New Speakers: what ohm, and how does wattage effect?

MatchBookNotes

allo, My old traynor has a mystery speaker in it, and it doesn't say the ohm or anything, so what ohm would a 25/30 watt amp use? and yeah, the wattage as long as its on par and higher whats the deal?
thanks!

If the amp is not a tube amp, it doesn't matter. I would guess that it is an 8 ohm speaker. I would get a 50 watt speaker, which one depends on the type of sound you are going for.

Easiest way to find out is with a Volt-Ohm-Meter, it's just the name of a standard meter with settings for testing various components. Remove one of the speaker leads and you can read the ohms on a ohm/resistance setting.:)

Easiest way to find out is with a Volt-Ohm-Meter, it's just the name of a standard meter with settings for testing various components. Remove one of the speaker leads and you can read the ohms on a ohm/resistance setting.:)

. . . which will give you the DC resistance of the speaker, not its nominal impedance. Fortunately, for speakers they are often close, so an 8 ohm nominal speaker might read 6 ohms DC resistance for example. Just don't think that's a generally applicable rule, because on a transformer it could be very wrong.

These days, such devices are usually simply called (digital) multimeters.

almost all amps have the same impeadence (Ohms) and a 25/30 watt would most likely use an 8 ohm

it is a tube amp. Me Checking the ohm, requires buying a metre. I need to be frugal as possible.
This is on sale for $3 at the store, if you have HFT in your neck of the woods. It works just fine (I have several of them.)
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=90899
90899.gif

Also available online for $5, and you pay shipping.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90899

allo, My old traynor has a mystery speaker in it, and it doesn't say the ohm or anything, so what ohm would a 25/30 watt amp use? and yeah, the wattage as long as its on par and higher whats the deal?
thanks!

probably 8 ohms, maybe 4 per here

Looks like only the 80W ones were spec'ed out @ 4 ohms.

Back