The New Tone Thread

They actually came back last year with a new release .
Itm sure there are gonna be people that shit talk them here, but they're a good band and got some great guitar tones recorded.
I like em. Fuck everyone else. :D

I hadn't heard anything from 'em in years, but I wasn't paying attention either...We used to play a few of their songs in the last band I was in, years ago...I still like a few of their songs, & actually listened to 'em on YT just now...

Another band from that time I really like is Brother Cane, similar style, with some killer guitar playing/tones IMO...

I don't know any of their songs but I know them by name and I think they're from Atlanta? If so, I hate them.

Yeah, they started out in some other town/city in Georgia, but moved to Atlanta after they "made it"...I wouldn't have known this but read it in their description on YT...

I still like some of their stuff...:)

How you explain not liking blues? A lot of it down there

I don't like traditional blues. New Orleans had it's own style of music though. "NOLA" music. It was a little jazzy, a little bluesy, a little zydeco, a little everything. The rhythm and blues of N.O. and early rock and roll has had a profound impact on me, though one might not guess it from my own shit music. Much of my drumming and especially bass playing style has been lifted straight from Fats Domino and Neville Bros records. I've just sped it up a bunch. So no, traditional blues and cheesy blues rock like SRV and ZZ Top does nothing for me. But NOLA music and Stax southern soul stuff I like a lot.

Lol. Holy crap. I just youtubed some Collective Soul and the related videos sidebar is a hilarious time machine back to 1994. Awesome. :D

Here's one for JDOD, he really likes that time period.

I don't like traditional blues. New Orleans had it's own style of music though. "NOLA" music. It was a little jazzy, a little bluesy, a little zydeco, a little everything. The rhythm and blues of N.O. and early rock and roll has had a profound impact on me, though one might not guess it from my own shit music. Much of my drumming and especially bass playing style has been lifted straight from Fats Domino and Neville Bros records. I've just sped it up a bunch. So no, traditional blues and cheesy blues rock like SRV and ZZ Top does nothing for me. But NOLA music and Stax southern soul stuff I like a lot.

Yes, New Orleans invented it's own style of music. Kind of like a musical stew with a bit of voodoo mixed in.

Like their music or not Billy and SrV are good. Exceptionally so.
I've met both in person, (not fan boy meet and greet) and they are /were very cool down to earth people. And great players.

Yes, New Orleans invented it's own style of music. Kind of like a musical stew with a bit of voodoo mixed in.

Like their music or not Billy and SrV are good. Exceptionally so.
I've met both in person, (not fan boy meet and greet) and they are /were very cool down to earth people. And great players.

I can easily tell that SRV was a badass on the geetar. I don't like that kind of music, but I can manage to tolerate it just to hear him play. I think the dude was amazing. Billy Gibbons is a complete mystery to me. I don't understand why he's so respected besides just being one of the famous bearded guys from ZZ Top and he has cool gear. There's nothing in their music that catches my attention. I come from the mindset that I couldn't care less how technically good a player is if he makes music that I like. On the flip side, I think exceptional talent is often wasted making shit music. Most of the stuff I like comes from bands that aren't very technically gifted at all, but I like the songs and that's all that matters. I won't usually listen to something just because it has a good guitar player or drummer in it.

I often wondered the same thing about ya Greg, being from the south, I figured you'd love bluesy music...I can hear some of those influences in your songs/playing now that you mention it, but I never would've figured it out on my own...

I got heavily into blues-based stuff as a teenager when I started gigging...It was something I could pull off fairly well, & we could play that kind of stuff for the most part (you gotta remember where I live, bands had to play a certain mix/amount of country shit, or, you didn't get any gigs), so it stuck...

I know this is gonna sound stupid, but the movie "Crossroads" (the 80's movie with the Karate Kid, not the Britney Spears bullshit) got me into the blues stuff even more, & that's when I discovered slide, which took me to different places I probably wouldn't have went otherwise...

The bass player in our band at that time kept me busy with stuff he'd dig up for me too, 10 Years After, Grand Funk, all kinds of stuff I probably wouldn't have even gave a moment's notice otherwise...It was cool the way he'd introduce stuff to me, we practiced at his place, & it was like a party every time I was there, after practice we'd get smoked up while listening to all that stuff...:D

I can dig that you like what you like and not like other stuff.
But then again, you're like the Archie Bunker of music. :D

Me i think Stevie was a great player, but im not fond of most of the tunes .

ZZ on the other hand is a great band with great players and for the most part great songs. (80s had some not so great ones)

With ZZ, if you took any player away, they wouldn't be the same.

JDOD...
I like your guitar sound on this latest clip. It's a really clean recording too man. Nice! Also I love the pick slides as well.
Great work!

I can dig that you like what you like and not like other stuff.
But then again, you're like the Archie Bunker of music. :D
Lol. That's not true. I like tons of music. I just don't talk about it much because not many people (in here) know the stuff and no one cares anyway. I'd just be talking to myself, so I just keep it to myself.

With ZZ, if you took any player away, they wouldn't be the same.
Really? I don't hear them that way. Yeah Billy Gibbons is the voice and guitar sound of ZZ Top, but those other two are just there. They don't do anything special. Frank Beard is pretty basic and I think any competent drummer could grow a mustache and fit right in that band.

greg...
I finally got a chance to listen to your clips with the room mic ezperiments. I actually liked.all of them...even the close mic by itself. But I guess my favorite was the "all equal" clip.

greg...
I finally got a chance to listen to your clips with the room mic ezperiments. I actually liked.all of them...even the close mic by itself. But I guess my favorite was the "all equal" clip.

Cool thanks jimi. I pretty much like them too, but for me the effort was not worth the result.

They did dound pretty good.

I've done a similar but a little different recording.

Cab in a long hallway on one end, at the other end a condenser. (My mics of choice, AKG 414 and 57)

Doors on both ends of the hallway is good.

Pictures with glass can help to bounce the sound around a bit.

like many bands .... ZZ Top's best stuff was the early stuff.

Just Like Steve Miller ..... his early stuff was awesome .... after the Joker .. not so much.

Jeez, busy day in the tone thread!

Well, I finally got around to recording a my little Peavey Bravo tube amp.

Hey Jimi, that clean tone is really good, especially when you dig into it and add a little drive. And even more when you add more drive. It definitely likes that Strat a lot.

The LP sounds a little distant, like there's some comb filtering going on. It's definitely fizzy too. It's got a good attack to it, even a little lo-mid chunk that's nice sounding. But those mids are weird sounding, and the grit/fizz on the top end are kind of a deal breaker.

Afternoon guys, been meaning to start rerecording this for ages, one of the heavier songs I've done but I don't want it to be too gainy. Started re-tracking it this afternoon.

I actually like those tones. I wouldn't go as far as calling them boxy, but they don't sound as "big" as your other recent tones. It could work for this song, but maybe a little less saturation wouldn't hurt. Cool song though!

I had a little idea the other day and ran with it and decided to record it. The first part I had just came up with then the rest I did on the fly, nothing special but you get the idea. Im running my guitar into an a/b/y pedal and one side is running into a cheap delay/looper pedal then into an Orange Dual Terror on the Tuny Terror Channel running a Marshall 1x12 cab. The other side of that a/b/y is going to my Blackstar ht20 and Orange 1x12 with a HoF reverb in the loop. The Orange cab is miked with a es-57 and the Marshall cab with an e609. Then just did a very quick mix, I had very little time to play, maybe did this all in 40 between coming up with it, playing/recording it, mixing it then syncing my phone video to the audio. The first thing you hear is the Dual Terror then I play over that with the Blackstar's clean and dirty channel.

Nice looking gold-top man. I think that the idea is worth developing. As far as tone, I like how the right-hand guitar sounds, it works well with the arpeggio riff. But I think that the solo bit is too thin and weak sounding. It almost sounds like a direct-inject. Now when the drive part comes in, I think it sounds great. Tight sound. Maybe a little too mid-scooped though, it has trouble competing with the right-heavy mix.

Lol. Holy crap. I just youtubed some Collective Soul and the related videos sidebar is a hilarious time machine back to 1994. Awesome. :D

Here's one for JDOD, he really likes that time period.

Collective Soul was a favorite of our local radio station when I was in high school, so I'm so freaking burned out on every one of their songs...I've heard them enough to last me a lifetime. That was back when everybody had to sing like Eddie Vedder in order to get a record deal. Awwrrr hawrrr yurh.

Oh, 4 Non Blondes. I remember that song. That acoustic tone. Blending in a DI? Ugh. That's bush-league. Jeez, even the girl singers sang like Eddie Vedder in the 90s.

This stuff blows my mind way more than any blues wanking or gain shredding.

This whole clip is awesome to me, but watch Nokie at 7:55. No hiding behind gain and effects here.

Back