New Raw guitar sound any good?

TylerDrums109

www.myspace.com/tarecording you guys think this is a good place to start from?...all i did was administer a low pass filter and pan the guitars to liking...any comments are welcome and appreciated...please only constructive criticism. Thanks Please forgive the slightly out of tune guitar

without context I can't say.

by itself it's lacking any real body. sounds mostly like preamp distortion. this could work if placed correctly.

FWIW, I don't care for it though.

It'd be nice if you would post clips someplace other than MySpace.

It sounds like a beehive inside a glass jar. It's very fake sounding like it was done with Amplitube or some other horrible digital distortion program. Your playing isn't bad but you really need to use a real amp.

your playing is godd but i agree withthe others the soundn is kida flimsy...

it sounds like it has been synthethsized to death...

save up your money and get a decent amp and good luck !

:)

Overly harsh crits so far i think. Although i agree its a bit fizzy, its impossible to tell if its usable without the other componants of the song in there.

Might sound like fun when you play it solo......but wait til you try mixing it.

The less distorted you record it, the easier it will mix later. If this is an amp, then rethink your settings and mic choice and mic placement. If this is a pod or a plug of some kind, then think about getting an amp. Otherwise, learn to program the thing and take more control over the sound.

Simple fact is you dont need that much distortion to get your point across.

If this is an amp [...]. If this is a pod [...]

I thought we should easily hear this, shouldn't we? :p

@tyler: absolutely not my guitar-tone and not my genre, but nice playing and I do think this sound could work in a mix. in this genre there IS tons of distortion going on and wouldn't be surprised if a lot of pro stuff was made with software plugs.

Last edited:
I thought we should easily hear this, shouldn't we? :p

@tyler: absolutely not my guitar-tone and not my genre, but nice playing and I do think this sound could work in a mix. in this genre there IS tons of distortion going own and wouldn't be surprised if a lot of pro stuff was made with software plugs.

Like MANY have said, it's easier to get a decent sound with a POD, but if you know what you're doing a real amp will beat it every time. It's pretty easy to screw up micing a cab.

Also, I've never heard of a pro band using a modeler. Or a SS amp for that matter.

Like MANY have said, it's easier to get a decent sound with a POD, but if you know what you're doing a real amp will beat it every time. It's pretty easy to screw up micing a cab.

totally... unless the amp itself sounds shittier than the modeler - which does happen.

Also, I've never heard of a pro band using a modeler. Or a SS amp for that matter.

Just because there's no evidence that something was used, doesn't mean it's proved that it wasn't used.

:D

totally... unless the amp itself sounds shittier than the modeler - which does happen.

Absolutely. Even being a "Tube" amp doesn't automatically make it better. There are some real shit tube amps out there too. Then, add in the fact that very few guitarists know how to get a good tone, or even know what good tone is, and you're fighting a huge uphill battle. Don't even get me started about drummers and tone......... :eek: :D

Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree (Also produces Opeth) has said he uses the Line 6 Pod in the studio all the time. In an interview he said something along the lines of "I use it to jot down ideas quickly, but sometimes the sound is just good enough to leave as is."

Dimebag Darrel and George Lynch both used solid state Randalls in the studio for a long time, also.

Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree (Also produces Opeth) has said he uses the Line 6 Pod in the studio all the time. In an interview he said something along the lines of "I use it to jot down ideas quickly, but sometimes the sound is just good enough to leave as is."

Dimebag Darrel and George Lynch both used solid state Randalls in the studio for a long time, also.

LOL. Ever hear of endorsement deals? :D Yeah, those SS Randalls sound fantastic, that's why they are pretty much worthless. Are you really saying they are great sounding amps? Really? Have you ever heard one? I saw a video of MW working on a project, where he explained the bass setup. They were using a behringer bass thingy (don't remember which one) in combination with a DI and a mic'd cab. He explained how it was "used" in the mix to satisfy an endorsement deal. While technically it was used on the album, it wasn't really there. He said that is a common occurrence.

And again, I've never said you can't get great sounds with the modelers. Sometimes it is the right sound for something. I've used them on projects. But I would guess that very few Pro rock recordings have distorted guitars done with SS or modelers.

I'm gonna put something together within the next couple days, and put some samples of different stuff I've worked on, with different tube, SS, and modelers to see if anybody can tell the difference, or at least which sound better. It won't be totally amp dependent, since it will be a bunch of different guitarists, but it will give some sort of idea.

Lastly, let me say this again too - the BIGGEST difference in sound on an amp is the guitarist. I'll take a great guitarist on a modeler over a hack like me on a Dumble any day. :D also, the room is HUGE to the sound of an amp. Modelers just don't have the depth. I'll usually run them thru an amp/speaker just to get some of that depth, or drench them in verb if it fits the song.

I just looked up Mr. Wilson. Here is what he actually said -

"Later on in the session, the more kind of generic heavy guitar tones, of course, you start cranking up Marshalls and you mic up Marshalls, and you get those better sounds, but some of the quirkier sounds I’m thinking of, definitely you know those are the kind of things that survive from the demo when I’m just using the Pod."

edit - and he also uses Bad Cat Amps live. Why not just use a POD???

edit2 - http://line6.com/artists/list/

you're telling me the room has a significant impact on a mic 4 inches from a speaker at over 100db. :rolleyes:

Yes, I am. Do you really think that 100db is only bouncing around the room everywhere except where that mic is? Really? What kind of mic are you assuming is being used? A figure eight would pic up a TON of the room sound. Cardoid less of course, but it's still going to be effected by the room. It's pretty inescapable.

Yes, I am. Do you really think that 100db is only bouncing around the room everywhere except where that mic is? Really? What kind of mic are you assuming is being used? A figure eight would pic up a TON of the room sound. Cardoid less of course, but it's still going to be effected by the room. It's pretty inescapable.

I record high gainers quite often with ribbons, see sig, and thats not my experience.

I record high gainers quite often with ribbons, see sig, and thats not my experience.

Your sig link ain't working.

So, let me ask this - where does the sound go then? Do you think taht when you listen to an amp, you only hear the direct sound? You don't feel you're getting any added depth by micing the cab? Why are you micing it then? It seems kind of crazy to think you are getting only direct sound - especially with a figure eight. Sure, the direct sound is dominant, but to say it is the only sound in the mic is ridiculous.

Back