The New Tone Thread

What are the two gains? Pre and power?

Both the gain knobs are part of the pre-amp....Both the gain knobs work together, but Gain 1 is the "overall" gain control....It's got a crazy amount of gain, & each one of the switches does a little something different to the sound...With all the switches centered, it's basically a Super Lead with one input...

Me & the Gerg did a little shoot-out a couple/few months ago, & they do sound a lot alike when my amp is in "plexi" mode (with the Era, Bright 2 & Bright 1 switches centered...), but it's got way more gain than a stock Super Lead, which is a big reason I bought it to begin with...

Here's a little low-ish volume tone I recorded today with the Chupacabra....As usual, nothing special, just getting a feel of the amp & different speakers...again....lol...

LP > Chupa > '65 > '57

Resonance: 0
Presence: 0
Bass: 6
Middle: 4
Treble: 4
Master: 7
Gain 2: 1
Gain 1: 5
Era: 80's
Bright 2: L
Bright 1: C
Focus: Off

Chupa > '65

Sounds real good to me. I'd like a little more mids, but that sounds real nice.

Thanks dude, I'm trying that tone out in a mix right now, seems to be ok so far....:)

There's a pretty big difference between the Chupa's & DSL's mids too, the Chupa is actually kinda "throaty" sounding compared to the DSL...

That clip wasn't really recorded that loud (by the usual standards....), but had enough "oomph" to get a little air moving...I take back what I said about which amp I use more for just fucking around at low volume, the Chupa with it's era switch wins this one, but I have to keep my gain knobs pretty low or it gets so fuzzy/un-defined it just becomes a mess....

I know it's probably just me being cliche, but I think the amp that Paul Kossoff owned/played through sounds the best to me out of all of 'em....There are a few guys in the different forums that are saying the hand-wired re-issue doesn't sound as good, & maybe it doesn't (I personally can't tell much difference, but I only watched this once, & didn't really listen to the little differences, just heard the obvious ones), but I think they all sound pretty damn good...

I can hear my Chupa does have that core tone to it too, instantly recognized now that I've had time to get used to my amp....tickled to fucking death my clone has "that" sound, that's something I've wanted for years...

They used attenuators for all the clips too, IIRC, the 100w used a -12 db setting, & the 50w used a -8....pussies...:laughings:

They're just being cork sniffers. I GUARANTEE that in a blind test none of those fucking tools would be able to tell anything about anything.

Speaking of fucking tools, guess who this fucking tool is.

Just judging by the guitar, I would have said Slash.

And christ-y holy sloths in midgard, those Marshall tones were great.

@minerman: great tone, I might have added a bit of top end.

They're just being cork sniffers. I GUARANTEE that in a blind test none of those fucking tools would be able to tell anything about anything.
Yeah dude, I know.....Myself, I can hear differences in each amp (not good or bad, just a little different), but I bet they don't have the tone knobs/gain set exactly the same either, plus, I'm sure each amp has it's own unique sound too, being the old Marshalls....I remember you talking about the old Marshalls being different from one amp to the next, can't remember why (different components???) though...The new ones (like my DSL) probably sound pretty much identical due to being mass-produced....I guess...:)

Speaking of fucking tools, guess who this fucking tool is.

I dunno man, looks like your guitar, & the backline sorta looks like the cabs are bigger than 4x12's (could be the pic too, but the reason I mention this is you use those 8x10 cabs, right???), so, is that you??? I have no idea......do tell.....;)

@minerman: great tone, I might have added a bit of top end.

Thanks man, I could've added lots of top end, but I honestly try to keep from doing that though, I try to keep the guitars sounding thick/meaty...

I thought it was you man, but wasn't 100% sure....Didn't know you had such big fuckin' guns there dude....muscle-bound punk rocker....Cool pics man!!!!!

Just heard a buddy of mine I worked with for a couple years just passed today, he was in a head-on-collision Sunday morning, but I honestly thought that he'd pull through...Pretty sad too, he was only about 26 or so, with a couple young kids....He was a really good guy too, life sucks....:(

I'd lost my pop-filter somewhere amongst all the shit I've got in the music room (I hadn't needed it since I moved), & I'd been looking for that motherfucker for a week, been doing some scratch vocals/working on these songs ya know....I finally found it after making one out of a coat hanger, & some more shit I had lying around (it actually doesn't look too bad considering, plus, it was basically free....well, almost, I had to, uhh, borrow some pantyhose off the girlfriend.:D ( had her to bring a couple pair of 'em over)...and yes the stockings I used were clean...lol)...

Anyway, what I'm getting at is I found a copy of Cubase 5LE (that I got when I bought something, can't remember what...I think it was my midi keyboard...) on a disc...So, I got curios, as I used LE4 a few years ago & it was ok (that was my first pc based daw, I got that disc with a Zoom HD8 recorder....I've still got that disc too), so, I figure I'd give it a shot, it's supposed to be a "professional" daw, right??? So, the install went fine, didn't take really long, blah, blah, blah...

So, I open a new project, of course, I'm starting everything from scratch (I'm bored out of my fuckin' mind being off work here guys....I know I bitched about my job, but honestly it kept me sane), although I do have some presets I've got saved with various plugs I've used for a pretty good while...

Holy fuck, what a ass-backwards fuckin' mess that daw is...Completely fuckin' confusing program!!!! I finally got my Superior Drummer/Slate Drums template saved, but it seems like it took me fucking forever to figure out how to record a di & amp'd track at the same time....Holy fuck!!!!!!

Needless to say, I'm probably gonna stick with Reaper, as it's so simple & easy to work with....Just to make myself feel better, I changed my theme to one that looks like Cubase....:laughings:.

Holy fuck I'm going stir-crazy fuckin' bonkers being home all the time....:)

Good snap Cpt. Rock!
Tone? here's an old man who doesn't mind a) playing his old hits with his original band & b) single coil buzzzz.

alritey ...... getting my pedals sorted out for my upcoming new board.
1st clip is my POG 2 and I use it mainly live ..... most of the bands I play with are trios so that leaves the git having to fill everything and on slow songs especially, it can get empty and boring.
So I set the POG so it just swells up in the background or I can bring it up in the mix. But it doesn't come in right away so it doesn't interfere with the guitar sounding like a guitar.
For anything other than held notes it doesn't come in at all .... it only swells up on notes you hold for a a little bit.
I can have it come in quicker of course and do when I want it to be more organ like.
I do both here.

The other clip is me learning to make the backwards delay on a Digitech Hardwire delay sound somewhat authentic as a backwards part being played live. I think it sounds pretty decent.

Attachments

• backwards.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • POG2.mp3
    4.5 MB · Views: 9
I thought it was you man, but wasn't 100% sure....Didn't know you had such big fuckin' guns there dude....muscle-bound punk rocker....Cool pics man!!!!!
Lol. Thanks. I'm strong like bull. If nothing else it makes throwing cabs around pretty easy and people are much friendlier to your face. We "won" the "contest" at that gig, meaning we were either the best band or had the most people show up. I'm not sure which it was. Some worker-bees from Sugarhill Recording Studio were there and they chose us to win the free studio time, so I guess I'll be recording there pretty soon. They seemed pretty eager to get us in there, for free, but there has to be some kind of catch. I was kind of dick about it because I trust no one to just give away professional studio time without something in it for themselves. They record Beyonce. :laughings:

Just heard a buddy of mine I worked with for a couple years just passed today, he was in a head-on-collision Sunday morning, but I honestly thought that he'd pull through...Pretty sad too, he was only about 26 or so, with a couple young kids....He was a really good guy too, life sucks....:(
Damn that sucks hard. Sorry to hear that dude.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is I found a copy of Cubase 5LE

Needless to say, I'm probably gonna stick with Reaper, as it's so simple & easy to work with....Just to make myself feel better, I changed my theme to one that looks like Cubase....:laughings:.
I hate cubase, but really they're all the same thing. Some layouts and workflows work better for different people. I switched to Reaper from cubase and haven't looked back for about 10 years now.
Holy Captain Pedals!!!
:D
Lol. I know! Look at all those gay ass pedals. I've made an effort to use them now, although barely. I've got it all rigged up now so I've got whatever I want depending on the guitar or amp I'm using. And it at least looks "professional". That matters to people for some reason. Most guys have a piece of 2x4 with some pedals duct taped to it.

Good snap Cpt. Rock!
Tone? here's an old man who doesn't mind a) playing his old hits with his original band & b) single coil buzzzz.
That was awesome. Love it.

alritey ...... getting my pedals sorted out for my upcoming new board.
1st clip is my POG 2 and I use it mainly live ..... most of the bands I play with are trios so that leaves the git having to fill everything and on slow songs especially, it can get empty and boring.
So I set the POG so it just swells up in the background or I can bring it up in the mix. But it doesn't come in right away so it doesn't interfere with the guitar sounding like a guitar.
For anything other than held notes it doesn't come in at all .... it only swells up on notes you hold for a a little bit.
I can have it come in quicker of course and do when I want it to be more organ like.
I do both here.

The other clip is me learning to make the backwards delay on a Digitech Hardwire delay sound somewhat authentic as a backwards part being played live. I think it sounds pretty decent.

That shit is bad ass. That Pog really does sound like an organ playing along with you. Very cool!

Here's a little low-ish volume tone I recorded today with the Chupacabra....As usual, nothing special, just getting a feel of the amp & different speakers...again....lol...

LP > Chupa > '65 > '57

Resonance: 0
Presence: 0
Bass: 6
Middle: 4
Treble: 4
Master: 7
Gain 2: 1
Gain 1: 5
Era: 80's
Bright 2: L
Bright 1: C
Focus: Off

Chupa > '65

I think this is my favorite tone that you've got from this amp. I still like your DSL sounds better overall. But I really liked this one.

sorry for your loss man ........ sometimes life is pretty sucky. :(

Back