:
:) Am I right thinking you can use that like a pc/computer editor to save your own presets though??? That might be pretty cool to be able to do, like have your own slapback on one setting, then a doubler (just for example) that you made yourself??? The pedal looks & sounds great in the demos I've heard of it....It's pretty cheap too (which actually shocked the piss out of me) compared to other delay pedals with about the same options/features...

I can say with 100% certainty that I NEVER compress guitar tracks. Ever. Never ever. Man, honestly, I don't even EQ my guitar tracks 95% of the time. But I know my caveman guitar style isn't for everyone. You do what you gotta do. I've never heard any benefit from compressing overdriven guitar tracks though.

I was just wondering dude, I've watched vids where some guys put a little compression on their guitar bus to help smooth them out a little, & some use a certain type of compressor for vibe/character too...I know a lot of the metal guys (the kind of music that you absolutely love...:laughings:) use a multi-band comp to keep their palm mutes from being woofy sounding, but again, this would go back to the source....

Schwarz: I liked the other TT clip better man myself, IMO it needs some clarity....Might be the room/reverb sound too, I'd turn the tone knob up on that amp myself dude...

:) Am I right thinking you can use that like a pc/computer editor to save your own presets though??? That might be pretty cool to be able to do, like have your own slapback on one setting, then a doubler (just for example) that you made yourself???
I don't know about any of that. Saving presets, toneprints, that's way above my pay grade. I don't even use the thing enough to need presets. But the Flashback is generally very highly regarded, so if you got one I'm sure you'd love it.

I was just wondering dude, I've watched vids where some guys put a little compression on their guitar bus to help smooth them out a little, & some use a certain type of compressor for vibe/character too...I know a lot of the metal guys (the kind of music that you absolutely love...:laughings:) use a multi-band comp to keep their palm mutes from being woofy sounding, but again, this would go back to the source....
Yeah, all those people are probably retarded. I've read about some of the really silly things that metal dorks do. I'm glad my natural instinct is the complete opposite. :laughings:

I don't know about any of that. Saving presets, toneprints, that's way above my pay grade. I don't even use the thing enough to need presets. But the Flashback is generally very highly regarded, so if you got one I'm sure you'd love it.
I've had a few delays over the years the one I liked the most was an Alesis Nanoverb. It was a little 1/2 rack space thing, but it sounded great in the loop of my amp (this is when I was in a band)...I didn't use it much for delays/echo, mostly some nice sounding reverbs...Gonna have to look into that pedal some more...

Yeah, all those people are probably retarded. I've read about some of the really silly things that metal dorks do. I'm glad my natural instinct is the complete opposite. :laughings:
You kill me dude...lol...

Is that a volume pedal or a wah?

On my board? That's a Dunlop Crybaby 535Q. That's one effect I'll use more often as I get more leads with this new band. Very few punk guitar players have anything to do with a wah. I think they're great. They can make simple nothing solos sound like you're really doing something. :laughings:

OK dudes.... first tentative steps of mine to recording heavier guitar tones... last act was acoustic with the occasional electric appearance but I'm working on solo stuff now and have put the acoustics back in the cupboard. I'm OK with the clean to mild break up tones I'm getting from my various electric guitars/amp combos, but I've never tried recording tones this "hard rock"...

Used a Les Paul, two tracks panned about 50% L&R, real bass and stock drum patterns from SSD4. Thought it better to give it full band context than just post single guitar tracks, because I have not clue one about whether they sound good or not.

So, how did I do?

Clip1

Be gentle with me... :D

Mr Smith goes RAWK. Well, I never!
I thought you were the man of the acoustic electric blend al la Jong's.
New tones, I like 'em but you'll get better crits from Greg, Lt Bob & the Miner in terms of tweaking.
I had though maybe needed a little more top end but I can't really offer anything with my ears.
How are you vocals going now you'll rely more on yourself?

Back